having trouble making a Ridolfo connection

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MelNorris9760
Rookie
Rookie

having trouble making a Ridolfo connection

Post by MelNorris9760 »

Hello!
I hope I can only slightly bother someone to help me in making a connection on my tree. I am looking to find the father of Nicholas Ridolfo so that I can tie his family into my tree. I know there is a connection, through DNA and I also have Ridolfo surnames in my tree. The info I have on Nicholas Ridolfo is below:
Nicholas Ridolfo - born April 9, 1893 in Nicosia, Italy. This info comes from his naturalization papers. He was living in Baltimore and working in a barber shop that my great grandfather Vincent Mancuso (b. 1888-d.1986) owned. Vincent was a witness on the naturalization document. Nicholas arrived here in Baltimore around 1983 or 1895. I don't have the manifest or anything to prove that only two census docs that list those dates as immigration dates. (95 is most likely as it is in most sourcing) He was married to Mary L in 1912 as stated in the 1930 census.

I don't have any more info than that on Nicholas though I do have his descendants. But my great grandfather's, mother's maiden name was Ridolfo (Maria Ridolfo Mancuso, she may have even been married prior to Mancuso to a Fiscella) and back in Nicosia where they are all from, it seemed rather incestuous with many Ridolfos, Mancusos and Fiscellas all married amongst each other. If anyone has any need for more info on siblings or other Ridolfo's beside my great great grandmother that are in my tree, please let me know.

My question is, can anyone look for the birth record for Nicolas Ridolfo b. April 9 1893 in Nicosia, most likely? I would greatly appreciate any help to tie him into my tree.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: having trouble making a Ridolfo connection

Post by Biff83 »

I did not find a Nicola Ridolfo in the 1892, 1893 or 1894 birth indexes for Nicosia. Are you sure about the birth date?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Below on the right is his Petition for Naturalization which states his father naturalized in 1903. On the left is his father's 1903 naturalization showing his father's name was Nicholas (Nicola) also. I suspect his mother's name was Caterina. Key would be locating the 1900 and/or the 1910 census for the family.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1910 census for Nicola Sr. and Jr. and family. Note some children born in New York. Also, it looks like Nicola arrived first in 1892 followed by daughter Mary and son Nicola in 1894; possibly the children emigrated with their mother who would have travelled under her maiden name and the children might have been indexed using her maiden name rather than her married name.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

4 March 1891 Nicosia birth act for Nicolo Ridolfo, son of Nicolo, 28, a farmer and a 8 May 1893 birth for a Maria Giuseppa Ridolfo with same father. Both children from an unnamed mother. Mary and Nick Jr. on the 1910 census.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 1.jpg.html

Biff
MelNorris9760
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MelNorris9760 »

Wow, Biff...you have done so much! Thank you! I never anticipated that they were going by the surname Rudolph although I was aware that Rudolph could be a translated name for Ridolfo. In Baltimore, they have all been Ridolfos in everything I find.

I am very curious though, why on the Petition of Naturalization, it states Nicolo's birthday as April 9th, 1893? Yet, the 1920 census says he was born in 1892, and the birth record you found says March 4, 1891.

I also see in that Census it says that the father Nick Sr. is widowed, but that several of the children were born in Maryland and one was born in New York, so I'm guessing that the mother passed away in New York. This is all very exciting to find, I can't thank you enough, I was very stuck! I will look for the family in the 1900 census in MD.

As far as the Certificate of Naturalization, I hadn't seen the Maryland Certificate before, so thank you. How do you know that is his father and that you are guessing the mother's name was Caterina? I don't see any dates or names on that document except Nicholas Ridolfo.

I have several Ridolfo's in my tree as I stated before. My great grandmother is Maria Ridolfo born in 1850 in Nicosia to Nicolo Ridolfo b. 1823-d. 1872 in Valguarnera and mother Maria DiPasqualla.
Her father Nicolo Ridolfo 1823-1872 was born to Natale Ridolfo and Maria Fiscella.
There was also a brother for Nicolo 1823-1872 born from Natale and Maria, his name was Sigusmundo b. 1804- d.1884 I still don't have a way to tie Nicholas Sr. and Nicholas Jr. into my tree...the dates just don't seem to add up...
My great grandmother Maria, b. 1850, does have siblings that I have some birth records for. They are:
Guiseppe Ridolfo b. 1856 Nicosia
Vincenza Ridolfo b. 1867 Nicosia and
Lucia Ridolfo b. 1869 Nicosia.
I just can't figure how Nicolo Ridolfo Sr. born in 1863 or 1864 fits into my tree? How is he related? Could he be a son fo Sigusmundo Ridolfo?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

MelNorris9760 wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 17:47 Wow, Biff...you have done so much! Thank you! I never anticipated that they were going by the surname Rudolph although I was aware that Rudolph could be a translated name for Ridolfo. In Baltimore, they have all been Ridolfos in everything I find.

