Help on a Name?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
wasson23

Help on a Name?

Post by wasson23 »

Hello,

I have two names and I am not sure how they would be correctly spelled.
I hope you will have some ideas!

These names were written down while someone with an Italian accent spoke:

Name 1: Griden'ta (first name)
Name 2: Tommaso (first name)
Name 3: Sirsni (surname?)

Are these names spelled differently than what was written? Are they common?

Thank you for your time!
Looking for my great-grandfathers family from Privero / Piperno Italy: Tommaso Coppa / Capua / Caupa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help on a Name?

Post by Tessa78 »

Tommaso is correct spelling for #2

Have to think about the others :-)

What region of Italy is the surname supposed to be from?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Any chance you can post an image of the document on which these names appear?

As you can see after you put the name "Sirsni" onto this site, the name does not exist today in Italy.
http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

Possibilities would include "Circensi" and "Circenzi" which exist today, but are not common.

T.
wasson23

Post by wasson23 »

Yes, the names came from my great grandpa's naturalization papers.
They were written by someone American as he spoke with his Italian accent, so I don't know if the names are even spelled right...

Thanks for taking a look. There are various mysteries, beyond the name spellings! But I figured I better verify WHO I am looking for first :)

Looking for my great-grandfathers family from Privero / Piperno Italy: Tommaso Coppa / Capua / Caupa
wasson23

Post by wasson23 »

Hmm, I don't think my images are showing. Here's the link to my images: https://picasaweb.google.com/summerwass ... directlink
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Based on the images above, I'm guessing that "Griden'ta" is Giacinta

On one of the documents the first name is spelled "Jacinda" - so coupling the two phonetic spellings - I think it's Giacinta.

As for the surname - I think it may be spelled correctly on one document where is it's spelled "Cironi" That is definitely a name found in Italy still today. Substituting an "s" for the "o" in transcription is a good possibility.

Have you located any other US records for Tony?

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I agree with Tessa78 :)
wasson23

Post by wasson23 »

Tessa, thank you so much! I'm not familiar with Italian first names or last names, so your input is much appreciated! I have a few more documents on my Grandpa, but they don't provide any other leads outside of the US.

This story is very interesting - let's see if I can condense it at all:
Our family name is Leo, to me, he was Grandpa Toney Leo. His SSN was provided by the railroad which he worked for his entire life in the US.

It wasn't until some research that we found an Alien Registration card from 1960 (50 years after coming here) with his name listed as Tommaso Coppa. I wrote to the Immigration Services and they replied with the documents you saw - which was a new breakthrough for us.

In these documents it also noted that because he couldn't really speak English, the Railroad named him Toney Leo. And with that, we now have generations of Leos!! No one ever mentioned Coppa / Capua

So I made it through a good portion of the mystery, and with your assistance it looks like I will make it even further.

Boy - between phonetics, mis-spellings, the railroad, and his quiet nature - this has been quite the trail of clues!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Boy - between phonetics, mis-spellings, the railroad, and his quiet nature - this has been quite the trail of clues!!
That's what makes genealogical research so rewarding and frustrating at the same time!!!

:-D

T.