ptimber-ny

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: ptimber-ny

Post by suanj »

Si Maurizio, grazie per avermelo detto; io e Peter ci scriviamo normalmente, e anche se adesso il forum fila più liscio, manca quel "quid" di Peter, che conferiva un non so che di simpatico... non capisco come potessero prendersela, era così pittoresco qui!...ciao e grazie, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
gavin

Post by gavin »

I'm sure one P Timber will be absolutely delighted with the amount of time this forum has spent discussing HIM
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

"I'm sure one P Timber will be absolutely delighted with
the amount of time this forum has spent discussing HIM."

I am sure he would be very grateful for the fine words of Maurizio and Suanj.

I started out at the GenForum Italy site. I got involved because I thought PTimber was very rude to many. So I would then start answering their questions and by pass whatever Peter had to say. Over time, I began to understand Peter much better.

His methods of operation are different from some of us. What he learned about genealogy he learned many many years ago. It was a different animal back then...not so driven by the computer and instant access to information. Yet, what he passed on is as true today as then...there are no short cuts to finding out what you need to know...you must do the research.

I always thought that giving as much help as I could helped the individual. By giving them a head start, it enabled them to understand that the information was out there and with direction, they could succeed in finding their family roots. Peter thought that you should give direction and let the person find out the information for himself. He may have had a real point with this...so many want more and more and have no understanding of the time it took you to find what you did. It could be that we are so well informed that it took only 30 minutes to find what other's would take hours to do. Yet, many times, no one respected the 30 minutes of our time.

But, like many who do this a long time, it becomes frustrating over time to help people who expect results and then never really thank you. Oh...many people are truly appreciative...but many do take advantage and you loose patience.

The older I get, the more frustrated I feel when people ask what I consider to be "un-thought-out" questions. People who state they have no information and you spend a couple hours looking through the census and Ellis Island or where ever and then post to them only to be told thanks, but "I already knew that". Nothing is more frustrating when people don't tell you what they know or it takes 4 or five postings to get names and places from them. People can not think logically some times and it gets like pulling teeth to get to the facts you need to help.

In a politically correct world, Peter may have been on the wrong side of the tracks. Yet he was honest enought in how he felt to just come out with it. If you ignored him, most of the back and forth could have been avoided. A personal note could have been done rather then airing it all out in public. In other words, many who complained of his behavior did not exibit better behavior, more generous, more understanding.

I do think he was short...but as was eloquantly pointed out by Maurizio, once you get to know him you understand him so much better. Some of his shortness has to do with his age relative to many of you...he is set in his ways. Some has to do with his impatience for suffering fools gladly...though he sometimes had trouble identifying who the true fools were. Some has to do with the fact that he wants to feel useful as we all do and feel appreciated.

One thing about Peter...he never left anyone out there without a response. It may have not been what you would have stated, but he acknowledged them all. And often he was more helpful then not. You think what he told them was too basic....but for those just starting out, nothing is too basic.

Peter is at other sites offering the same services. He is a little more gentle to your way of thinking, I am sure. So the impact has been good. But he is a good man and without him, I would not have helped all those people I have over the past 8 years or so.

He is my friend...and I am proud to call him that.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I agree!
W Peter!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

While I have nothing to say about Peter Timber, I would like to comment about the growth of this forum since his departure. In my humble opinion, there is no better forum in terms of activity, friendliness, and quality. There are many knowledgeable members who consistently respond to postings and who cooperate with each other in assisting the poster. A new posting today resulted in responses from mtjp, suanj, brujaojos, essgee, and wldspirit; where else can one go to receive such experienced and friendly help. I believe this approach encourages new members and lurkers to participate, which leads to even more activity on the forum. I must thank Edmondo and all of the “mastersâ€Â
John Armellino
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Dear John,

First of all, I am sending you a hug in spirit....:P

I joined the forum almost a year ago. By helping or least trying to help, I have learned a great deal about Italian-American immigration. I am proudly Canadian, and live in a city where immigration is common. I have developed a greater respect for those people who have had the courage to leave their birth town and basically start all over again in a strange but friendly land.... How difficult must it have been for our ancestors?? How difficult is it for those immigrating today.

I have become pretty good friends with many of those who help - on the forum... and behind the scenes... we have communicated by e-mail, by snail mail, XBox live even, and by phone. I have had so much fun. I am wishing that one day I could meet in person - the many I have become friends with.... at times wishing there was a Genealogy Convention somewhere... where all of us could attend. That’s how I personally feel about the people I have come to know.

To those having the courage to post, admitting that they are stuck, and providing (at times) - very personal information... I salute you.

To those who almost gave up the forum and managed to stay on, I salute you.

To those, who joined the forum to get answers, and now are giving answers, I salute you.

To those who have studied history, immigration, laws, documents... and reply with solid answers, I salute you.

And to the one who stood up and was heard... I salute you too...

Maria (mfjp)
Toronto, Canada :P