Family Tree Matches

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Family Tree Matches

Post by salveminif »

My great grandfather is Vito Leanza married to Josephea Pappalardo (This was the farthest that I traced back in my family tree). Their son is Vincenzo Leanzo as noted below as in my family tree. I received a notice of a "match" through one of the tree builder programs and noticed that the match is most likely correct with much more info. Can someone tell me what the additional name Masullu in parenthesis means? In this case it is Vincenzo Leanza (Masullu). I would appreciate any assistance.

MY TREE:
Vincenzo (James) Leanzo
Grandfather
1881 - 1956
Parents: Viti(o) Leanzo and Josephea Leanzo (born Pappalardo)
Wife: Giuseppa (Josephine) Leanzo (born Mirenda)
Children: Umberto (Alfio), Concetta (Mary), Bessie, Jean, Bioggio (Benny), Alfred, Josephine, Rosario (Santo) and Nunzio

MATCH FROM ANOTHER TREE:
Vincenzo Leanza (Masullu)
born 1881
Parents: Vito Leanza (Masullu) and Giuseppa Pappalardo (Leanza (Masullu))
Siblings: Nunziata, Francesco, Salvatore, Giuseppa, Antonino, Alfio and Alfio
Wife: Giuseppa Mirenda (Leanza)
Daughter: Concetta
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Family Tree Matches

Post by adelfio »

Get you back a little further don't know about Masullu
Marriage of Vito Leanza and Giuseppa Pappalardo

Record #53
1871 July 10th in the town of Bronte appeared Vito Leanza age 27 son of deceased Nunzio Leanza and Nunzia Ciraldo married Giuseppa Pappalardo age 18 daughter of deceased Francesco Pappalardo and the living Grazia Pappalardo

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2013622

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Thank you so much Marty truly appreciated. Happy New Year
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Can't you contact the owner of the other tree and ask what it means?
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

I have tried but have not had a response from him
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Nunzio Leanza and Nunzia Ciraldo
1838 May 17th in the town of Bronte appeared Nunzio Leanza age 22 son of Francesco Leanza and Scholastica Saitta married Nunzia Ciraldo age 20 daughter of Nunzio Ciraldo and Maria Longhitano

PG LINK TO RECORD LEFT SIDE 2 DOWN

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Marty, that is amazing and exciting! How are you finding these records. I too have been to the familysearch site and there are many named Leanza the one above is definitely related. Is there an index that you are using? I am amazed that you found two of my family records in record time...
Thank you so much for going above and beyond. This is my father's side of the family and I know very little about them so to get this far is truly wonderful for me. Thank you, Frances
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Marty, that is amazing and exciting! How are you finding these records. I too have been to the familysearch site and there are many named Leanza the one above is definitely related. Is there an index that you are using? I am amazed that you found two of my family records in record time...
Thank you so much for going above and beyond. This is my father's side of the family and I know very little about them so to get this far is truly wonderful for me. Thank you, Frances
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You are welcome
In searching Italian civil records you have birth(nati) death(morte) marriage (matrimoni) by year most go from 1866-1910 some towns have other years. Indexes are found at the beginning or end of the year you are searching by index number and surname.There are also multi year indexes which combine 5 or 10 years of indexes
Babies are born then presented to the civil official of the town usually within a few days of birth for entry in the birth registry. If there is a problem and they cant register the birth act until much later they are entered in the Parte 2 for that year usually in the rear of the records and that record is usually handwritten. Sometimes there are sidenotes with marriage or death information or if the act has a mistake in it a correction to those mistakes
Marriage records include birth town, ages, occupations, parents names, if they are deceased
Death records have age parents if they were married and to whom and usually town of birth
Civil records are signed by the civil official and 2 witnesses not usually family members
The indexes for the churches in Italy of baptism and marriage and death are arranged by first name first (later years last name first) by year and date of the act and page and record number. Just find your person in the index and go back to the records to find the act you
Church records of Bronte
PG LINK TO RECORD
Marty

Marty
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Marty this information is helpful. So that I understand, I am looking for a birth record for Umberto Leanza born June 16, 1906 in Bronte. The link that you sent is one that I have gone to in the past and it does not have any birth records for the year 1906 UNLESS hopefully I am missing something. I have another forum active in trying to find out about this relative who is my uncle. I am learning that my grandparents were not married when Umberto was born and I wanted to see his original birth record. I did visit Bronte but failed to get a copy of Umberto's entire record from the register. Please see my other forum on this site "Leanza and Mirenda Marriage Record" for clarification. Thank you again for your help. Frances
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There are no records of 1906 of Bronte online but they are on film you view and copy at your local Family History Library
Civil registration of births, marriages, banns, marriage documents, deaths, miscellaneous documents, foundling births, citizenship records, birth documents, death documents for Bronte, Catania you need this film
Nati 1905-1910 -- Indici decennali (nati) 1886-1915 -- Pubblicazioni 1894-1906 Film #1804563

FAMILY HISTORY LOCATOR
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

ORDERING FILMS FROM FHL
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ory_Center

ABOUT ITALIAN RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... al_Records

ONLINE CLASS FOR TRANSLATING ITALIAN RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... 22Italy%22

I don't know if you have this record

Marriage record of Antonino Mirenda and Vincenza Castiglione
Record #106
1884 Sept 20th in the town of Bronte appeared Antonino Mirenda age 30 son of Vincenzo Mirenda and Nunzia Meli married Vincenza Castiglione age 19 daughter of Vincenzo Castiglione and Nunzia Minissale

PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Marty
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Marty,

Your attention to this is greatly appreciated. I did not realize that there was a local family research center (actually there are several where I live in CT). I plan on visiting one of them as soon as I can this week. I will look at the other links and familiarize myself with the research tools, etc. And, yes I do have the record of my great-grandparents Antonio Mirenda and Vincenza Castiglione. Thank you and I am still amazed at how quickly you can find these records. Thank you again and God Bless you. Regards, Frances