Antonio LOMBARDI from Province of Campobasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mercedesjay

Antonio LOMBARDI from Province of Campobasso

Post by mercedesjay »

My ancestor Antonio LOMBARDI left the province of Campobasso in 1886 to come to America. He left behind his wife (Maria Vittoria PETTI) who was pregnant and two small sons. They were living in the community of Roccaspromonte. I have tried to find the ships passenger list for Antonio but have had a difficult time in determining which one could actually be him. The are a lot of Antonio Lombardi's listed. He was born in 1860 and I am not sure what port he arrived at. His wife came to America six years later and passed through Ellis Island. How can I find Antonio's passenger list and know that it is actually his that I am looking at? Also, was it common for a husband and wife to be seperated for that many years when one traveled to America? They were apart for 6 years and according to family lore, Antonio never went back during those 6 years to see his wife or children. Coincidentally, the baby that his wife was pregnant with when he came to America was named Liberato....Does that mean liberated or freed?
Have been researching family for more than a decade in the provinces of Campobasso and Frosinone.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Antonio LOMBARDI from Province of Campobasso

Post by suanj »

Hi.. you sure that antonio born in 1860.. here are a A. Lombardi coming from Campobasso( Roccaspromonte was in Campobasso province), but age 23 in 1886...
A. Lombardi Occupation Laborer
Age 23
Sex M
Literacy U
Arrived 29 Jun 1886
Origin Italy
Port Naples
Last Residence Campobasso
Destination New York
Plan Unknown
Ship Trinacria
Passage Unknown

it are several similar records also, as you said, but it is impossible to say perfectly.. it need to see all records directly on the ship's manifest and no by extraction...

abt your request... yes was very common are so long time separated, especially when no money... you must to think the emigration cause... and I believe that the first years, for all italians emigrated in foreign country, well the first years was very strong.. and no possible to send money for family travel... and again: Liberato is a Saint in Italy.. and for all catholic peoples..
http://www.santiebeati.it/dettaglio/90404
the first name is most common, also as Libero version(= Free ..but in Freedom sense).. and yes, they could have it ...called.. for devotion and also for a free new life...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mercedesjay

Post by mercedesjay »

Thanks much suanj! Yes, I have a copy of Antonio's birth record and he was born in 1860. Perhaps he gave the wrong age or it was transcribed incorrectly. I have seen that happen before. If that is the case it can only be a guess as to whether it is him or not. It is very frustrating. I never found any record of Antonio's middle name to help differentiate him from other Antonio Lombardi's either. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Everyone on this website is always so informative and quick to respond. Thanks again!
Have been researching family for more than a decade in the provinces of Campobasso and Frosinone.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

Yes, it is common for men to be separated from their wives for long periods of time. As Suanj stated, money was the issue. Men worked here in the USA hoping to make enough money in order to bring the whole family over. My own ancestors did the same thing.

I'm wondering if this is the manifest that you were referring to for Vittoria?

Name: Vittoria Petti
Estimated birth year: abt 1859
Port of Departure: Naples
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 43
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_601

You didn't say where the family settled. Can you please tell us where they settled?

If you found the family in the census records, it could narrow down the years of whether or not he was naturalized. If you can narrow down the years, then you can write to the County he was living in for Naturalization Records. Depending on the year, meaning post 1906, it would list the ship he arrived on.

I found this in the 1900 census, but I'm not sure if this is the family due to the lack of information to verify anything. However, if this is the family, then Antonio already started the Petition of Naturalization.

Name: Antonia Lombar (*Antonio Lombardi)
Home in 1900: McKeesport Ward 10, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1861
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's name: Vittoria P
Immigration year: 1887

Household Members:
Name Age
Antonia Lombar 39
Vittoria P Lombar 40
Thomas Lombar 17
Philip Lombar 75 (*not 75)
Frank Lombar 13
Maria Lombar 6
Lucy Lombar 5
Sunda Lombar 3
Antonia Lombar 1
Michael Lombar 1.12

Sorry, I'm not much of a help,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mercedesjay

Post by mercedesjay »

You are right on the money Trish. That is Antonio's wife Vittoria on the passenger list. The family settled in McKeesport, PA and from there they moved to Canton, OH. Antonio never fully bacame a citizen of the US. He started the process but was killed in a dynamite explosion in October 1913 in Pittsburgh. His wife was forced to raise her family of nine children after his demise. Also, that is my family in the 1900 census. When I originally found that census record I was amazed at how the names are almost all incorrect although I can figure out who they are. I am fortunate to have several original documents in my possession from this immediate family. I have Antonio's Petition for Naturalization papers (which give almost no info at all) and I have his wife's passport from 1892. Other than that, everything about Antonio remains a mystery even where he is buried. The cemetery claims to have no records and he has no tombstone. His obituary said he was buried in St. Mary's Cemetery and that was all. Thanks again for your great help.