Stumped

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cannmum
Rookie
Rookie

Stumped

Post by cannmum »

Looking for marriage of

Anna Stapaso born May 7, 1892 (Italy is place of birth according to a birth certificate for her son Martin Harold Passaglia) - all other documents indicated California and always with the last name of Passaglia

married Amedeo Passaglia (born Jan 10, 1886 in Santa Margherita, Lucca, Italy) Amedeo's parents were Olimpio Passaglia & Ester Belluomini.

Sometimes her name is Anne Mary or Mary Anne

Thank you for your help.
Christine
cannmum
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Stumped

Post by cannmum »

Looks like Stopaso on the certificate for the birth of her son
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

Illinois marriages 1815-1935
Amadeum [Amadeo] Passaglia son of Olympii [Olimpio] & Esther Bellusmini [Belluomini]
Annam [Anna] Passaglia daughter of Petri [Pietro] & Ersiliae [Ersilia] Biancalana
Married 12 June 1909 Chiacgo, Cook, Illinois
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -FBR?i=401

Sp. Enrico Belluomini & Maria Biancalana

He was born 10 Jan 1886, she was born 8 May 1892 in Oakland, CA.

Amadeo Passaglia died in Illinois on 15 Sept 1963, buried in River Grove. He was naturalized there in 1943.

Looks like the couple can be found living in San Francisco on the 1940 census with the name Edward & Annie Passaglia living with daughter Mary Propery, sons John and Martin "Passsaghia"

13 Aug 1908 ship manifest into Ellis Island
Pietro Passaglia, 46, laborer, living in Carraia, Lucca, with wife Emilia [Ersilia]
Travelling with Maria Passaglia, 17, [Anna] Passaglia, 16, as well as some other Biancalanas on the same page but I'm not sure if they are related.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

14 July 1887 Capannori marriages
Pietro Passaglia, 25, laborer, son of Francesco Passaglia & Carmelinda Belluomini, both living in Carraia
Ersilia Biancalana, 26, daughter of Giuffredo Biancalana & Antonia Parenti, both living in Carraia
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
cannmum
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cannmum »

martin harold passaglia and annie.jpg

So, this is why we are stumped.
They said that his last name was corrected to Passaglia. The birthdate states May 22, 1919 but, his obituary and family members state his birthdate as April as do his draft registration cards.

It looks like the wife is Anna Stopaso
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cannmum
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cannmum »

Perhaps it's an I (i) instead of an S. The handwriting seems to look like the I in Italy.

Itoposo?
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

Their surname is obviously not Pasagotia and it was later corrected so I wouldn't give too much thought into what is written for her surname here. The marriage records above are clear. Normally it could be the surname from a first marriage but given her age I don't expect that to be the case. I expect "Pasagotia" came from Passaglia said with a heavy accent and there was likely a mark on the L that resembled a "t" cross.
cannmum
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cannmum »

Thank you for all your help!

Christine
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

I would say the only other slight possibility is that the first Anna that he married in 1909 died between then and the birth of Martin and he married again to another Anna. I'm considering this because there is a 7 year gap between the birth of Martin and the next youngest child, however his birth record indicates that this is the third child born to the given mother. I will keep searching but I think this is only a small possibility. Additionally on the 1920 census and onward, California is given as the birthplace of Annie just like it would be if she was the same as the 1909 Anna. There's an age discrepancy on the 1920 census for her but I think this is just an error as it is approximately the correct age gap between her and her husband on other forms.