Avanzato & Sachli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Ed A. Westleigh

Avanzato & Sachli

Post by Ed A. Westleigh »

Looking for the past family of Angelo Avanzato born 07-June-1878 in Girgenti {Girgento}, Italy whom married Grazia Sacheli born +/- 1881 in Italy. They traveled to Portland, Maine, US. They traveled to Portland, Maine, US in 1913 to meet his brother Degio. Found most of this data on ship passenger listing for SS President Wilson sailing from Palermo. With their son Dominick.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Avanzato & Sachli

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome! :D

Here is the birth act in Canicatti, Agrigento, in 1910, of their son Domenico Avanzato.
Dated 28 June 1910, at 8:30 AM
Before the official at the town office, appeared Angelo Avanzato, 32, worker, residing in this town, to declare that at 10:30 PM, on the 27th of the current month, at the house at Via Risorgimento #288, to his wife, Grazia Sacheli, housewife residing with him, was born a male child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name DOMENICO.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1946817

Naturalization Petition of Domenico Avanzato in Portland, Maine

Here is the POSSIBLE birth act of Angelo d'Avanzato (the name appears to have had a prefix) in 1878 in Canicatti. Naming of his own son, Domenico, follows the naming tradition.
Dated 2 May 1878
Appearing was Domenico d'Avanzato, age 36, peasant farmer residing in Canicatti, to declare that at 11:30 PM on 21st May at the house at S. Nicola Quarter #71, to Maddalena Ferro, his wife, a spinner, residing with him, was born a male child who was presented to the official and given the name ANGELO d'AVANZATO.

The prefix (d') also appears on the arrival manifest.
Here is the Detained Passengers list for Angelo and family in December 1919 on the Pres. Wilson

HERE are the original manifest pages... there are 2.
Page one indicates that Angelo is - Leaving brother-Diego d'Avanzato in Canicatti; and Page 2 states he is -Joining brother-in-law - Carmelo Sacheli in Portland, Maine.

Page 1
Page 2

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Continuing with more records... :-)

Here is the marriage act of Angelo Avanzato and Grazia Sacheli in Canicatti in 1901
Dated 12 January 1901
Angelo was age 22, single, a farmer born in Canicatti to deceased Domenico [Avanzato] and to Maddalena Ferro
Grazia was age 18, single, a housewife born in Canicatti to [living] Giovanni [Sacheli] and Rosaria Spina, residents of the town.
Banns of marriage were posted on 2 and 9 January.
Only the bride signed the act as the others were illiterate.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

And going another generation back... :-)

Here is the Request to publish marriage banns for Domenico Avanzato and Maddalena Ferro in 1869 in Canicatti

#140 (begins at the very bottom right of first image and goes to next page)
Dated 224 May 1869...
Groom: Domenico Avanzato, single, age 28, farmer residing in Canicatti; son of deceased Vincenzo, and deceased Antonia Fazio.
Bride: Maddalena Ferro, single, age 20, housewife residing in Canicatti; daughter of unknown parents.

Domenico presented his birth act showing his birth on 23 March 1841; and Maddalena, also presented her birth act in this town on 23 November 1849

Here is birth act of Domenico Avanzato in 1841

Father: Vincenzo d'Avanzato, age 45, farmer
Mother: Antonia di Fazio, 30
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

And birth act of Maddalena Ferro in 1849

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

And back another generation, still! :-)
Here is the marriage of Vincenzo Avanzato and Antonia Fazio in 1835...
Vincenzo is age 36, farmer born and residing in Canicatti, District of Girgenti; son of deceased Domenico Avanzato and of deceased Giacinta Calabro.
Antonia is age 21, born and residing in Canicatti; daughter of deceased Giacomo Fazio and deeased Diega Giarratana
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html

Domenico (born before 1779) - father of Vincenzo (born 1799) - who is father of Domenico (born 1841) - who is the father of Angelo (born 1878) - who is the father of Domenico (born 1910)

T.
Ed A. Westleigh

Tessa78

Thank you for all the data you have provided. Now to fill in the blanks and figure out where and what direction to head into next. The documents as well are a great source and proof of things.

