Creating a Delayed Italian Birth Certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Creating a Delayed Italian Birth Certificate

Post by MCKay »

Hi. I am wondering if it's possible to create a delayed birth certificate for my deceased Great Grandfather. The church record that contained his original birth certificate was burned up in a fire caused by a massive earthquake. The entire year is missing because of this fire. Does anyone know how would I be able to re-create this document or get a delayed birth certificate made?
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Creating a Delayed Italian Birth Certificate

Post by adelfio »

What year and what town ?
You can try the Archivio di Stato of the province of the town which holds 2nd copy of the birth act

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

Unfortunately they never registered with the state, only the church, so that second option is not available. I have personally gone to the town of Salaparuta to find this document. The book with my Great Grandfather's birth record was 100% destroyed. I would definitely have to re-create this document somehow.

They year was 1881.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

Here's an excerpt from wikipedia regarding the details of the destruction of the old town:

In 1968 the original site of the town was near epicentre of the Belice Valley earthquake.[1] As a result, Salaparuta was completely destroyed and rebuilt not far from the original location. The current Salaparuta is still home to many of the citizens of the old town.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Have you checked these records (births in Salaparuta in 1881)?

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Nati/1881/

Link to the index
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

MCKay wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 01:25 Unfortunately they never registered with the state, only the church, so that second option is not available. I have personally gone to the town of Salaparuta to find this document. The book with my Great Grandfather's birth record was 100% destroyed. I would definitely have to re-create this document somehow.

They year was 1881.
Why do you think your ancestor's record would even be listed in the book that was destroyed if they never registered with the state? The towns that held the books were/are the state. Regarding the baptism record? Is this a baptism record from a church in Italy or in the US?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Are you looking for Giovanni Bonanno birth act I checked 1881 not there but here is 1882
INDEX#44
1882 May 11th in the town of Salaparuta birth of Giovanni Bonanno son of Vincenco Bonanno and his wife Calogera Benenati

CLICK ON PG TO MAGNIFY BOTTOM LEFT SIDE
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

Tessa78 wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 05:06 Have you checked these records (births in Salaparuta in 1881)?

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Nati/1881/

Link to the index
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T.
Yes. I know of this record. This child died at an early age.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

adelfio wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 14:50 Are you looking for Giovanni Bonanno birth act I checked 1881 not there but here is 1882
INDEX#44
1882 May 11th in the town of Salaparuta birth of Giovanni Bonanno son of Vincenco Bonanno and his wife Calogera Benenati

CLICK ON PG TO MAGNIFY BOTTOM LEFT SIDE
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html

Marty
Yep. This is not the correct record unfortunately. I've come across this one a number of times gets me excited every time till I learn this child died prematurely.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

jennabet wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 11:09
MCKay wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 01:25 Unfortunately they never registered with the state, only the church, so that second option is not available. I have personally gone to the town of Salaparuta to find this document. The book with my Great Grandfather's birth record was 100% destroyed. I would definitely have to re-create this document somehow.

They year was 1881.
Why do you think your ancestor's record would even be listed in the book that was destroyed if they never registered with the state? The towns that held the books were/are the state. Regarding the baptism record? Is this a baptism record from a church in Italy or in the US?
Honestly I have no idea if they even registered with the church. If they did it would have been in Italy. The only reason I have to go off of is the fact that my GGF was very religious. But is there a point you are making here?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Born in 1881 or 1882 he should appear in a Lista di Leva in the Archivio di Stato and there may even be a Foglio matricolare.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

Italysearcher wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 18:18 Born in 1881 or 1882 he should appear in a Lista di Leva in the Archivio di Stato and there may even be a Foglio matricolare.
He is not there. I've checked.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

If your grand-father was never registered with the state or with the church, no-one is going to make up a an Italian birth certificate without a live witness who knew him before he left Italy. I know some people have gotten away with doing that sort of thing for a deceased person in the US and you probably read about it in one of these forums but that doesn't mean it's right or legal in Italy.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

So let me understand. Giovanni born in 1882 died in infancy but he was given the same name as a brother born a year earlier in 1881? That doesn't make a lot of sense. Usually a child who is born is given the name of one who was deceased earlier.
The Lista di Leva is not on-line.
Gli atti della leva sono raccolti nel fondo UFFICIO LEVA DI TRAPANI. Si tratta delle liste della leva di terra per i nati tra il 1840 e il 1914 e delle liste della leva di mare per i nati tra il 1900 e il 1926. Per ogni iscritto vengono annotati maternità, paternità, domicilio, professione , dati somatici e l'esito della visita (abile, riformato, rimandato). L'inventario delle fonti, ordinate per comune, è consultabile nel sito www.archivi-sias, Archivio di Stato di Trapani, Ufficio leva.
I suggest you write to the Archvio di Stato di Trapani, Ufficio leva.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

Italysearcher wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 20:09 So let me understand. Giovanni born in 1882 died in infancy but he was given the same name as a brother born a year earlier in 1881? That doesn't make a lot of sense. Usually a child who is born is given the name of one who was deceased earlier.
The Lista di Leva is not on-line.
Gli atti della leva sono raccolti nel fondo UFFICIO LEVA DI TRAPANI. Si tratta delle liste della leva di terra per i nati tra il 1840 e il 1914 e delle liste della leva di mare per i nati tra il 1900 e il 1926. Per ogni iscritto vengono annotati maternità, paternità, domicilio, professione , dati somatici e l'esito della visita (abile, riformato, rimandato). L'inventario delle fonti, ordinate per comune, è consultabile nel sito www.archivi-sias, Archivio di Stato di Trapani, Ufficio leva.
I suggest you write to the Archvio di Stato di Trapani, Ufficio leva.
Yes. I already hired a geanelogist to do this last year. The boy listed in the index is not related to my grandfather. Does anyone know how to re-create a birth certificate that was destroyed???