1809 Marriage, Gambatesa

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JOHN08
Master
Master

1809 Marriage, Gambatesa

Post by JOHN08 »

On the 20th of December 1809, in Gambatesa, appeared Pasquale di Maria, 24, laborer, living in Gambatesa, son of deceased ? Giuseppe di Maria and Cristina di Iacovelli ?; also appeared Saveria di Renzo, 19, living in Gambatesa, daughter of Cosimo di Renzo and Maria Gallo.

Pasquale di Maria and Saveria di Renzo requested to proceed with the celebration of marriage. They were married on the 20th of December 1809.

Appreciate corrections/additions.

John
numero 19
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: 1809 Marriage, Gambatesa

Post by erudita74 »

JOHN08 wrote:On the 20th of December 1809, in Gambatesa, appeared Pasquale di Maria, 24, laborer, living in Gambatesa, son of deceased (yes) Giuseppe di Maria and Cristina Iacovelli (yes) also appeared the Signora Saveria di Renzo, 19, living in Gambatesa, daughter of the Signor Cosimo di Renzo and the Signora Maria Gallo.

Pasquale di Maria and Saveria di Renzo requested to proceed with the celebration of marriage.They were married on the 20th of December 1809. Marriage publications were on the 3rd and 10th of Dec

Appreciate corrections/additions.

John
numero 19
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
JOHN08
Master
Master

Post by JOHN08 »

Erudita,

Thanks for your help!

I have a question about recording the surnames that I have found. For example, in regard to Cristina Iacovelli, how would you record her name in a genealogical software program: Cristina Iacovelli, Cristina di Iacovelli, Cristina DiIacovelli, or Cristina D'Iacovelli.

In addition, how a surname is recorded in the Italian vital records varies: birth records, marriage, death, etc.

Erudita, how do you record the surnames?

Regards,

John
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

John
You may want to read the following link which addresses this issue-

http://www.genealogy.com/articles/over/heard120601.html

I think it’s a matter of personal choice as to how you choose to enter surnames in you software program. Just make sure you are consistent in how you do so, or you may have difficulty locating individuals in the surname index option in the program, or you might end up with individuals not being connected to the appropriate ancestry. I would just use Iacovelli and indicate spelling change in the note section for a particular entry, or you could follow it with a backslash and then the alternative spelling, or you can use Iacovelli and put D' or di or Di in parentheses in the individual entry. You just have to see what works best for you. Also if you have a surname such as Di Gennaro, I would omit the space in my entry in my software program.

I have a problem where a middle letter of a surname was changed by priests in their records in the 1600s.The patriarch has an R in the middle of the surname. His son had an R when he married, but then his children had an L in the middle instead of the R, and he had an L in his death record. Then the subsequent generations had the L and the R was completely lost. So for the patriarch, I typed his surname with an R. For the son, I have it typed with an R followed by a backslash and then the surname with the L on the same line of the entry. Then it changed again in the U.S. It had a single L on the passenger list, which is how it remained through all of the Italian state civil records, but then it acquired a second middle L in all other U.S. records. So then I have the surname with the single L followed by a backslash followed by the surname with the double L for the immigrant. His American born descendants all have the double L in their entries. This works as far as generating a descendant report, but the individuals are not in alphabetical order in the surname index.

Erudita
JOHN08
Master
Master

Post by JOHN08 »

Erudita,

Thanks for your great explanation and article. Starting now, I will your use your method of recording the surnames into my software program.

John
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Hi John
Glad you found the article useful. I hope my method works out for you.
Erudita