Citizenship Through Jure Sanguinis

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Angel25

Citizenship Through Jure Sanguinis

Post by Angel25 »

I have finished gathering most of my documents and will soon have them translated into Italian. I was hoping I could share my lineage background so others could say whether my citizenship application is likely to be approved or if there's a chance it could be declined.

My great-great grandparents moved from Italy after their marriage to the United States in the mid-1890s.

They had about 8 children including my great-grandfather. He wasn't registered as an Italian citizen but he was an Italian citizen at birth because my great-great grandfather never renounced citizenship and never became a US citizenship.

My great-grandfather married my great-grandmother, who moved to the United States from Italy in the early 1900s.
They had my grandmother before 1948 but she was an Italian citizen at birth too because my great-grandfather was an Italian citizen at birth.

My grandmother had my mother in the 1950s so my mother was also an Italian citizen at birth

Then comes me, who is also an Italian citizen at birth

No one in the family knew that we were most likely eligible for citizenship until I began researching it and then had some consultations where I was informed I was able to go through my great-grandfather's line since he was an Italian at birth instead of my great-grandmother's line which would have required a court case.

1. I got both my great-great grandparent's birth certificates from Italy
2. I got their marriage certificate from Italy

But I am wondering how much of a complication these issues would be:

1. The birth certificate of my great-grandfather has the correct birth date and the correct address of birth
However, the name of my great-great father (possible one letter spelling variation at the end of his name).
The big thing is the name of my great-great grandmother was recorded wrong on the birth certificate. Whoever recorded it put a completely different first name and misspelled her maiden name. The completely different first name does sound similar to her name so what probably happened is the person recording it probably put down whatever they thought they heard, because it was in the late 1890s and I don't think either of my great-great grandparents knew much English, and from what my grandmother remembers about her grandmother (my great-great-grandmother).

2. US death certificates for both my great-great grandfather and great-great grandmother have slight variations in the day and year of their births when compared to their Italian Birth certificates. But it is them because the regions they emigrated from are the same and my great-great grandfather's has the correct parents. Maybe the date of births is a little off because my great-grandfather and none of his brothers or sisters had my grandparent's actual birth certificates. But the birth record for my great-grandfather matches their date of births according to their date of birth on their US death certificates.

They are 100% the same people, it's just somehow discrepancies between the Italian Vital Records and the US Vital Records resulted, along with some minor discrepancies in my great-grandfather's birth certificate.

Other than that, I have everything else. Is the consulate likely to grant me Jure Sanguinis Italian Citizenship once I have everything prepared and ready to go apply in person?

Do I need a lawyer to apply at the consulate or can I just do it on my own?