The Dominick who was born in 1910, Married a local lady named Dorothy Loveitt. Their son Ronald Edward born 1941 is my uncle by marriage to Charlotte Ellen Westleigh. She asked me to figure the family history out.

Again thank you. This has been most interesting reading and learning of.

Ed.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ed A. Westleigh wrote:Tessa78

Thank you for all the data you have provided. Now to fill in the blanks and figure out where and what direction to head into next. The documents as well are a great source and proof of things.

The Dominick who was born in 1910, Married a local lady named Dorothy Loveitt. Their son Ronald Edward born 1941 is my uncle by marriage to Charlotte Ellen Westleigh. She asked me to figure the family history out.

Again thank you. This has been most interesting reading and learning of.

Ed.
Happy to help! :-)

T.
Ed A. Westleigh

Wow, that was quite a bit of things to sort through. But got it mostly done and correct I think. Left a few questions.

Where from Domenico Avanzato b before 1779 and died before 1835 do we go as well as his wife Giacinta Calabro whom as well had passed before 1835.

Parents of Maddalena Ferro born 1849?
Family into the past of Giacomo Fazio & wife Diega Giarratana ?
Also family's Giovanni Scheli & wife Rosaria Spina ?

I think I have all them right within questions. Guess the next to figure out is children, dates and where for each in more detail as well. Much to do and find.

Thank you again for a opening of knowledge and peek through the Italy door of family.

Ed
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ed A. Westleigh wrote:Wow, that was quite a bit of things to sort through. But got it mostly done and correct I think. Left a few questions.

Where from Domenico Avanzato b before 1779 and died before 1835 do we go as well as his wife Giacinta Calabro whom as well had passed before 1835.
Civil records began about 1809-1815 for most Italian towns. Earlier than those dates you would need to write to the local parish for church records of births and deaths and marriages.

Parents of Maddalena Ferro born 1849?
There are no parents listed on this birth act, as the child was abandoned. She was presented to the official by the woman who was the "receiver of the wheel" where children were left. When she presented this child to the official, it was the official who assigned a name (both given and surname) to the child. In this case, Maddalena Ferro.
Family into the past of Giacomo Fazio & wife Diega Giarratana ?
Also family's Giovanni Scheli & wife Rosaria Spina ?
For the above individuals, it would be the same issue as above... earlier records are only at the church. BUT you need to find out the actual birth town of each of these ancestors (probably in this same town) and write to the parish priest.
If you wish to search for death acts for Fazio, Giarratana, Scheli and Spina, here is the link to the Canicatti deaths from 1823 - 1865
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... tti/Morti/

I think I have all them right within questions. Guess the next to figure out is children, dates and where for each in more detail as well. Much to do and find.

Thank you again for a opening of knowledge and peek through the Italy door of family.

Ed

I hope this helps :-)

T.
Ed A. Westleigh

Tessa,
Seems you are right quick and there to answer of things. Thank you for that. More things and ways for me to explore. It is all good to know and keep in mind of how and what.

So if I read this correct: Parents of Maddalena Ferro born 1849? There are no parents listed on this birth act, as the child was abandoned. She was presented to the official by the woman who was the "receiver of the wheel" where children were left. When she presented this child to the official, it was the official who assigned a name (both given and surname) to the child. In this case, Maddalena Ferro.

She was abandoned as a child. And the local service named her. 'Receiver of the wheel" interestingly way to put things. Thus being so will be good just to get dates and maybe a burial location for Maddalena Ferro d'Avanzato.

You have much helped and shown the way of things, and well appreciated and used. Hope the harvest season is good for you this fall. Also many praise your talents and knowledge.

Ed.
Ed A. Westleigh

Canicatti, District of Girgenti, Agrigento, Italy hope that is full correct way to put the location of things.