I am very curious though, why on the Petition of Naturalization, it states Nicolo's birthday as April 9th, 1893? Yet, the 1920 census says he was born in 1892, and the birth record you found says March 4, 1891.

I checked the 1886-1895 ten year index for Nicosia and there was only one birth act for a Nicolo-- the one which I posted.

I also see in that Census it says that the father Nick Sr. is widowed, but that several of the children were born in Maryland and one was born in New York, so I'm guessing that the mother passed away in New York. This is all very exciting to find, I can't thank you enough, I was very stuck! I will look for the family in the 1900 census in MD.

As far as the Certificate of Naturalization, I hadn't seen the Maryland Certificate before, so thank you. How do you know that is his father and that you are guessing the mother's name was Caterina? I don't see any dates or names on that document except Nicholas Ridolfo.

On his Nicolo Jr.s application he states his father was naturalized in 1903 in Maryland. The left hand side document is a copy proving his statement showing his father was indeed Nicolo also. I was incorrect in thinking his mother's name was Caterina.

I have several Ridolfo's in my tree as I stated before. My great grandmother is Maria Ridolfo born in 1850 in Nicosia to Nicolo Ridolfo b. 1823-d. 1872 in Valguarnera and mother Maria DiPasqualla.
Her father Nicolo Ridolfo 1823-1872 was born to Natale Ridolfo and Maria Fiscella.
There was also a brother for Nicolo 1823-1872 born from Natale and Maria, his name was Sigusmundo b. 1804- d.1884 I still don't have a way to tie Nicholas Sr. and Nicholas Jr. into my tree...the dates just don't seem to add up...
My great grandmother Maria, b. 1850, does have siblings that I have some birth records for. They are:
Guiseppe Ridolfo b. 1856 Nicosia
Vincenza Ridolfo b. 1867 Nicosia and
Lucia Ridolfo b. 1869 Nicosia.
I just can't figure how Nicolo Ridolfo Sr. born in 1863 or 1864 fits into my tree? How is he related? Could he be a son fo Sigusmundo Ridolfo?

The only sure way is to find Nicolo Sr's birth act which is available but only at a Family History Center or an Affiliate Library. Next time I'm at the Affiliate Library near me, I'll check for his birth act and post on this thread.
MelNorris9760
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MelNorris9760 »

Thank you so much for your help, Biff! I would be ever so grateful if you could do that at your convenience. I can't read Italian and don't know how to search the Italian records at all, so without your assistance I could not have found this information out. If you need any more information from me to help, just let me know. I'll just have to keep on trying to figure out how Nicholas Jr. and Sr. connect to my Ridolfo family for now!
All my best!
Melissa
MelNorris9760
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MelNorris9760 »

Also, could you repost the links to Nick Jr. and Mary Giuseppe's birth notices, please? Those links only take me to the index page of the records, not the actual records. Thank you!

Update: Nevermind...I think the message I am getting is saying that there are technical difficulties with the site, so hopefully it will be back up and running again soon! Apologies...
MelNorris9760
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MelNorris9760 »

One other quick question...would Palermo be a different place to look for these birth records? I know this isn't near Nicosia, but I see someone else has his birth location as there, even though it clearly state Nicosia as where he is from on the Naturalization papers...? Just a thought...
Biff83 wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 18:18 I checked the 1886-1895 ten year index for Nicosia and there was only one birth act for a Nicolo-- the one which I posted.
Jan Muus

Post by Jan Muus »

Ik zoek de familiegeschiedenis van Octavio Angelino, vermoedelijk geboren 1700 in Milano en naar Nederland geëmigreerd .
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I don't believe the Nicolo Ridolfos in question were from Palerrmo but from Nicosia.

Biff