RE: Terminology in death record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ofoghlu
Rookie
Rookie

RE: Terminology in death record

Post by ofoghlu »

Hi:

I have attached a copy of the death record of my trisnonna (Ginepra Teresa) from Casale Monferrato. I noticed that it is stated that she is "moglie di Pilotti Gaetano". Does this mean he was definitely alive at the time of her death? Generally I have seen the term "vedova di" to indicate a widow's status. I was hoping that I might get clarification.

Thanks Much!

:D
R.Ronnie

Re: RE: Terminology in death record

Post by R.Ronnie »

in italy, the old from of the death record got the name of the husband and sons. That's form is used today only for the old people, normally, it got only the name of the dead, born date and death date
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The picture is not there...
You are correct, if the death record states that she is "moglie di Pilotti Evasio", that means that Pilotti Evasio was alive when she died.
ofoghlu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ofoghlu »

Thank You both for your replies.

Liviomoreno - that is what I suspected - the problem I'm having is that I can't find the subsequent death record of her husband Gaetano who at the time of her death was 86 years old. I have searched the registers of Casale from the year of her death (1897) through 1920 and have found nothing. I suppose Gaetano could have died elsewhere, perhaps moving to a nearby town to live with one of his children, but aside from that I don't know how to locate the record.

Thank you again.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

It seems that attaching the pictures does not work...

If you find Gaetano's birth record maybe there is an annotation about his death...
ofoghlu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ofoghlu »

Liviomoreno:

Gaetano was born in 1812 - so I suppose I'd have to write to the Curia to attempt to get it. I have written to them in the past and unfortunately they have been quite unresponsive. Thanks for the suggestion though!

PS - I just visited your website and it's very well done.