Name Vincenzo Avanzato
Spouse Antonia Fazio
Mother Giacinta Calabro
Father Domenico
Birth 1799 - Canicatti, Agrigento, Italy
Marriage 11 Jan 1835 - Canicattì, Agrigento, Italy

Name Antonia Fazio
Spouse Vincenzo Avanzato
Mother Diega Giarratana
Father Giacomo
Birth 1814 - Canicatti, Agrigento, Italy
Marriage 11 Jan 1835 - Canicattì, Agrigento, Italy

Popped up in Ancestry.com after added names.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Your entries look good :-)

As to Maddalena Ferro - I will see if I can locate a death for her.
It appears she was still living in 1901 at the time of Angelo Avanzato's marriage.

"the wheel" was exactly that = called the "Ruota degli esposti"

Here are some articles you may find interesting about "the wheel"
http://www.abruzzogenealogy.com/infant- ... zo-molise/
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/08/ ... ist-world/
http://www.unisob.na.it/inchiostro/index.htm?idrt=4500

EDIT TO ADD:

Death Act of Maddelena Ferro in 1904 in Canicatti

Dated 24 July 1904 at 11:05 AM at the town office.
Appeared Nicolo Patti, 40, worker residing in the town; and Salvatore Sena, 30, worker residing in te town; to declare that at 8:10 AM today, at the house in Via Noce #34, died Maddalena Ferro, age 56, housewife residing in this town; born in this town to unknown parents; widow of Domenico Avanzato.
Witnesses to the recording of the record: Calogero Mattina, 47, worker; and Santo Turco, 40, worker.

T.
Ed A. Westleigh

Tessa,

And once again it seems you have found more for me to look at read and learn from. I am good with Americanized English but lose within the other languages of the world. But with google translate page on recall I get through them when typed out. Read of the 'wheel' and figured out I knew of it but did not connect the thought & memory fast enough. But was well re-informed of the knowledge once again. Which is good.

Also you have found a bit more for me to marvel upon. Death time & date for one and a narrowing down of another for now is known again that Domenico had predeceased his wife as well.

Ed.
Ed A. Westleigh

Alright here I go with calculated dates using the rule of birth after 16 years of age and the notes of whom was living when and when.

1} Domenico Avanzato Born before 1779 in Italy married Giacinta Calabro also of Italy Born before 1780 both died before 1835.

2} Vincenzo Avanzato Born between 1796-1799 in Canicatti, District of Girgenti, Agrigento, Italy whom married in 11 Jan 1835 Antonia Fazio Born 1814 in Canicatti, District of Girgenti, Agrigento, Italy to Giacomo Fazio & Diega Giarratana both of whom were born before 1798 and died before 1835 in Italy. Both Vincentzo & Antonia had died Between 1841–1868..

3} Domenico d'Avanzato Born 23 MArch 1841 Canicatti, Married in May 1869 22nd or 24th Maddalena Ferro a child of the wheel born 23 november 1849. He died before 1901. She died 0810 24 July 1904 in Canicatti, District of Girgenti, Agrigento, Italy.

4} Angleo Avanzato Born 2330 7 June 1878 in Canicatti, District of Girgenti, Agrigento, Italy whom on 12 January 1901 married Grazia Sacheli born 1881 to Giovanni Sacheli & Rosaria Spina whom had passed before her wedding. Angelo died before 1978 in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine, United States of America & Grazia died 19313 in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine, United States of America.

Many things found and noted.
Ed A. Westleigh

Through out the week I have found a few more children and some records as well. Again thanks to Tessa for all the help, direction and knowledge shared.

Working upon parents & family of Govanni Sacheli & Rosenia Spina to find of. Hopefully can find other places to look as well.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Giovanni Sacheli and Rosaria Spina
INDEX#19
1882 Feb 4th in the town of Canicattì marriage of Giovanni Sacheli age 27 farmer a widower born and resides in Canicattì son of Salvatore Sacheli and Grazia La Cola married Rosaria Spina age 17 born and resides in Canicattì daughter of Carmelo Spina and Giuseppa Vona

PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty