Marriage records for Sellia (southern Italy) from 1927 or 26?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
miadeals

Marriage records for Sellia (southern Italy) from 1927 or 26?

Post by miadeals »

I believe my wife has ancestors who were married in Sellia in 1927. I believe it was an arranged marriage, because he lived in the US for 14 years at that point, she had never been to the US, and she was ~19 or 20 years old. They came to the US together in March 1927 and he was listed as a US citizen (I know when he was Naturalized and when he first got here, 1913) and she was listed on a separate page of the manifest as an Alien "never been to the US" and "traveling with her husband" and has his name. So I think he went back and got married and then brought here over.

I do not know if it would have been in her town (Sellia), but I think so because he was actually an orphan and it doesn't seem as likely that it would have happened in his adopted parents town (Savuci) but maybe? Or maybe somewhere else? I just don't know and I can't find any listing of the date of marriage. I just assume it happened right before they came over, so early 1927 or late 1926. Anyways, familysearch only has marriages through 1910 for Fossato (Savuci) and Sellia. Where can I find marriage certificates for 1927ish?

I'm also trying to get their Visa/Passport for the 1927 trip over but the US government said they can't do the research right now because of Covid closures and I will have to wait.

Their names were Giacomo Orlando (Orlandino originally before coming to the US) and Maria Angela Madia (sometimes Mariangela). I have both of their original birth certificates from 1897 and 1907.