Frank Charles (Ciarla) family roots

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Frank Charles (Ciarla) family roots

Post by Essgee »

Well just got back from the library and found the following:

There was a Donato Antonio Ciarla born in Ripabottoni on 8 August 1866 to Raffaele Ciarla di Raimondo, age 28 and Incornata Pietrollino, daughter of the dead Giiovanni. age 21.

Indeed, this means you are indeed related to the individual I mentioned before that posted earlier on this website. After I finish this message, I am going to post to the other thread. It should bring that thread to the front page and then you can read all the messages between me, Dave Ferro, and Barbara. She is your cousin.

Maria Giuseppa DiPalma was born on 10 March 1877, the daughter of Giuseppe Dipalma, age 35 and Carmina Amoruso. Giuseppe was born on Oct 29, 1839 to Michelangelo Dipalma and his wife, Archangela d'Addario.
Giuseppe was the brother of Antonio Dipalma, my great great grandfather.

I will pull these lines together for you and give you all that I have. Give me a bit of time and then I will post it.

As for how they came to the US....I could't find a marriage record for them so they might have been married in the US. In addition, I believe that Raffaele Ciarla did come to the US. So they may have come early in the 1890's. If he was naturalized in 1896, he would have been hear about 1890 for sure.

Let me see what else I can find, but I fairly sure they came from Ripabottoni!

So, glad to meet you Tim---we are cousins. And Ralph sounds strange, but my great grandmother Maria Dipalma married Raffaele Miozza of Casacalenda and his father was named Francesco. So Raffaele doesn't sound all that bad!

Back when I have more....Susan
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

WOW!
Susan,
What terrific research.
Valarie
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Thanks vj....

But since it was a town I was familiar with, it really made it a lot easier.

Now...any chance you can find these folks in 1900 or 1910....or in the passenger records? I have done everything but stand on my head and have gotten nowhere. We need all the help we can get to track these folks down......

Somewhere between Westerchester county in 1899 and Cayuga county in 1920.....

Thanks again for the kudo's....you always make me feel helpful. It is a good feeling!

Best of the day to you, vj........ Susan
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey essgee!
I've looked off and on for a couple of days.
Nothing.
The address from 1920 wasn't enumerated in 1910.
It appears a bunch of houses were skipped the first
round, then it wasn't included in the catch-up page.
1910 17.5 Madison missiing
1910 catch-up page Madison
Perhaps if Frank's 1899 birth certificate had an address...
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I believe that Raffaele Ciarla did come to the US

Essgee & Tim,
It appears there are a couple of Family Pages on ancestry.com
with links to this family.
Valarie

Charles

Charles Capaldi Clark Masters

The 2nd one has a link to this 1904 manifest for Raffaele (1838)
& Incoronata
1904 manifest
special inquiry page
Raffaele Ciarla 63 (abt 1841)
Incoronata Pietrolina 59 (abt 1845)
- last residence Ripabottoni
- destination Auburn, NY
- passage pd by son
- not in US before
- joining son Gppe Ciarla at 21-23? North St
---

Name change to Charles…
Raffaele (1838) & family in Auburn
immigration yrs are tough to read
1910 census

Home in 1910:
(near Lafayette Place, not far from Madson)
Auburn Ward 8, Cayuga, New York

Head Raffael Charles 70 (abt 1840)
- married age 42?
- owns house
Wife Donato Charles 75 (abt 1835)
- 5 children born, 5 children living
Son Leomarols Charles 32 (abt 1878)
Daughter-in-law Marie Charles 33
Grand daughter Raffaela Charles 6 NY
Grand son Vincent Charles 5 NY

Boarders:
Antony Battexao 23
Mariana Battexao 32
Frank Battexao 19
Stephen Syracuse 44
James Suiteri 30
Sabratore Possorallo 25
Gioramie Fedi 22
Francesco Fedi 21
Bartola Mainerti 85
Guido Locartre 22
Raffael Campanello 27
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi Valerie and Tim.......

Thanks for posting the info, vj. I have seen some of it before when looking up stuff for Dave Ferro and Barbara.....on that other Ciarla Thread.... All these people are related. So there is a lot of info on this board relative to these families. I believe that the M. Antonio Ciarla that was the witness of the baptism of Raffaele (Frank) Ciarlo was the wife of Frank Nervino and the sister of Donato. All lived in Auburn, NY. Giuseppe Ciarlo (Raimondo Giuseppe Antonio Michele!) was known as Joseph Charles and he married Maria Leonarda Tamilia. He is also in Auburn NY and his first son was Raffaele, also called Frank Charles and very near the same date as your Frank Charles...hence, the confusion.

In addition, the death records from the cemetery that you mentioned, Tim, have a lot of these people buried there from what I could tell.

Here is what I have:

This first one is the lineage of Donato Ciarla. It is large...I forgot to reduce it but I am on the way out and don't have time to correct it.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6117/scanfs6.jpg

This one is the lineage of Giuseppe Dipalma. His daughter, Marie Guiseppa was the wife of Donato. Her mother was Carmina Amoruso...but since I didn't have more on Carmina, skipped to Giuseppe alone.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3444/scan2io6.jpg

Can get more at the library next week.... In the meantime, if you e-mail me at hrw3@worldnet.att.net I will see if I can correct these images and send more detailed info.

Have a great one, both of you.......Susan
ftcharles

Post by ftcharles »

Val & Sue...

