Picariello, Ragosta, Permatteo, Martino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ToniPic

Picariello, Ragosta, Permatteo, Martino

Post by ToniPic »

Hi All,

My grandparents on my Father's side are Italian and I am doing the family
tree. It has been really difficult because my grandparents didn't speak
about relatives and Italy very often and anyone who might know something has died.

My Dad doesn't even know how his father came over from Italy. (they never talked about it). I have a little more information on my Grandmother's side, because my Dad and his brother & sisters used to visit their Aunts & Uncles on her side.

Well as I continue to search for my Italian relatives, I hope you don't
mind if I ask questions. It seems that many of you know helpful websites,
and other leads on how to obtain information or documents (the only
problem - I don't speak Italian).

Speaking about that!!! My Grandparents HARDLY EVER spoke Italian or taught my Aunts, Uncle & Dad, because they wanted their kids to learn English so they could work. My Dad picked up some Italian, but not much. The only time I heard my Grandparents speak Italian was when they were arguing!!! My cousins & I would laugh because that's when we knew Gramma & Grampa were :arrow: fighting. :D
Toni Picariello
Having a whale of a time living life's ups & downs - Looking for Picariello, Ragosta, Permatteo, Martino in Italy!!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Before you start you need (notice I said you need since you are going to do all the work) the town of origin in Italy because all records in Italy and family history are there!...The best way to start is backwards.. Who is the original immigrant from Italy in the Italian side of the family? If you don't know how rthey entered the do two things right away. Go to www.ellisisland.org and loook up the name of the person in your family and check out the ships manifest (upper left after you click the name) and see where they were destined. Next go to www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm and file form 81 for your ancestor (s) arrival in the USA. This form will cover lall ports of entry into the USA and go back into your family oral history and ask everybody iun the family what they know. It is VITAL that you come up with the town of rogin in Italy or at least the province. You can find this out if you get the information from the immigration recvord at Ellis Island or form 81 too. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

PERMATTEO is mispelled. Please correct the spelling! Also send me your e-mail as I want toi send you something. Petertimber@msn.com
ToniPic

Re: Picariello, Ragosta, Permatteo, Martino

Post by ToniPic »

Since the last time I posted, I have been to Italy looking for family information. I found that the American "Permatteo's" were "Piermatteo" in Italy. They came from Ortona in Abruzzi. It would be interesting to know how the "i" vowel got dropped.

Anyone know?

Toni Picariello
Toni Picariello
Having a whale of a time living life's ups & downs - Looking for Picariello, Ragosta, Permatteo, Martino in Italy!!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Picariello, Ragosta, Permatteo, Martino

Post by ricbru »

ToniPic wrote:Since the last time I posted, I have been to Italy looking for family information. I found that the American "Permatteo's" were "Piermatteo" in Italy. They came from Ortona in Abruzzi. It would be interesting to know how the "i" vowel got dropped.

Anyone know?

Toni Picariello
Sometimes last names are modified because who writes the record just makes the mistake, and the last name remains like that,
bye Riccardo