help with ship name and town name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
alm
Rookie
Rookie

help with ship name and town name

Post by alm »

Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me decipher a couple of things. These are papers for my maternal GGF's citizenship.

I can't make out the ship name Nicolantonio arrived on in 1883, nor the name of the town Michela was born in.

I've searched all the ship names I could find under NY arrivals in April 1883 and don't see any match.

The town may be Rofrano, but there are definitely some extra letters there.

The ship is listed on both of these documents, the town only on half1.jpg

http://gamesweusedtoplay.com/media/imag ... _half2.jpg
http://gamesweusedtoplay.com/media/imag ... _half2.jpg

Complicating my case is the fact that Nicolantonio's last name shows up on documents as Martiello, Martello, Martinelli, Martela….
Also he sometimes went by Nick, sometimes by Antonio…

I'm trying to establish exactly what his name was, so that I can figure out exactly what my grandmother's name was.
Her name shows up as Martinelli (birth record), Martello (marriage license), Martela (census)…

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: help with ship name and town name

Post by adelfio »

The town for him is Mirabello is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Ferrara in the Italian region of Emilia-Romagna.Cant see her on your record you posted
The ship looks like Straloino didnt see it on the ships list of names

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

Oh, I'm sorry. I posted the same doc twice.

Here is the other doc:

http://gamesweusedtoplay.com/media/imag ... _half1.jpg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, the surname seeming Martiello right( Nicolantonio MARTIELLO); the birth town could be Mirabello( full name town: Mirabello Sannitico, Campobasso province, Molise region, IT)where the Martiello surname is popular... the ship name is a mystery for me...
just my suggestion,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

Thanks to both of you. I neglected to add the second document showing the ship's name (again) as well as the birthplace of wife Michela.

It is now posted.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

by this death record:
lock
Licensed images require sign in for access options.
Search collectionAbout this collectionAbout image restrictionsName: Anna Maria Martiello
Death Date: 11 Oct 1909
Death Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Race: white
Death Age: 17 years
Estimated Birth Year: 1892
Birth Date: 12 Apr 1908
Birthplace: Philadelphia, Pa.
Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name: Nicola A. Martiello
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Josephine D. Guiseppe
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Street Address: 831 Kimball St.
Place of Residence: Philadelphia, Pa.
Cemetery: Holy Cross Cemetery
Burial Place: Philadelphia, Pa.
Burial Date: 13 Oct 1909
Additional Relatives:
Film Number: 1405102
Digital Folder Number: 4009096
Image Number: 465
Reference Number: cn 22924

the surname is Martiello, no doubts; the Nicolantonio wife maiden name is DI GIUSEPPE; the her birthtown is unreadable; in the death record she is Josephine, but no doubt that the death record is abt a Nicolantonio daughter...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

Wow, suanj, this is really a mystery. Because my grandmother is Antonetta, supposedly an oldest child, and she was born in either 1902 or 1903 and her mother is Michela Di Giuseppe (sometimes Michelina, sometimes Maria Michela, and once even Magadalena) and she came over in 1900 or 1901.

Now I'm wondering if Nicolantonio was married before Michela - perhaps to her sister Josephine. And maybe Josephine died and Michela came over to take her sister's place as housewife.

Perhaps my grandmother Antonetta had a half sister she never spoke about who died in 1909.

Might there be a record of death for Josephine Di Giuseppe or Josephine Martiello? It would be late 1890s I would guess.
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

Also, suanj, where did you find that death record for Anna Maria Martiello 1909? When I type in that info in Ancestry.com, nothing comes up.

I need to find marriage record(s) for Nicola Antonio or Nicolantonio Martiello with either Josephine Di Giuseppe or Michela Di Giuseppe.

And I know Nicola died between 1915 and 1920, so a death record for him would be good too. I'm not finding anything.

Thank you for your help.

Still wondering about the ship's name though. Anybody?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, maybe Michelina( or Michela or Maria Michela) used Josephine first name on the daughter death record... that is possible
you can find the death record free here https://www.familysearch.org/
in this database:
Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915

abt Nicolantonio death, if he died after 1915 it is not in the database...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

Thank you for your assistance, suanj! Grazie!
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

Hi alm,I can give you little help really, but just my thoughts.The ship would certainly appear to be Staloino at least to me. I did some google searches for that name or similar {S Taloino,Stalorno, Straloino etc), but came up with nothing. There are a few good ship sites online,but think you have to subscribe to most of them. I suppose you have checked inward passenger lists to NY for that year, or do you need the ships name to check them? Also of course, but I cannot speak for the US specifically,but ship arrivals and departures were important events back in those days, and newspapers would always have a section on ship movements within a port.But of course unless the right newspapers are online,which is most unlikely, one would have to find a library with the old papers, and go through those for April of that year and so on...not easy as I know. And I am sure the library would be in NY. Hopefully someone reads it as a different ships name and its correct!! John
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

Thanks for your thoughts, John. There are so many passenger lists and so many known ship names, it's frustrating to not be able to decipher this. It's an important piece of the puzzle. I was wondering if he couldn't remember the name of the ship and just made one up. It was 25 years later that he was filling out the paperwork. Hm…
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

Hello alm, I have been going through a heap of Ellis Island shipping records online, for a friend. I am new to those records anyhow as my main interest for old incoming ship records is in Australia. I have kept in mind though "your ship" Staloino, but have seen nothing that can match that name. I do believe as you mentioned it may be a made up name. But made up name or not, he remembered that name over a three year period from one certificate to the next. If one googles in Staloino it appears to be a meaningless word and not even a surname. One can play with words for hours, like a cryptic crossword, and get nowhere!... I know! Take the S off the front and Taloino was once a surname(may still be). Take both the S and T off and Aloino was once a surname too, and may still be. What does it mean! Nothing really, but it is interesting how he came up with the ships name twice over a three year period. One wonders if part of that word Staloino ie Taloino or Aloino was some family name or a friend`s surname,and he used it to remember his "made up" ship name,which he had forgotten. It is too hard to tell, but worth remembering somewhere down the road. I really think you have little option but of going through all those records for Ellis Island, and having to look at, his stated age, and then at least 2 variations of first name plus maybe six or more variations of surname. If you can match up with the stated town he came from Mirabello/Ferrara or somewhere nearby, plus a few year`s period either way on his stated date of entry, I think it is the only way to do it,hard, but that is what I would be looking at, as I cannot see an easier way. And with those records online at Ellis Island, it does make a very hard task a little easier. Best of luck. John.