Surname: Aceto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Surname: Aceto

Post by mfjp »

Hi DLL.,
This is so fun...It is like a great big jigsaw puzzle. I am visiting the library in early December to see if I get find naturalization papers. I will let you know. DLL
You can research naturalization papers at your library? I'm in Canada, so .. not sure about researching American Naturalization records through a Library... I know they can be ordered via snail mail...

And now I am wondering whether there is Family History Film of Naturalization records...

Anyone know?

The www.familysearch.org site isn't running properly or I would check myself..
Also her second child was Nicholina, easy to misspell with an Italian accent.
I thought there was just one child born in Italy... so Nicholina-Nicolina was Teresa's second child? I don't recall seeing her name on the census. Will have a look...

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

about the birthplace... could be : AGEROLA in Napoli province.... The Aceto and the Apuzzo surname most diffused, and also many Aceto and Apuzzo in Connecticut coming from Agerola... just an suggestion...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

suanj wrote:about the birthplace... could be : AGEROLA in Napoli province.... The Aceto and the Apuzzo surname most diffused, and also many Aceto and Apuzzo in Connecticut coming from Agerola... just an suggestion...
suanj
The term "diffused"... I think suanj means "scattered throughout"

mfjp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

A good book on this subject is:
They Became Americans: Finding Naturalization Records and Ethnic Origins (Paperback)
by Loretto Dennis Szucs

Naturalizations in America depend on the time period (year) and these laws were changed by congress from time to time. There is no central collection for records before 1906. After 1906 INS was the reposittory for a copy of all declarations of intent and naturalizations that occured. So you may find a copy of the record with the court that performed that naturalization, but a copy would also be with INS.

Before 1906 you have to look for the court that performed the naturalization and find out where they have archived these records. Naturalizations can occur in a county, state or federal court.

LDS may have the record, if they have microfilmed the court records for a certain location that includes naturalizations. NARA may also have the record if the court that performed the naturalization sent those records to NARA for archival.

Also before 1922 (I don't have the book with me and so not sure of this year, but it is the early 1920's) women derived their citizenship status from their father or husband. So an American born female could marry and alien (not naturalized) and loose her citizenship. This amazed me! But an alien could marry an American born male and become a citizen.

Also naturalization requriements were changed after WWI and WWII to enable men who served in the armed forces the ability to become citizens with waiting as long.

Hope this gives a little insight. The above book covers the subject well.
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeborahLar »

Still looking for Pietro Aceto's birthtown. It turns out that Teresa Apuzzo was the one who came from Agerola. I have been working with a geneolgist in Italy and there are no Pietro's born in Agerola in the 1800's. Now I have no idea how to find Pietro's birthtown. His father's name was Raffaelle. Any ideas where to go from here? I have his papers of citizenship but they do not name his ancestrally village.

Deborah Aceto Larsen
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

DeborahLar wrote:Still looking for Pietro Aceto's birthtown. It turns out that Teresa Apuzzo was the one who came from Agerola. I have been working with a geneolgist in Italy and there are no Pietro's born in Agerola in the 1800's. Now I have no idea how to find Pietro's birthtown. His father's name was Raffaelle. Any ideas where to go from here? I have his papers of citizenship but they do not name his ancestrally village.

Deborah Aceto Larsen
this seem very strange... all infos let us think that was from Agerola... maybe we can see the negative reply of Agerola Town hall, just for understand what they searched.....
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

if someone have ancestry.com access, if it is possible to show us theis ship's manifest:
PIETRO ACITA
OCCUPATION Laborer
AGE 21
SEX M
LITERACY U
ARRIVED 15 Feb 1888
ORIGIN Italy
PORT Naples
LAST RESIDENCE U
DESTINATION New York
PLAN Unknown
SHIP Olympia
PASSAGE Unknown

thanks, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

best guess suanj's manifest
1888 manifest for Acita
line 25?
Prisco Orisal?
---

suanj, the transcription on ancestry is pretty awful :(
these are the search results for Olympia 15 Feb 1888,
born 1866-1868
Valarie

Crasa Brienza 15 Feb 1888 abt 1868
Vincenzo Calandriello 15 Feb 1888 abt 1868
Mariantonia Carnevale 15 Feb 1888 abt 1866
Felice Cichetti 15 Feb 1888 abt 1867
Francesco Deangelis 15 Feb 1888 abt 1866
Rosa Dechote 15 Feb 1888 abt 1868
Romarico Denardo 15 Feb 1888 abt 1866
Leonardo Di Longo 15 Feb 1888 abt 1866
Pedlow Francesco 15 Feb 1888 abt 1866
S Giano 15 Feb 1888 abt 1867
Perone Giovanni 15 Feb 1888 abt 1866
Silvester Giovanni 15 Feb 1888 abt 1867
Leonardo Grano 15 Feb 1888 abt 1867
Vincenza Lanzuillotta 15 Feb 1888 abt 1866
Alfonso Lopore 15 Feb 1888 abt 1868
Mrs. Rosa Maria 15 Feb 1888 abt 1866
Prisco Orisal 15 Feb 1888 abt 1867
Orena Rinaldi 15 Feb 1888 abt 1867
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi valerie, thanks, it is Pietro Acita wrote.... maybe Aceto.... the other surnames are all southern Italy surnames.... hI cannot understand because Agerola said that Pietro no born... this is very strange.. on the Joseph Aceto draft registration card it seem born in Agerola... dear valerie you can show us the draft registration card of Joseph... maybe we can read better the town name.. kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

