Death Record Giuseppa Pagano

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Death Record Giuseppa Pagano

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Hi Everyone:

I am now starting to work on my husband's genealogy. I found a death record for a Giuseppa Pagano. I have been able to translate the following:

Date of Death: February 3, 1872
Widower of Salvatore Albanese
Daughter of the late Giuseppe and Stefana Scelfo (?)
Age at death: 70

Please correct any mistakes or add anything I might have left out. If there is an address, please include. I could not translate the surname of Giuseppa's mother.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 2144548376

I thank you for your time and assistance.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Death Record Giuseppa Pagano

Post by erudita74 »

ItalianbellaSA wrote:Hi Everyone:

I am now starting to work on my husband's genealogy. I found a death record for a Giuseppa Pagano. I have been able to translate the following:

Date of Death: February 3, 1872
Widower of Salvatore Albanese
Daughter of the late Giuseppe and Stefana Scelfo (?)
Age at death: 70

Please correct any mistakes or add anything I might have left out. If there is an address, please include. I could not translate the surname of Giuseppa's mother.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 2144548376

I thank you for your time and assistance.
Hi Sue
You did really well with this record. The mother Stefana's surname is Scelfo, which is found in Palermo. There is no specific address in the record, but it does read "nella casa di sua abitazione sita nel quartiere della madre chiesa"-so the deceased's house, where her death took place, was located in the district or neighborhood of the town's Mother Church.

Erudita
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Grazie! I am learning to read Italian and with each record I translate I am learning more and more. Thank you so much for your help.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ItalianbellaSA wrote:Grazie! I am learning to read Italian and with each record I translate I am learning more and more. Thank you so much for your help.
Prego, Sue. This is exactly how I learned to decipher these records, but when I started some 20 years ago, I was pretty much on my own with a few semesters of the language behind me from college and several good Italian dictionaries. The more you work with these records, the better you will get at it. Of course, there will always be handwriting to stump you. It comes with the territory, so to speak.
Erudita