translating great great grandparents marriage record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

translating great great grandparents marriage record

Post by nrepole »

Hi all
Would really appreciate help with translation or just general idea of what is being said in old family marriage document. Please see attached:

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag3 ... c076ce.jpg

Many thanks in advance
Nick
Surnames: Repole, Pinto, Patrissi, Schettino, Garofano, Gambuti, Parente. Towns: Rapone, Guardia Sanframondi, San Lorenzo Maggiore
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: translating great great grandparents marriage record

Post by liviomoreno »

The 2 pages are part of the minutes of the family council held to give consent to the marriage of Rosa d'Onofrio daughter, underage, of late Giuseppe with Giuseppe Repole son of Francesco.
Attendees were:
1 - Francescantonio Amendola, aged 51, son of deceased Domenico, uncle of Rosa
2 - Antonio Maria Amendola son of late Michele, 3rd uncleof Rosa
3 - Pasquale Maria Amendola, aged 42, son of late Michele, 3rd uncle of Rosa
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Post by nrepole »

Thanks Livio!
The only thing that is strange is that Rosa D'Onofrio did not marry a Giuseppe Repole, but an Angelo Maria Repole (son of Francesco). Could it be that they wrote the wrong name down?? Did they make these kind of errors back then?? Seems a little strange...

Nick
Surnames: Repole, Pinto, Patrissi, Schettino, Garofano, Gambuti, Parente. Towns: Rapone, Guardia Sanframondi, San Lorenzo Maggiore
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The document should have been written in front of a Notary. Are the other pages available? Is tihis document part of the Allegati?
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Post by nrepole »

Ciao Livio
I have attached first and last pages of the same section. Yes, it is part of Allegati records.
see:
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag3 ... 2093e1.jpg
and
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag3 ... 02713d.jpg

Many thanks
Nick
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

If they are online could you pls post the url
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

That's quite interesting. On the first page there is a sentence stating that the purpose of the family council (in front of a judge) was to give consent to the marriage of Rosa d'Onofrio with Giuseppe Repole, or "with someone else in case this marriage is not celebrated"!
And I see from the document on the right side of the second image you post is related to the marriage of Rosa with Angelo Maria Repole, a widower.
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Post by nrepole »

Confused!! What does "or with someone else in case this marriage is not celebrated" mean? Angelo Maria Repole had lost his first wife and was marrying the young Rosa D'Onofrio. Not really sure who Giuseppe is (unless he was a brother of Angelo Maria??)
Nick
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Giuseppe Repole was son of Francesco, so it is very likely that he was a brother of Angelo Maria.

I don't know why in the family council they mention Giuseppe. The council was January 23 1876 and one week later they posted the banns for the marriage with Angelo Maria.

In any case it appears that the family just decided that Rose could marry whoever she wanted...
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Post by nrepole »

Wow!! So Rosa was meant to marry a brother, but Angelo Maria may have stepped in and said "I have just lost a wife, and I have three children to look after. I need a wife more!" Amazing if true!!
Grazie mille Livio!!!!!