mystery word in death record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

mystery word in death record

Post by jkingb »

I have posted a couple of antenati records today, and I am very grateful to those who helped decipher/explain!

There is one more - but just a single word that confuses me.. It is a death record for Catterina Vergnano, who I previously thought was the mother of Felice, and Giuseppe Fina. However, in the record, just after their names, I see "fils et (mystery word) de la defunte". I am starting to wonder if the mystery word is "cousin", though it doesn't really look like it. Fils can refer to a single son, or sons, plural, so I am not sure if according to the record, Joseph only is the son, and Felice is related in some other way to the decedent- via the mystery word that I can't decipher. If it actually says "cousin", which again, it doesn't look like (but I have no clue what else it may be) then my relationship prediction is completely off and I have to rework everything.

Any help would be much, much appreciated!

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

edit - now I see that word on several other death records (including the one just below Catterina's), and it clearly starts with a "v" - "voi..."So it cannot be "cousin", but what is it?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: mystery word in death record

Post by liviomoreno »

"voisins" = neighborough
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Livio, thank you for clarifying. Did you mean to write neighbor/s -or is neighborough a separate but related word? I have never heard it. I wondered if the word on the record was something like "voisin", and tried some variations in a translator, but came up with no results last night. I must have I typed "voison" instead.. In any event, this is helpful because it does not eliminate the mens' status as sons of the deceased. Thanks again!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Sorry, I meant neighbors
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Even better. Thanks so much! Felice is the ancestor, and I concluded that the deceased must have been his mother based only on the marriage record of his sister. When I found this death record and saw that unfamiliar word "voisin/s", which I thought for a second might even read "cousin", it worried me a little. Neighbor is good..
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

jkingb wrote:Even better. Thanks so much! Felice is the ancestor, and I concluded that the deceased must have been his mother based only on the marriage record of his sister. When I found this death record and saw that unfamiliar word "voisin/s", which I thought for a second might even read "cousin", it worried me a little. Neighbor is good (assuming he is also a son -and it sounds like "fils" applies to both men)..