WHAT GREAT WORK......When I started out I never could imagine getting this much information... I am flabbergasted !!!
I am in the process of digesting everything and printing out what is available from the TWO of you.... Please keep whatever else you have coming... WOW..WOW.........

AGAIN...THANX... Tim
bsnclr

Post by bsnclr »

Okay... I am confused..... I have to print of this thread to find the connection to my tree. My family always have wondered if we were related to the other "Charles's" in Auburn.

Can you explain the connection again.

Tim you may know my sister... she still lives in Auburn -- Theresa (Charles) Mason.... she is married to Gary Mason. She still lives in Auburn.
bsnclr

Post by bsnclr »

Essgee Wrote:
"There was a Donato Antonio Ciarla born in Ripabottoni on 8 August 1866 to Raffaele Ciarla di Raimondo, age 28 and Incornata Pietrollino, daughter of the dead Giiovanni. age 21.

Indeed, this means you are indeed related to the individual I mentioned before that posted earlier on this website. After I finish this message, I am going to post to the other thread. It should bring that thread to the front page and then you can read all the messages between me, Dave Ferro, and Barbara. She is your cousin."

Okay... I think I got this:

Raffaele Ciarla and Incornata (Maria) Pietrollino (My Great Great Grandparents and Tim's) had four children all born in Ripabottoni
Maria Antonia (1864)
Donato Antonio (1866)
Ramindo Giuseppe Antiono (1870) aka Joseph Charles (My Great Grand Father)
Leonardo (1873)

Donato married Maria DePalma and had eight children
Frank ........ (Tim's Grandfather)

Ramindo (Joseph) married Mary Tamillo and had six children
The first three were born in Ripabottoni.... one of them was my Grandfather .... Raffale aka Frank Charles

Tim's Grandfather...Frank Married Anna Haliko and had three children
Edward 1926 - Tim's Dad
Beatrice 1927
Dorothy 1933

My Grandfather...Frank married Grazia (Grace) Capaldi and had three children
Mary Anne 1934
Francis J. 1936 - my father
Patrick 1939

So this make Tim and I third Cousins......

Tim what is the rest of your family tree..... who is your mom and do you have any siblings...... who are you married to and children...etc

My father - Francis J. Charles -- Married Annie Louise Charles and had six children
John D. (1958) married Gail Mason - no children
Virginia E. aka Ginny/Ginger (1960) married Rick Sisson - 2 daughters
Marie J. 1962) married Max Whitacre -3 children - 1 grandchild
Jo Anne (1963) married Ken Siefert- 2 children
Theresa F. 1966) Married Gary Mason - 1 child
Barbara S. 1969 (that's me) married Dwight Sinclair - 1 child

This is awesome.... do you have any more info?
-Barbara
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Barbara,
I am so happy that you got my message! I know how wonderful this all is...I am excited and these are only distantly related to me...Maria Giuseppa Dipalma was my great grandmother's first cousin!

I am going back to the library on Tuesday and seeing what else I can track down. Will post the info later...
ftcharles

Post by ftcharles »

Essgee wrote:Barbara,
I am so happy that you got my message! I know how wonderful this all is...I am excited and these are only distantly related to me...Maria Giuseppa Dipalma was my great grandmother's first cousin!

I am going back to the library on Tuesday and seeing what else I can track down. Will post the info later...
Barbara, Val & Sue....

Many thanks for the Invaluable info you all have found for me and my family !!!!!
Edward Danial Charles was my DAD (Wife-Virginia MaryAnn) Both Deceased .
Edward John, Richard Allen, Thomas Scott, David Michael are my BROTHERS and Barbara Ann is my Sister .
Anthony Christian ( Mother & By First Wife JoAnne Vasco Charles) and Adelle Lyn (Mother & Current Wife of 29 Yrs. Donna Maria Mancini Charles) are my CHILDREN . There is also Children from my brothers and sister and children from there children . I have no grandchildren as of yet .

Barbara --- When I first was married... I lived next door to you on Orchard Ave. (Millie's House- Upstairs) for a few years . I believe you had a brother how went into the service around that time and "Tony" was 5 years old . Your Dad was Frank and your Grandfather Frank lived a few houses up and with my name being "Francis T." we all created quite a stir for the mailman . I remember exchanging wrong mail several times with each other !!! I also remember that you were quite the swimmer in your school years . I will gladly supply any additional info that anyone needs .

and... Any additional info on our family tree is once again greatly appreaciated and to all... a job well done !!!! Can not thank you enough for everyones work... FRANCIS "TIM" CHARLES (CIARLA)
bsnclr

Post by bsnclr »

Wow..... I remember you living next door to my parents.... my parents still live there. Just think.... we are related and didn't even know it then.... wow.....
bsnclr

Post by bsnclr »

Essgee --- could you provide me the resource where you found this information so I may cite it.

-Barara
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Barbara,

Yes I will get the resources for you. Give me a couple of days...really busy here for the moment!

All this is just wonderful!

Hope you all have a great day... Susan
bsnclr

Post by bsnclr »

Essgee:

I am now able to read this post and actually understand it now. I have been doing my family tree for a while now, and I am now getting the connection. I have gotten Family Tree Maker 2008 and it has help me to keep track of everything.... plus my subscription to ancestory.com.

I know it has been awhile, from this post, but are you still able to get the resources, so I can reference them?

I goal, is to get enough information I can by Christmas, and I want to publish the info into hard cover to get to my siblings.....