Giovanna Montagnino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TZolo

Giovanna Montagnino

Post by TZolo »

I hope that with little information being known about this person.. (a possible cousin of mine)
Someone could help me locate the exact location for her and her family members in my family tree.

Giovanna Montagnino is believed to be a cousin of my relative Antonino Galioto.
Giovanna Montagnino was born in About 1892 in Lercara Friddi, Italy.
Giovanna Montagnino actually came with my relative Antonino Galioto to Italy.
They came on April 17, 1909

The link below is to the record on Ancestry.com.
Both names are their (Giovanna Montagnino and Antonino Galioto)

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... plz0q3dpid

I've discovered that Antonino Galioto's parents were Giacinto Galioto and Antonina DiPiazza, (sometimes seen shortened as Piazza)
Antonino was born on October 11, 1891. (a cousin found his birth certificate online).

It is believed that Giovanna Montagnino had a brother Salvatore Montagnino. (Not sure when he was born or if he emigrated from Italy to the United States.

I hope that someone can help me find the proper place for Giovanna and Salvatore.

Thanks so much!

Trevor Palazzolo
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Giovanna Montagnino

Post by Tessa78 »

TZolo wrote:I hope that with little information being known about this person.. (a possible cousin of mine)
Someone could help me locate the exact location for her and her family members in my family tree.

Giovanna Montagnino is believed to be a cousin of my relative Antonino Galioto.
Giovanna Montagnino was born in About 1892 in Lercara Friddi, Italy.
Giovanna Montagnino actually came with my relative Antonino Galioto to Italy.
They came on April 17, 1909

The link below is to the record on Ancestry.com.
Both names are their (Giovanna Montagnino and Antonino Galioto)

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... plz0q3dpid

I've discovered that Antonino Galioto's parents were Giacinto Galioto and Antonina DiPiazza, (sometimes seen shortened as Piazza)
Antonino was born on October 11, 1891. (a cousin found his birth certificate online).

It is believed that Giovanna Montagnino had a brother Salvatore Montagnino. (Not sure when he was born or if he emigrated from Italy to the United States.

I hope that someone can help me find the proper place for Giovanna and Salvatore.

Thanks so much!

Trevor Palazzolo
Hello Trevor :-)

Just an FYI...

On page 2 of the manifest you posted both Antonino Galioto and the passenger (Stefano) on the line ABOVE him give their destination as "cousin Salvatore Montagnino at 504 East 13th St., NY"
Giovanna gives her destination as "brother [unreadable name] at 219 Pamar(?) St., NY"

T.
TZolo

Post by TZolo »

Robin,

Thanks so much for realizing that about Stefano.. I don't recognize that last name at all (I've actually never come across that last name "Dillisciandra" ever in my research). I did see that Antonio Galioto list his cousin as Salvatore Montagnino and that name next to Giovanna is unreadable to me as well.

I didn't realize that the cousin Salvatore Montagnino was attached to Stefano as well. He's a new person with a last name I don't recognize and have no place for in the tree.

Am I reading Giovanna's birth certificate correctly? Does it list her father as Michele Montagnino? & I have no clue what the mother's name is. I don't know much Italian and I use a translation service to locate the message.

Thanks so much for uncovering these discoveries for me!
Ever little information helps!
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robin B Mc »

Yeah, just because Giovanna and Salvatore share the same surname does not necessarily mean they are siblings - they could be cousins, even very,very distant cousins. I found an immigration record of my ancestor arriving with a woman whose maiden name was the same as this ancestor's husband so I assumed she was the sister of the husband. But she was not. Italian surnames are very regional so you'll see many, many people with the same surname from the same town and while they are all related somehow, their connection might go back several generations. Don't assume they are siblings.

So here's what you know:

Giovanna Montagnino b. 1892
Father: Michele Montagnino b. abt. 1862
Mother: Caterina Salermo?

Antonino Galioto b. 1891
Father: Giacinto Galioto b. abt 1845
Mother: Antonina DiPiazza

What you need to find:

The parents names of all four of these parents listed above. How do you do that? The online records only go back to 1862. You can check the online records from 1862 onwards for Michele, and maybe also the mothers since we don't seem to have an idea of when they were born. If you don't find them, you'll have to order the microfilm which goes back further to 1820: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Once you have all of the grandparent's names of Giovanna and Antonio, you can see if any of them match and if they are therefore first cousins. If not, they might be second or more distant cousins - or perhaps not at all. It's more likely that Salvatore is a close cousin to Antonio so I would research him.

You don't know much about Salvatore but can find him on the US census records to find out more. You know in 1909 he was living at 504 East 13th St in NY so there's a good chance he is at the same address in 1910 - look in the 1910 census for that address. If you can't find it by search engine, use Stevemorse.org's ED finder. Once you have an approximate birth year for him from the census, you can look for his birth record.

ETA: Scratch trying to find Salvatore by address in 1910, I went ahead and looked but 504 13th st can be found here and there's no sign of Salvatore or any other Montagnino: http://interactive.ancestry.com/7884/44 ... 9806_01047

However, there is a Salvadore Montagnino here: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... h=18984268
TZolo

Post by TZolo »

Robin,

Thank you for the information about Salvatore:

Being that I don't know much about Salvatore (Who he married, if anybody? Perhaps he died without even ever marrying etc. There's lots of possibilities with him).

However, as for Giovanna,

I found this using Familysearch.org.. Turns out she got married to Salvatore Garia.
(I've never heard the name before.. but it does provide both his and her parents names.

I've created a tree on Ancestry.. just for this group of people.. Until I can ever find an actually relationship with between Giovanna and my relative Antonino Galioto, I'll keep all information there.

But here is what I found:

Name: Salvatore Garia
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 05 Mar 1911
Event Place: Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Birth Year (Estimated): 1887
Birthplace: Sercara, Priddi
Father's Name: Antonino
Mother's Name: Reona Concetta
Spouse's Name: Giovanna Montagnino
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Age: 18
Spouse's Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Race: White
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1893
Spouse's Birthplace: Sercar, Priddi
Spouse's Father's Name: Michele
Spouse's Mother's Name: Caterina Galerno

Hopefully, using this, I can find other information.. Putting it on Ancestry now.
TZolo

Post by TZolo »

I found this information on Family Search:

Name: Caterina Loria
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 19 Apr 1917
Event Place: Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Residence Place: 228 E. 73 St.
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Birth Date: 08 Sep 1915
Birthplace: U.S.
Burial Date: 19 Apr 1917
Cemetery: Calvary
Father's Name: Salvatore Loria
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Giovanna Montagnino
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

So, clearly, one child was born and died. (And buried at Calvary) -- which I've been to. Several Relatives are buried at Calvary.
I'll be calling soon and asking if I can get an actual plot location, then posting the location on Find-A-Grave.come (Another useful site) and perhaps someone can get to taking a picture on my behalf if I don't get a chance to do it soon myself!
spookie

Post by spookie »

Hello all - I am hoping someone can help me....I recently got results from a DNA test and found out I am somehow related to the Montagnino family from Lercara Friddi, Sicily. I recognized many of the names posted on this board....Giovanna Montagnino fron 1892, Michele Montagnino and Caterina Galerno - also Salvatore Loria.....problem is I don't know exactly how I am related. The closest match I received was a 2nd cousin named Salvatore Montagnino.

Is there anyone very experienced in genealogy who can help me figure out how I am connected to this family?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.