Palermo - Birth and Marriage Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
trietta

Palermo - Birth and Marriage Records

Post by trietta »

How do I get records from Palermo? Working on the US-Italy Dual Citizenship, and was able to trace the following via Ancestry:

Great-Grandfather Phillip (Filippo) was born in Palermo. The index that I found has two dates:
27 maggio 1861 and 30 genn 1863. Ancestry had his dob as August 1862

His parents were:
Francesco Rietta (b. 1830) and Guisseppa Rizzo (b. ??)

Filippo immigrated to US in 1888.

Thanks!!
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Palermo - Birth and Marriage Records

Post by ffusiak »

There are two Fillppo Rietta listed in the Palermo - Nati, indici decennali › 1856-1865. Possible one of the more experience board members can direct you.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looking at the two entries, it is probable that the "first" Filippo born to the couple died, and that the next son born was given the same name.

You will need a certified copy of the birth act for dual citizenship, so you will need to write to Palermo (city) to request a copy (using the second date of 30 January 1863.

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Citta di Palermo
v865 n593

email:statocivileanagrafe@comune.palermo.it

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di atti di nascita Filippo Rietta di 1863 ottenere la cittadinanza italiano

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,

Mi chiamo YOUR NAME. Sono un cittadino americano discendente da Italiani e sto cercando di ottenere la cittadinanza italiana
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere il Vostro aiuto, poiche` mi necessita l’completo dell'atto di nascita, in formato internazionale di: Filippo Rietta fu Francesco Rieta nato a Palermo il jan 30th 1863
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.

YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Name: Philip Rietta
Birth Date: abt 1863
Death Date: 30 Nov 1919
Death Place: Birmingham, Jefferson, Alabama
Death Age: 56
Marital Status: Married
Father Name: Frank Rietta
Mother Name: Josephine
Spouse Name: Easter
FHL Film Number: 1908215
Wills and Probates: Search for Philip Rietta in Alabama Wills & Probates collection

Marriage certificate
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/61 ... PUBJs=true

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

adelfio wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 04:50 Citta di Palermo
v865 n593

email:statocivileanagrafe@comune.palermo.it

OGGETTO: Richiesta estratto dell'atto di nascita di Filippo Rietta del 1863, per ottenere la cittadinanza italiana

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,

Mi chiamo YOUR NAME. Sono un cittadino americano discendente da Italiani e sto cercando di ottenere la cittadinanza italiana
La ringrazio anticipatamente per volermi comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere l’estratto completo, in formato internazionale, dell'atto di nascita di Filippo Rietta, di Francesco e Giuseppa Rizzo, nato a Palermo il 30 gennaio 1863.
Se non avete voi i registri corrispondenti, potete fornirmi l’indirizzo dell’archivio in cui tali registri possano essere trovati?
In attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.

YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Thank you for your corrections to my letter

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Looking for information regarding Filippo Giuliano. Born in Palermo. I don't know the year. Died in Bronx, NY 1960. He arrived in the USA in the 1890s. I cannot find him on the Ellis Island records. His wife was named Maria. I've been told she was also born in Palermo and her surname was Fergale, but I think it may have been Fragale? They had their children in the USA. One son Rosario was born in 1911. He may have been named for Filippo's father. Other children around 1904, 1905. The family lived in the Bronx. I found a Filippo and Maria arriving in the USA in March 10, 1928. They are listed as citizens, passport certificate Passport 477757. Don't think this is the right family. Would appreciate your help.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This is possibly the marriage of Filippo and Maria ?

From NYC Marriage Index...

Giuliano Filippo Oct 15 1906 #26475 Manhattan
Frogal Maria Oct 15 1906 #26475 Manhattan

You can request this from NYC for a fee. It should have the names of their parents and place of birth.
https://www1.nyc.gov/dorforms/marriageCertificate.htm

Birth of daughter, Gaetana, in 1907 in NYC

Filippo Giuliano mentioned in the record of Gaetana Giuliano
Name: Filippo Giuliano
Birthplace: Italy
Sex: Male
Wife: Maria Fragale Giuliano
Daughter: Gaetana Giuliano

Name: Gaetana Giuliano
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 23 Aug 1907
Event Place: Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Race: White
Father's Name: Filippo Giuliano
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Father's Age: 23
Mother's Name: Maria Fragale Giuliano
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Age: 21

The family in the 1930 US Census??
Phillip Giuliana in the 1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Phillip Giuliana
Birth Year: abt 1884
Race: White
Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Home in 1930: Bronx, Bronx, New York, USA
Map of Home: View Map
Street address: East 151st St
Ward of City: A.D. 1
Block: M
House Number: 318
Dwelling Number: 9
Family Number: 52
Home Owned or Rented: Rented
Radio Set: Yes
Lives on Farm: No
Attended School: No
Able to Read and Write: Yes
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Language Spoken: Italian
Immigration Year: 1900
Naturalization: Naturalized
Able to Speak English: Yes
Class of Worker: Employer
Household Members:
Name Age
Phillip Giuliana 46
Mary Giuliana 45
Rosaria Giuliana 18
Lena Giuliana 16
Grace Giuliana 12
William Giuliana 5

*** If the US census above is the correct family... then the 1928 ship manifest you mentioned (and I have posted below) is the same family. The address at 318 East 151st St., Bronx is the same.
You will also notice that on the line above them is a Rose Fragale, also traveling back to New York.
It is possible that the family was visiting family in Palermo/Sicily. Filippo/Philip is a naturalized citizen according to the manifest, and likewise his family.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1923888

***EDIT TO ADD***

I believe that Filippo and Maria were from Sciara, Palermo.
Possible birth acts for them...

Birth in 1884 (correct year for Maria based on census records) in Sciara, Palermo, for Maria FRAGALE
F: Giovanni Fragale, 27, farmer
M: Maria Fragale, his wife, 34.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

AND - in the same town of Sciara
Born 1883, Filippo Giuliano.
Dated 22 December 1883 - born on 18 December 1883.
F: Rosario Giuliano, 21, farmer
M: Gaetana Di Pasuale.

Note: When Filippo was born his parents were not married...HOWEVER, there is an annotation in the margin notes that says his parents were married on 7 January 1884 (about 3 weeks after his birth) and Filippo is recognized as their legitimate son.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Did he have a son called Rosario Giuliano?

Marty

Marty
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Thank you for replying Tessa and Marty. The reason I am trying to research Filippo and Maria is because I have Philiip's 1960 mass card, so I know my parents attended his funeral because he was a relative. My Giuliano family is from Sciara however, a distant cousin who I recently discovered insist Filippo and Maria (his grandparents) were born in Palermo not Sciara. He stated they always spoke of their lives in Palermo. My grandfather Loreto Giuliano (Sciara 1848-1875) was the son of Rosario Giuliano and Antonina Mavero. I don't have their vital records. Nor am I aware of any other children they had expect for Loreto. My Rosario may have been born in Palermo and his wife Antonina from Sciara. This Filippo Giuliano may be a cousin of my Loreto. I don't think their father's both having the name Rosario is a coincidence. My distant cousin's dad is the Rosario Giuliano born in 1911. My grandfather only had one child, my grandmother.

I'll have to ask my cousin about the other children listed on the 1928 Ellis Island manifest. May be he is confusing hearing about this trip to Palermo, with them being born there....Do either of you have access to the naturalization document of Filippo? Shouldn't it list the town he was born?