family of dominick valentino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kweber2

family of dominick valentino

Post by kweber2 »

I am looking for family of Dominick Valentino who married Jennie ( dudgeon, didgeon, was her maiden name) they had 5 children: anette, caroline, patsy, marie, and frances. children were born in Huntington, NY and PA. I found a census record with Dominick and the kids stating he arrived in America in 1915 but no further information as to what ship or what part of Italy he was from. I do know Jennie died soon after having all the children. any information would be greatly appreciated. I am also on ancestry.com connecting pieces.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: family of dominick valentino

Post by suanj »

kweber2 wrote:I am looking for family of Dominick Valentino who married Jennie ( dudgeon, didgeon, was her maiden name) they had 5 children: anette, caroline, patsy, marie, and frances. children were born in Huntington, NY and PA. I found a census record with Dominick and the kids stating he arrived in America in 1915 but no further information as to what ship or what part of Italy he was from. I do know Jennie died soon after having all the children. any information would be greatly appreciated. I am also on ancestry.com connecting pieces.
Hi here your Domenico VALENTINO (or Valentini):

Domonick Valentine

United States World War I Draft Registration Cards

Name: Domonick Valentine
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1917-1918
Event Place: Suffolk County no 1, New York, United States
Nationality: Italy
Birth Date: 07 Jan 1889
Birthplace: Crecehio, , Italy (CRECCHIO, IT)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530

possible arrival:
First Name : Domenico
Last Name : Valentini
Nationality : Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence : Crecchio, Italy
Date of Arrival : March 29th, 1911
Age at Arrival : 22y
Marital Status : Single
Ship of Travel : Cedric
Port of Departure : Naples
Manifest Line Number : 0025
pag 1 http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... SUYiOw==/1
pag 2 http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... SUYiOw==/1

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kweber2

Post by kweber2 »

I am not sure if that is him, on the census record I found it said he was not in the military. I appreciate the assistance!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes he don't was in the military.. he worked in Huntington as a laborer no in the military..
abt: United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Name index and images of draft registration cards for World War I. Three registrations occurred between 1917 and 1918. The 1st was held 5 Jun 1917 for men ages 21-31. The 2nd was held 5 Jun 1918 for men who turned 21 since the 1st registration. The 3rd started 12 Sep 1918 for men ages 18-45. The collection includes cards for 24 million men. The cards are arranged by state, by city or county, by local draft board, then alphabetical by surname. While images for all draft cards are available in the browse the index is 96% complete. The index is not yet complete for Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Puerto Rico, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin. The draft registration cards are part of Record Group 163, Records of the Selective Service System (WWI), 1917-1939, and is National Archives Microfilm publication M1509.

In 1917 and 1918, approximately 24 million men living in the United States completed a World War I draft registration card. That accounts for approximately 98 percent of men in the U.S. born between 1872 and 1900. The total U.S. population in 1917-1918 was about 100 million individuals, so close to 25 percent of the total population is represented in these records.

The WWI draft registration cards database can be an extremely useful resource because it covers a significant portion of the U.S. male population in the early twentieth-century. If you had family in the United States during WWI, you are likely to find at least one relative’s information within this large collection. In addition, these cards contain more than just names and dates; they can contain significant genealogical information such as birthplace, citizenship status, and information on the individual’s nearest relative.

On 6 April 1917, the United States declared war on Germany and officially entered World War I. Six weeks later, on 18 May 1917, the Selective Service Act was passed, which authorized the president to increase the military establishment of the United States. As a result, every male living within the United States between the ages of eighteen and forty-five was required to register for the draft.

The period of 1880-1920 was a high immigration period to the United States. Young men were required to register for the draft regardless of their U.S. citizenship status. Of course, not all the men who registered actually served in the armed forces, and there were some who enlisted and served in the war but did not register for the draft.

