Munno and Vollaro

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Munno and Vollaro

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Jean,
The only things I need are the projected dates (the clues) from any documents or family lore you may have. If it is from something like a census, let me know we are not working with hard dates.
Shall I assume Umberto and Maria's children were born in S.M.? Approximately what years?
As an example, it appears Gaetano was born abt 1839. I don't have that film. But, this is how we will make progress. Every record found will give clues to new info or confirmation to something you know, or as in my case, a new mystery. My ancestors just refused to cooperate and keep the info consistent from record to record, especially their age. I survived and so will you.
I will concentrate on Maria right now and see if we can resolve that issue. We will probably find their children starting to arrive from 1907 onward and that will probably be the next effort.
I hope this answers your question. We are doing well.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Jean,
I looked in 1879 and 1881 for Maria with no luck. I am curious about your projection to 1880 for her birth year. That would make her older than her husband, which happened but was not common in my experience. Would you be kind enough to just verify her possible birth year with whatever documentation you may have (even if it is just the census). You can compare more than 1 census year to clarify her age if possible.
I will continue to look for her.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hi Jim -- Yes, Umberto's and Maria's children were born in SMCV. I do know all of there birthdates: Gaetano - 4/28/1907, Assunta - 8/8/1908, Francesco - 1/9/1910, and Carmella - 1912 (believe it or not, I only know my Grandma's birthdate year! That frustrates me!! I don't know why I can't find it or have it!) As for Maria, she arrived at Ellis on January 31, 1925 with her 4 children. Umberto came to America on his own on July 1, 1912. Therefore, I have only 1 census for Maria. I was quite surprised that she was older than her husband as well. Anyway, the census is the only record I have for Maria. I haven't found naturalization papers or anything else. There has to be more, I think!!

Thank you, Jim, for working so hard for me. I don't want to take time away from your journey to find your ancestors. I appreciate all you have done for me. I can't tell you again how much it means to me. Of course, you probably know how I feel!

Take care,
Jean

PS - Sorry I haven't written sooner than now. My house is taken all of my time right now! Hopefully that will come to a happy ending!
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jean,

Your grandmother's date of birth is February 10, 1912. :-)

Found it on Umberto's naturalization record which I have posted below. He became naturalized before they came here. Maria's year of birth is given as 1880.

One of the endearing parts of the Naturalization record is that your GGF's signature is at the lower right...

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2708 ... record.jpg

Umberto's birthdate is 22 September 1884.

T. :-)
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hi Tessa,
Thank you so much!! You are an angel! You, Jim, Peg, Livio, Peter, Johnnyonthespot and SO many others have been more than helpful. Incredible!! Thank you for showing me something that I totally missed!! I have this record from ancestry.com and never looked at the birthdates! I never noticed it! I had been looking at it to learn more about Umberto. For example, one man who was a witness for him Patsy Raus, I had been searching to see if he actually was a relative of my Grandfather, Paul Rauso. I wondered if that is how my Grandma, Carmella, met him. But, I've hit a dead end on that and it's a piece of info that is taking me away from more important searches. Also, thank you for confirming Maria's birth year for me. You are good!! I endlessly appreciate all of this help. And yes, it is endearing to have a copy of my GGF's signature!

Thanks again!!
Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hi Jim!

I found Maria Munno's father's name --- Augustine Munno!! But that means that none of the 3 birth records belong to her. Oh well.... maybe the new information will help!

Thanks again!

Jean
Jean

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Jean,
That info should help narrow down the Maria's I have seen.
I will continue looking.

Jim

p.s. Do you like the SantaMaria Coat of Arms?
Jim

lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hi Jim,

Thanks again! I was wondering about your new "picture"!! So that's the Santa Maria Capua Vetere's Coat of Arms for the entire area?? Cool. Where did you find it? - And how can I copy it or find another Italian picture that would fit me?

Jean
Jean

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Tessa FAENZARO may be a horsedrawn carriage driver. (PHAETON in english believe it or not!) =Peter=
~Peter~
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Pater, that is good. I could not find that word anywhere. Could it have been dialect?
Jean, there are some great pictures of S.M. on the internet. That's where I found it. I felt that since my primary emphasis became S.M., I wanted an avatar that matched.

Jim
Jim

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Faeton is the italian word for english word phaeton which means any various light 4 wheeled horse drawn vehicle. I took this to mean that Faenzaro is someone who conducts such a vehicle. =Peter=
~Peter~
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Makes sense to me. Apparently it not a word that is in common use today. Normally when I look at these words, I assume my inability to read the script is the reason I can't figure it out. This script was as neat as I've seen, yet I was unable to translate the word. I was heartened when Tessa struggled with it also. Her recognition of words in script is far superior to mine.
Good work.

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Peter! :-)

What a wonderful discovery...Faenzaro!

Your explanation makes perfect sense to me.

Much appreciated.

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

.....I could be wrong! =Peter=
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

If that stopped us...we'd never do our research :-)

But here is an article about Faenze (a special ceramic pottery) and Faenzari (the potters? ) of Nardo I thought you might be interested in reading...

http://spigolaturesalentine.wordpress.c ... -in-nardo/

T.