microfilm question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Re: microfilm question

Post by warriorrabbit »

JamesBianco wrote: The delay has only been within the past few months, since around the first of the year. Have you ordered since January of this year? Before that time the films always took 2-3 weeks for me. My Family History Center's Backordered film list contains about 100 films right now. The list is typically less than 10 films.
Yup. From December to now, I've easily ordered 15-20 rolls (possibly more, I just don't want to count them all because that will tell me how much I'm spending on this 'hobby') and they've all (except for about 3) arrived w/in about 2 weeks. If the 10-batch thing is true, that could be part of it -- I live in San Diego* and there are probably more than 10 reels being ordered every week.

I still wonder how much the films being in other people's possession has to do with things -- I've renewed a few reels that I ordered (on top of the first month), so that makes them unavailable to other requests. When I was ordering film for Gioiosa Marea, Mazzara Sant'Andrea and Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto, I just thought no one else was interested in these tiny towns. But now I'm looking at Messina, and still the reels come pretty quickly.

*Yesterday I was looking up FHC locations in New Jersey for my cousin, and I was startled to see the two near her keep really limited hours. (Including Saturday by appointment.) Mine is open Tu, Fri, Sat from 10-3, and Wed-Thurs from 10-9pm. Is that unusual? It sure is nice to be able to go there Wednesday and Thursday evenings after work!
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

My Family History Center is open Tues & Wed 10 -2 and 7-9 and Saturday 9-1

It is in Hartford, CT (well next town over) and is by far the largest in the state.

Our new director is not into genealogy, she's just cut two days completey and decoded to close the center altogether for the month of June!

I am sooo glad I now volunteer and have a set of keys. Unfortunately there is nothing coming in for me to use.

But Yes I envy your guys who have those incredible hours!
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

I ordered $106.00 worth of films two weeks ago and 13 of them came this week!!!