I am pretty sure that is your ancestor..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, by ship's manifest the father first name was: Pasquale...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

1925 census :
( in Italian )

Nome:
Domnard Valentino

Data di nascita:
circa 1890

Luogo di nascita:
Italy (Italia)

Luogo di residenza:
Huntington, Suffolk

Parentela:
Head (Capofamiglia)

Appartenenza razziale:
White (Europoide)

Numero di anni negli Stati Uniti:

Distretto assemblea:

Numero di riga:

Numero di pagina:

Membri del nucleo familiare:

Nome

Jennie Valentino 35 ( born in Italy.. from 11 years in USA so arrived abt in 1914)
Antonett Valentino 11
Francis Valentino 09
Patrick Valentino 07
Caroline Valentino 06
Christ Valentino 03
Mary Valentino 02

Dominick from 15 years in USA, so the 1911 arrival could be right...; Jennie was born in Italy also, maybe her first name could be Giovanna.. the maiden name spell is a mystery for me..
http://s14.postimg.org/xqntl6ho1/Valent ... census.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/xqntl6ho1/Valent ... census.jpg
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

You can try abt Valentini line in Crecchio civil records - microfilms by familysearch.org https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/110912
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

abt Jennie... I don't know her name.. if you have other helpful infos... maybe we can search...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kweber2

Post by kweber2 »

is it common to find three or more spellings for Dominick and all the records to be him? Domenico, Dominick, and Domnard.....I have found records in all these names I just didn't think it was correct. Also, my grandmother did mention Dominick did have a brother or cousin August/ Augustino. Also as for being Domnard, all the children names match except Mary- would be Marie (patricia was her middle name) and Christ, there was never any mention of this family member. I will keep searching for information about jennie. Thank you once again!!!!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

these first names are no the right spelling ... but just the record transcription on line,
as the transcribers have interpreted the census compiler's handwriting...
you can correct it.. anyone can correct... if interested....
if you have the subscription to ancestry.com, you can correct and the right name will be showed also....
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kweber2

Post by kweber2 »

My grandmother also mentioned she knew of one relative of Dominick, his name was August he was either his brother or cousin and he had a wife but she thought she stayed in Italy. I found an August and MAry Valentino on ancestry.com August born 1895 and arrived in 1921, Mary born in 1894 and arrived in 1929. Do you think this could be the correct relatives also? I did email someone about Crecchio Italy connections as well. I understand names get translated wrong I just want to be 100% sure I am connecting with my correct family.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes I knew abt August Valentino ( Valentini), here the 1930 census:

August Valentino

United States Census, 1930

Name: August Valentino
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1930
Event Place: Huntington, Suffolk, New York, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Birth Year (Estimated): 1895
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1921
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
August Valentino Head M 35 Italy
Mary Valentino Wife F 36 Italy
I don't Know if the his first name was Augusto/Agostino right or he changed in USA... I cannot find the arrival by this first name...
I found a Giustino VALENTINI matching the age, the wife name, Maria, the Birth place, joining at brother Domenico in New York(?)... I don't know if is the right record...
First Name : Giustino
Last Name : Valentini
Nationality : Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence : Crecchio
Date of Arrival : October 5th, 1920
Age at Arrival : 25y
Marital Status : Married
Ship of Travel : Argentina
Port of Departure : Napoli
Manifest Line Number : 0011

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kweber2

Post by kweber2 »

wonderful I am so glad that August is Dominick's brother! I contacted a family member and she confirmed hearing that my grandmother and her husbands mother did in fact have another brother that died at a young age ( explains Christ, which I found the death record for) and the most likely reason it was never mentioned was because my grandmother was 6 and her sister that lived with my family was only 2 around the time of his death so they more then likely simply forgot. Do you know of a way to find death records for Jennie or Dominick? Also how do I go about looking in Crecchio for current relatives?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I cannot realize what was jennie maiden name... It is a mystery.. "dudgeon, didgeon" maybe Di Giovanni???
Abt the distant relatives in Crecchio.. you can make a genealogic tree abt your Domenico, with siblings, searching as much data possible, so you will have the certainty abt siblings data... and after that you can contact some Valentini in Crecchio, the addresses by phone directory
http://www.paginebianche.it/?excmp_id=pspb35
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kweber2

Post by kweber2 »

do you think Juanita could be the full version of Jennie? I found one of my grandmothers sister on a site that has all information correct and states her father as Dominick and mother as Juanita (juano) Valentine.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Juanita seems spanish... meaning little Juana..
in italian spelling, Juana and Jennie = Giovanna
the maiden name could be also DE GRANDIS..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH