Part Italian? So, the rumors are true. Thanks to Ancestry I have found out that my only brother is only a half-brother, my sister is in no way related to me (news to her) and I have ten half brothers and sister I never knew. Try and keep up here comes the good stuff. My grandmother Flor and my grandfather Henry had four children together, my dad being one of those children. Within a year of the birth of his last child, Henry fell ill and ended up living his remaining years in a hospital. With my grandfather in the hospital, my grandmother carried on eventually meeting a married Italian man. After a short while, she moved him in and together they had three children. One of those children would later prove to be my biological father. Yes, my mother had an affair with her brother in law. Here is my question for anyone willing to ponder it. Is it reasonable to think that my married twenty-five-year-old grandfather left children behind as well? I have to admit it blows me away to think that I could have possibly have had Italian aunts and uncles.
He is what I do know about good ole grandpa.
Name: Augusto Merlonghi
Born: 1880 -1881 - possibly July
Married
Last permanent residence: Nerola Italy
Left Italy February 1906
Arrived in New York in March 1906
Crossed in Canada
Died in Toronto December 4, 1941
What I am asking for is help or suggestions on possibly locating possible family members.
Please know that I have a smile on my face as I write this. I shake my head wondering what I may find out next.
Best wishes to everyone following the same but different journey.
Lori
Oh Really?
Re: Oh Really?
Records for Nerola are available on Antenati - http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... no/Nerola/
-
Here is Augusto Birth (Nati) Record - (Record 21)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html
I also see a ship manifest (https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse ... cessSource) indicating he was married.
Name: Augusto Merlaughi
[Augusto Merlonghi]
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Nationality: Italian (South)
Birth Date: abt 1882
Birth Place: Verola, Italy
Departure Place: Naples, Italy
Arrival date: 19 Apr 1910
Here is Augusto and Maria DeAngelis marriage record (18) - http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 0.jpg.html
-
Here is Augusto Birth (Nati) Record - (Record 21)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html
I also see a ship manifest (https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse ... cessSource) indicating he was married.
Name: Augusto Merlaughi
[Augusto Merlonghi]
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Nationality: Italian (South)
Birth Date: abt 1882
Birth Place: Verola, Italy
Departure Place: Naples, Italy
Arrival date: 19 Apr 1910
Here is Augusto and Maria DeAngelis marriage record (18) - http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 0.jpg.html
Re: Oh Really?
Here a translation of the records
1904 Oct 30 Augusto Melonghi son of Angelo and Lucia Sebastani and Maria DeAngelis daughter of NIcola and Orsola Parij Marriage Publication
1881 7/08/1881 birth record of Augusto Melonghi son of Angelo Melonghi age 31 farmer and woman not a relative but not want to named at the time of birth
Marty
1904 Oct 30 Augusto Melonghi son of Angelo and Lucia Sebastani and Maria DeAngelis daughter of NIcola and Orsola Parij Marriage Publication
1881 7/08/1881 birth record of Augusto Melonghi son of Angelo Melonghi age 31 farmer and woman not a relative but not want to named at the time of birth
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Oh Really?
It would appear that Augusto and Maria had a Daughter - Annunziata in 1909
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Re: Oh Really?
Thank you I do appreciate your help. I'm just wondering if you have the right person because I have him in Canada at that time.
-
bbivona
- Master

- Posts: 1154
- Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
- Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani
Re: Oh Really?
The birth record appears to match the name, location, and date of birth of your ancestor. It also matches up that he was a child out of wedlock. The immigration record and the marriage record of Augusto seem to match nicely with the birth record, and the birth record of Annunziata seems to tie nicely to the marriage record. These are all public documents created as the events occurred. On the other hand, you "state that you "have him in Canada at that time." Perhaps it would be easier to reconcile these facts if you could tell us based on what evidence you "have him in Canada."Loriannp wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 04:14 Thank you I do appreciate your help. I'm just wondering if you have the right person because I have him in Canada at that time.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
Re: Oh Really?
I see the 1906 record arriving in NY, listing him as married and going to Canada. Since they were married in 1904, this may explain why no children were born until 1909. I suspected he went back to Nerola and then returned as do not see any other Augusto in the Birth or Marriage records.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704
Re: Oh Really?
Here a translation of the records
1904 Oct 30 Augusto Melonghi son of Angelo and Lucia Sebastani and Maria DeAngelis daughter of Francesco DeAngelis and Orsola Parij Marriage Publication the right translation
Marty
1904 Oct 30 Augusto Melonghi son of Angelo and Lucia Sebastani and Maria DeAngelis daughter of Francesco DeAngelis and Orsola Parij Marriage Publication the right translation
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Oh Really?
Marriage publication record act 1879 Dec 25 Angelo DeAngelis son of Pietro De Angelis and Annuziata Scagani married to Lucia Sebastani daughter of Angelo Sebastini and Antonia Sorbilli
PG LINK
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 2.jpg.html
Marty
PG LINK
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 2.jpg.html
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty

