Blind Marriage Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jrd01

Blind Marriage Help

Post by jrd01 »

Hello, my great grandfather came to America from Italy in 1910, 2 years before my great grandmother came in 1912. This was a blind marriage. Due to being a blind marriage, do you think their marriage certificate would be found in the USA or Italy?

I'm not sure which country would officiate this and I can't find a marriage date either.

Thank you for the help.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Blind Marriage Help

Post by Italysearcher »

You will probably find it in Italy performed under a 'procura' (power of attorney) just before she left for America.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What is the name and year of marriage record and the town in America ?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
arcturus

Post by arcturus »

What about the name and year of marriage record?
jrd01

Post by jrd01 »

arcturus wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 06:55 What about the name and year of marriage record?
I don't have a year for the marriage, just that the wife Margherita came from Frigento, Italy to USA in 1912 and her husband Vincenzo was already in the USA. So, I would possibly guess sometime right before 1912, I'm going to look harder into Frigento's marriage records.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I responded to your PM...

According to the ship manifest, Margherita Calo was listed as single.

First Name : Margherita
Last Name : Calo
Nationality : Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence : Frigenoto, Italy
Date of Arrival : March 2nd, 1913
Age at Arrival : 24y
Marital Status : Single
Ship of Travel : Italia
Port of Departure : Naples
Manifest Line Number : 0028

LIne 28 - leaving father, Francesco, in Frigento. Going to brother-in-law Raffaele di Leo in Waterbuty Connecticut.

https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/ ... cGciOw==/1

Here is a naturalization card for Vincenzo Decarolis in 1929 - it lists the cerficate #, etc.
Filed in the Common Pleas Court in Waterbury, Connecticut.

Vincenzo's Declaration of Intent and Petition to Naturalize might have the date and place of his marriage to Margherita Calo' listed. I would definitely contact the town office in Waterbury to inquire.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1840474

T.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
jrd01

Post by jrd01 »

Thank you for this information! Good to know the marriage must have took place in the USA. She came to Waterbury, CT. The vital records stated I must provide a marriage date to obtain the marriage document, therefore I will obtain her husbands Vincenzo's Naturalization documents in hopes of a specific date for marriage.