Matrimonio - di Rago & Pizano

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
abbywhite650
Veteran
Veteran

Matrimonio - di Rago & Pizano

Post by abbywhite650 »

Hi,

Is someone available and willing to translate this for me? Names, dates, relationships, etc.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

What I knew before I found this.

Husband: Ascanio di Rago (approx 22 years old)
Wife: Raffaela Pizano (approx 19 years old)

Thanks,
Jackie
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Matrimonio - di Rago & Pizano

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The Ascanio di Rago mentioned in this record is a peasant farmer, the son of Paolantonio di Rago and he marries Anna Maria di Milita, so it is not the correct marriage record.

Angela
abbywhite650
Veteran
Veteran

Post by abbywhite650 »

Thanks Angela, I'll keep looking.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome, Jackie. I notice that the years you are looking through have no indices at all. If you would like me to help you look through one of the years page by page, let me know which year you haven't looked through, and I'll help. I'll have some time tomorrow to do this.

Angela
abbywhite650
Veteran
Veteran

Post by abbywhite650 »

Hi Angela,

I've looked thru 1819 from January to September being that their son Francesco was born March 6, 1820.

I looked thru 1818 until I found the one cited above.

Raffaela was 21 in 1820 when her son was born so I don't think she got married before 1818.

I could have missed it, or they could have married in a different community.

I only look at the field where the husbands name is located because I can't read Italian.

I appreciate your offer to help, but I hate to use your time if I missed it or they got married in another town.

Jackie
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

MARRIAGE NO 35: ASCANIO RAGO AND MARIA RAFFAELE PISANI
Viggiano: 13 October 1816, 10 pm
Groom: Signor Ascanio Rago, 20 yo, possidente (landowner) living in this town, Strada Valle, no number, minor son of the late Francesco di Rago, who died in this town on 13 September 1812, as noted in the Death Act registered in the same town and on the same day and which was presented to us; and the son of Signora Lucia de Blasiis, 64 yo, possidente, living with her son, who gave her consent.

Bride: Signora Maria Raffaele Pisani, 16 yo, possidente, living in the abovesaid town, Strada Congugazione, without number, minor daughter of the deceased Francesco Pisani, who died in the aforementioned town on 13 November 1806, as noted in the Death Act registered in the same town and on the same day and presented to us; and the daughter of Signora Rosangiola Solitto, 58 yo, same profession, living with her daughter.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Angela
abbywhite650
Veteran
Veteran

Post by abbywhite650 »

Wow!

Thanks so much Angela!

I never would have guessed that she was married so young.

Jackie
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome, Jackie. Glad I found it for you, it's tough going through these records when you don't know the language. I've refined it to a quick method now and I have the advantage of being able to read the language.

You'd be surprised at how many married at such a young age, and even younger.

Her mother was Signora Rosangiola Sollitto - spelt with two "L's" not one. I've noticed I omitted one "L" in Sollitto. Sometimes my keys stick.

This a great marriage record because it gives you the death dates of both respective fathers. It tells you where you will be able to find Francesco di Rago's 1812 death record and hopefully it mightl have his parents names on it which will take you back further. Sometimes these earlier records don't have this info though.

Angela:-0
abbywhite650
Veteran
Veteran

Post by abbywhite650 »

Thanks Angela,

This is the first marriage I have so far before the age of 20.

I was extremely happy when I saw all of the "extra" information from this record.

Thanks for the correction on the last name. They seem to be changing with each document. Any suggestions on what they actually are?

Pizano or Pisani?

Rago or di Rago?

I am so grateful to you and this forum for all of the help you provide.

Jackie
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Regarding the variation in the spelling of the names, I would say don't get too bogged down with it at the moment. Variations in spelling happen a lot in the records and it can be frustrating for people, especially like me, who like everything to be perfect. Just be on your guard and make sure that everything else matches, correct parents, correct spouse, dates etc. If you work backwards and estimate dates etc (although they can be way out too at times) it "usually" all fits into place. You can always ask here for a second opinon if you are not sure.

With the Pisani/Pizano variation I have this in my records as well. Personally, I tend to think that your surname is spelt Pisani, based on the fact that Pizano doesn't appear in the white pages, (although not all names appear there anyway), but also because, from memory, it was the midwife who reported the respective birth/s where the name was written Pizano??? She might not have known the correct spelling etc? Sorry, there's not an easy answer for this question. Always happy to help, otherwise.

Angela
abbywhite650
Veteran
Veteran

Post by abbywhite650 »

Thanks Angela, your explanation helps a lot. The midwife part makes so much sense to me. Thanks again
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome, Jackie. Glad it helps.

Angela:-0