Avellino transcriptions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rlw254
Master
Master

Avellino transcriptions

Post by rlw254 »

Hello all,
I am working on transcribing the stato civile records for some of my ancestral places around Avellino - right now mostly Grottolella and Montefredane.

Before I get too far I wanted to put this post out there to see if someone is already working on this, or if it is already available somewhere. Don't want it to be a massive waste of time!

R
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
rlw254
Master
Master

Re: Avellino transcriptions

Post by rlw254 »

I am currently finished transcribing all death records in Grottolella from 1809-1826 and Montefredane 1809-1815.

Please feel free to contact at any time for look-ups. Progress will be off and on, but I will update here as I finish with new year ranges.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

I think I will post the files here as they come. I'm also going to play around with putting each individual year on a blog of some sort for public access.

Here is Montefredane deaths 1809-1840 sorted by surname alphabetically.

Red names are explicitly stated as being dead (i.e. widow of____, or defunta/fu). If it isn't stated, I do not assume. Even if the person dying is in their 90s!

I attempt to standardize some names that might be written as variants, such as Aquino and d'Aquino, just to make it easier on myself. It's very possible that the form I use in the spreadsheet is no longer used there today, as things change over time.

This is really meant to be for reference, the primary records should be consulted to make sure the information is accurate. Chances are I've made a mistake or two :D

Next update will be 1841-1865 when I finish.

Interesting stats:
  • Mauriello surname had the most deaths in this year range with 88 total, followed closely by Spagnuolo with 80
  • The oldest person was allegedly 110, Stefano Giordano who died in 1826
  • The earliest birth date would be around 1714, Rosa Arcimauro, who died in 1811 at the age of 97
  • 1484 deaths were registered in this year range
  • The most enriched range of deaths was obviously children under the age of 10, but restricting the group to adults-only shows that most deaths occurred from age 55-65
  • The most common names for males and females were Antonio and Carmina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

I am finished with deaths in Montefredane 1841-1865.

I think for this town I will stop doing the deaths here - from 1866 onward there is consistently an index at the end of each year book (not the case for 1809-1865).

In this year range:
  • 1352 deaths
  • Most deaths were from the surname Gaita, with 90
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

If you are a Facebook user, you can contact group GeneaIndex.
They publish free lists of documents at https://sites.google.com/view/geneaindex/home
or you can contact them at geneaindex@gmail.com
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

I will do that, thank you :D
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

I'm back after a small break.

Here is the first set of Grottolella records - deaths from 1809-1840.

Quick note I haven't mentioned yet - I use the word furono loosely and will typically just highlight the father's name in red rather than both parents, regardless of the plural. In my own family I've sometimes found that this was used incorrectly if one parent was still alive.
Moglie

Post by Moglie »

Thank you so much for these transcriptions, especially the ones from Montefredane! They have been such a great help.
Family mystery solved? Montefredane.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

Glad you're finding it useful!
For these files I advise against using the search function because of spelling variations or mistakes. Just go to the surname of interest and look around for your person.

My plan for remaining records is:
Grottolella deaths 1841-1865
Montefredane marriages 1809-1865
Grottolella marriages 1809-1865
Maybe births after all this is done.
Moglie

Post by Moglie »

Thank you! It turns out I needed the Grottolella one also :)

I have the names for the early Montefredane marriage years on a Google spreadsheet here. Formatting is a little wonky, but it's a start.
Family mystery solved? Montefredane.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

Thanks - I'll have a look. Before you go much farther you should know that I have already finished Montefredane matrimoni through 1823. I was waiting to finish morti before continuing. Send me a message here if you'd like to collaborate and we can exchange emails.

I am reuploading Montefredane morti 1809-1865 here. This contains several fixes for errors that I've found while using these lists. I recommend anyone in the future use the most recent version.

I also realized I prematurely uploaded Grottolella morti 1809-1840 because I forgot to color red all deceased parents/spouses in the first 10 years or so. I went back to fix this, and additionally am now finished with Grottolella morti 1841-1865, so I am uploading here in one combined list.

I might be adding the village of Capriglia to my list - people from these villages moved back and forth and many Montefredane/Grottolella natives ended up in Capriglia.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

Montefredane marriages 1809-1865 sorted by groom surname and by bride surname.

Grottolella marriages next.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

If anybody is following this I had to take a large break and have not started yet on Grottolella marriages. I lost a significant portion of my records due to two (!) sequential hard-drive failures and am still reeling a bit :?

I plan on continuing soon.
westlakemom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by westlakemom »

I wish someone would do this for Colle Sannita and Circello. I could sure use the help.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

Grottolella marriages 1809-1865 sorted by brides & grooms.

Something new with this one that I was in the middle of doing before I lost some spreadsheets - some names are colored blue to represent a name that was not provided in the original record, but can be deduced from other records (i.e. death lists, my own research, etc.). Hope this helps.

Remember the search feature can miss entries based on spelling, mistakes by me, alternate names, etc. I recommend using it first to quickly find something but if the search is negative then look manually before giving up.

Capriglia deaths & marriages next? Haven't decided.