Translation of Death Record for Carmela Giamo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Translation of Death Record for Carmela Giamo

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Hi Everyone! It is a beautiful Fall Sunday in New Jersey. I came across this death record of Carmela Giamo who is related by marriage on my family tree. So far, I have translated:

Date of death: August 2, 1858
Wife of Santo Crifo - is the age of Santo given? Is Santo an Oxdriver?

It also mentions Guiseppe Crifo, age 36 (Does it give the relationship - Santo's brother?)

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Please correct or add any facts I might have missed. I thank you in advance for your time and assistance. Have a great day!
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Re: Translation of Death Record for Carmela Giamo

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

I now found a death record in the year 1855 for a Guiseppe Crifo (age 74) who was married to Carmela Giaimo. This record also mentions (sono comparsi - Giuseppe Crifo Age 33 and Santo Crifo Age 30). I am confused because of the previous death record for Carmela Giaimo). Can someone also translate this record for me?

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Thank you.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The only explanation I can come up with was that the wife and mother of Santo had the same first and last names, which is just a coincidence. Believe it or not, I have seen this in records before, although very rarely.

In the first record for the death of Carmela. She was age 44 in 1858 when she died, meaning she was born in about 1814. So she could not have been the mother of sons born in 1822 (Giuseppe) and in 1826 (Santo). She is, however, listed as Santo's wife, so she could have married a man 12 years younger than her. And Giuseppe is listed as her brother-in-law (cognato).

In the death record for Antonino, husband of Carmela, he was born about 1791, being 64 when he died in 1855. Giuseppe, age 33, is listed as a son of the deceased (born about 1822) and Santo, age 30, born abt 1825 is also listed as a son of the deceased. So Giuseppe and Santo seem to be the same people in both records. BUT, if Giuseppe was born in 1822, there is no way his mother (assuming that the wife of his father was his mother) could have been born in 1814. She would have had to have been born earlier, although possibly not as early as her husband. I think the two Carmelas were different women who just happened to share a first and last name. They may or may not have been related to each other. I see no other feasible explanation, but maybe some other translator on the forum does.

Erudita
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thank you. It is very confusing. I appreciate your thoughts!

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA