Italian Antenati Website Problems

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Italian Antenati Website Problems

Post by rp76226 »

More often than not, the Italian Antenati website for civil records is either extremely slow or down the last few weeks. Anyone know why?
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Italian Antenati Website Problems

Post by adelfio »

I think usage issues and adding new info

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Yes, I agree with Marty. Keep trying...it does work with patience! ;-)
Lynne
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Ron,

How many towns are you working in? Why don't you just download all the records for them once and be done with it?
saccolicious
Rookie
Rookie

Post by saccolicious »

carubia wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 03:41 Ron,

How many towns are you working in? Why don't you just download all the records for them once and be done with it?
Am I missing something? Is there a quick and easy way to do this other than clicking on the image to enlarge it, saving it, and moving on to the next one? Which really takes forever even just for one year's worth of records.
See my Pescara site: noccianogenealogy.wordpress.com

My areas of research:
Province of Pescara: towns of Civitaquana, Nocciano, Catignano, Pianella
Province of Avellino: towns of Montemiletto, Torre le Nocelle, Taurasi
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Carubia, I'm almost there with one town - Racalmuto, Agrigento, Sicily. It has taken me years to get close to almost having it all (at least in terms that most likely pertain to my family). Here's the link to what I do have (organized in photo Galleries, click on a gallery to see all the photos for that gallery, then click on any photo to see in large size)-

https://pumafamily.smugmug.com/Photos-Civil-Records

I know of no fast way to download all the birth, marriage, and death records for a single town, especially in an organized fashion such as to get all the indexes together (especially when multiple years of records are grouped together, making it slow to find all the indexes within that one group of years). Also very slow and difficult to screen out and copy the records with just the names I want to see so that I don't need to wade through many thousands of records. Having all the records without any organization would not be helpful to me. I had an opportunity, for a reasonable price, to buy all 15,000+ church records for Racalmuto dating to the 1500s, many of which are in Latin. I choose instead to have the genealogist who has those records screen plus interpret the records most likely to be relevant to me.
I would love to have, again in an organized fashion, the records by index and key family names only, for the towns of Altamura, Grumo Appula, Petralia Soprana, Cerda, Corleone, Polizzi Generosa, and Carpinone. It would save a lot of time and probably provide new family members.
Allegati records seem to have no organization and for a person who doesn't read Italian except for a few key genealogical words and numbers, Allegati records are way beyond my capabilities to review though I have been told that these records can contain a lot of good data if you can find the ones pertaining to your relatives.

Ron
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I have created an Excel file that will go to the website and download all the images in that folder or for that year. You can also specify an image and download all the rest in that folder. You can list up the comuni, record types, and years you want and have the program loop through the list, downloading the collections into separate folders.

Other people have created similar programs. I used one that was a stand-alone app, but it had limited functionality so I created my own. The limitation of mine is that you need a Windows computer with a version of Excel that is not too old.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

It would probably take a couple of days to DL everything on Antenati for Racalmuto. The reason why it takes so long is that Antenati's website goes down frequently and the connection breaks. The problem then is that I would have all the files on my laptop and I'd need to send them to you somehow. The Antenati Ribera folder on my computer is 10 GB, so Racalmuto would probably be of similar size.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Ron, I could DL all the Racalmuto files onto my computer, zip them into several files of size about 1 GB each, and UL them to a file sharing site such as MediaFire. Then you could DL the files from the account I create on that site, and unzip them on your computer. Do you have an application on your computer, such as WinZip, that will unzip files?
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

While I have unzipped small zipped files before, I don't see a program on my computer specifically for unzipping a file. Does your program easily isolate just the indexes? That alone would be a great help. It's not difficult finding a record the normal way when first identified from an index.
If you just did indices in jpeg format, that would be small enough in size that I could send you an upload link from the same website that I used to send my previous link. I already have many of the indices for Racalmuto per my previous link. it would be great to get the rest of them for Racalmuto, plus the indices for those other towns I listed.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

It would not be easy to DL or zip just the indexes. Their file names when you DL them from Antenati are not distinct from the file names for ordinary records.

If you can unzip small files you can unzip large ones.