Lapetina and Bisaccia relatives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mariagiannuzzi

Re: Lapetina and Bisaccia relatives

Post by mariagiannuzzi »

I posted a reply yesterday, but do not see it here. I will try again over the next few days, but will post a few replies since it was a long post.

Sorry, those names don't mean anything to me. But, it is very likely that your great-grandmother and my great-grandfather were related. It would be helpful if someone living in San Mauro Forte understood English and knew the emigration history of the village. I will check this website or another website mentioned on this forum for such an individual within the next month. It is understandable that the people in San Mauro Forte and the rest of Southern Italy and Sicily emigrated to America. There were jobs here (usually difficult, dangerous jobs--mines, steel mills, railway, highway construction) and hope for a better future, but they still faced many challenges. I do know that on one of the islands off Sicily there is an emigration museum with the original advertisements for emigration put out by a passenger shipping line.
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

Since, typically birth records before 1866 are not available on line, I suggest that you search, marriage and marriage bans a few years later. They usually include the names of the parents. You may establish a relationship that way. If that does not provide any assurance, you could try death records of the parents to go further back. Death records typically include parents names and spose name. Tedious work but worthwhile
Good Luck
Neil
Albany1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Albany1 »

Thank you for both these posts. I have been to San Mauro with an Italian guide who was most helpful but unfortunately the church was closed when we visited. I will also continue to search the marriage and marriage bans records. I have used Family Search for that purpose before so I hope they have this information.