suanj wrote:Hi valerie, thanks, it is Pietro Acita wrote.... maybe Aceto.... the other surnames are all southern Italy surnames.... hI cannot understand because Agerola said that Pietro no born... this is very strange.. on the Joseph Aceto draft registration card it seem born in Agerola... dear valerie you can show us the draft registration card of Joseph... maybe we can read better the town name.. kisses, suanj
Hi suanj!
Happy to help!
1917 WWI Draft Registration for Joseph Aceto
(may be slow to load)
Sorry I haven't answered until now,
I was out of town for a bit.
Valarie
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeborahLar »

Thanks to all who have been trying to help. As far as Pietro Aceto's ancestrally town I am still at a loss. The naturalization papers say that Pietro is from "Italy". I had hired a researcher to help and this is all they could find on Teresa Apuzzo but nothing on Pietro. Not sure where to go from here.

Dear Deborah:

As you already know, our Consultant Felice Marciano traveled to Agerola to see whether through the town hall and/or the church he could get some information that would help to determine the exact place of birth.

This was the outcome:

Thanks to the kindness of the town hall official of Agerola, Mrs. Russo and to the Parish Priest of the church of SS Annunziata Father Domenico, Felice was able to research all the birth marriage and death records available in Agerola and there is nobody with the last name Aceto born, married or deceased there in the second half of the 1800s.

In the civil vital registration records Birth indexes Felice was able to find a Maria Teresa Apuzzo daughter of Giuseppe and of Orsola Acampora born in Agerola in 1862.

There are three other siblings of this Maria Teresa Apuzzo.

Here is the list:

Birth Index for Caterina Apuzzo daughter of Giuseppe (Apuzzo) and of Orsola Acampora – 1853 (Birth act n. 121)
Birth Index for Alfonso Apuzzo son of Giuseppe (Apuzzo) and of Orsola Acampora – 1858 (Birth act n. 17)
Birth Index for Maria Teresa Apuzzo daughter of Giuseppe (Apuzzo) and of Orsola Acampora – 1862 (Birth act n. 86)
Birth Index for Filomena Apuzzo daughter of Giuseppe (Apuzzo) and of Orsola Acampora – 1865 (Birth act n. 28)

Following your last email, Felice contacted the town hall of Piedimonte San Germano located in the province of Frosinone (years ago Piedimonte was part of the province of Caserta ). Unfortunately also in this town, there is nobody with the last name Aceto married or born there.

Please let us know what you would like to do next. Perhaps if you think that the Teresa Apuzzo we found in Agerola is the right Teresa married to Pietro Aceto we could continue researching her family backwards.

I look forward to hear back from you.

A presto e grazie,

Bianca Ottone

---------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca Ottone

Founder and Managing Director

My Italian Family, LLC

6597 Upper York Road

New Hope, PA 18938

T: (888) 472-0171

F: (866) 728-8919

E: biancaottone@myitalianfamily.co
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeborahLar »

Just a hunch but I think that Teresa Apuzzo is from Agerola but that Pietro might have immigrated from Italy to Canada to Utica New York then to New Haven, Connecticut.

Pietro had Aceto relatives in Utica, New York and sent his son Raffaelle to school in Utica. He never returned to New Haven. Also in the 1900 census it states that Teresa did not speak English but Pietro did. I think he may have been in the US longer than I originally thoiught. He first appears in the New Haven, Connecticut city directory in 1901. The first Acetos appear in New Haven in 1893. Guiseppe Aceto who was a laborer adn Nicola who was a shoemaker. (Pietro was also a shoemaker an Nicola appears to be a family name)
NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NOLA »

There are still Aceto surnames in Cosenza. Castrolibero is just outside the city. One of my cousins is married to an Enrico Aceto. His father lived in a small village above Paola in the province. He ran a bakery.
NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NOLA »

There is a Pietroangelo Aceto on the Ellis Island manifest list who came here May 25, l906. He was 23 years old. He listed Santa Caterina as his home town which could be Santa Caterina Albanese which is in the provincia di Cosenza.
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeborahLar »

Still have a brick wall after all this time. The earliest Peter Aceto appears in the US is the New Haven, CT census in 1900. Before that I can find him no where. I can find no military records for him. I sent for his naturalization papers but all it says is that he is from Italy. Any suggestions on where to go from here?