From Rhodes to Tangier

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Snir

From Rhodes to Tangier

Post by Snir »

Hello!
I would like to ask you some several questions about my grandmother’s past:
Rebecca Farhi [today Rebecca Bencandil] was born in Rhodes in 1929.
Rebecca’s family included 9 souls which then considered as one of the most multi-child families all over Rhodes.
As the war progressed, enormous efforts have been made by the International Community to save the lives of as many Jews as possible. So, it was determined that some of the most multi-children Jews families [including Rebecca’s family- Farhi] will sail to a destination that will keep them safe [although that at first, it wasn’t known which place will accept to get Jewish families]. After a long “journey” from place to place, they arrived nearly 24 days after they left Rhodes to Tangier in 1939 - where they stayed for 6 years until 1945.

So, I would like to ask you if you have any documents or know something about that?
Also, do you have some knowledge about the organization that have helped them to exit Rhodes and enter Tangier, and maybe the names of the places they have been before entering Tangier?
If not, do you know a website / place / email address where there maybe answers to my questions?

I will bless any Information or document that will help me to understand more about my grandmother’s past.
I really appreciate your help and work,
Thank you very much,
Snir Ahiad Yehezkel,
[Email to contact me - Snir.yehezkel@outlook.co.il]