Gruppuso - Monticciolo Marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Gruppuso - Monticciolo Marriage

Post by sacesta »

This one has got me totally stumped.

I'm looking for the marriage record of Giuseppe (Joseph) Gruppuso and Antonia Monticciolo married sometime in the mid 18th century.

I found them in an index of marriages from 1750 through 1781. The record is on page #36. Ok, great!

So, I go to page #36 and, as so often happens, they're not there. So I look at pages in the immediate vicinity and I find the record below on page #37. I feel that this should be the record I'm looking for, and I can read the names Joseph, Gruppuso, and what I think is Monticciolo but I can't make any sense of the record. The surnames don't seem to follow given names and the general format of this record seems to be somewhat different from other records I've found thus far. And my Latin skills are woefully deficient.

Can you please help me decipher this?

Thanks once again,

Steve

Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Gruppuso - Monticciolo Marriage

Post by erudita74 »

Steve
This one's been really difficult. I think I have some but not all of it. Hopefully not too many errors. I'll have to look it over some more, maybe over the weekend.

Dated Feb 9, 1755
Groom: Maestro Giuseppe Gruppuso. It looks like they wrote Giuseppe for his father, but then that the name was crossed out. The name in its place could be Vincenzo, but I'm not 100% on this. The mother was Giuseppa Tobia. They were a married couple living in the town of Calatafimi, of the Mother Church under the subtitle of S. Silvestre Papa.

Bride: Antonia Monticiolo (spelled with one c and not two in the record). Her parents appear to have both been deceased -Vito Monticiolo and Giuseppa Alonzo. I haven't been able to decipher what is after their names other that they had been a married couple when they were alive.

The banns of marriage were on Jan 12th, 19th, and Feb 2nd and no impediments were detected from them.

Witnesses were Maestro Giovanni Accardo. It looks like he was the parish priest of S. Julian, son of dec Maestro Alexis Accardo and Antonina (?) Cangemi, so I'm confused by his title and may have misread it. The other witness was Maestro Gaspare Monticiolo, son of deceased Cristofaro Monticiolo and dec Giovanna Cappello.

That's as far as I got with this one. When I first looked at it, I couldn't read any of it.

Erudita
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Thanks Erudita. I'm totally lost with this one!
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Steve
Will try to walk you through everything sometime this weekend.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Cangemi was living- not deceased. I now see the abbreviation for the word living after her name. Only her husband was deceased. I also see that the groom's father's name was crossed out as, it was originally written as the Latin for Giuseppa, which was the mother's name.
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Thanks Erudita,

Based on what you said in particular about Josepha's name being recorded incorrectly and subsequently crossed out I can now see the names of some of the parents of the wedded. I was looking for their names much further into the record, expecting to see information about the parish, the priest and the wedding banns towards the top.

I can now see Joseph Gruppuso (the groom) and his mother, Josepha Tobia. The groom's father's name is difficult to read. It could be Vincenzo as you suggest, but it also looks like it could be Francesco to me, also, spelled out in it's entirety.

I do now see Antonia Monticciolo's name (spelled with one C), but I can't discern either of her parent's names. I'll take your word that they are Vito Monticiolo and Giuseppa Alonzo.

I also see the names Gruppuso and Monticiolo further down in the record, perhaps before where the names of the witnesses appear. This is what caught my eye initially, and where I was looking for the names of the wedded.

I can now see Gaspare Monticiolo and Giovanna Cappello too.

It's a huge help to look at the record with some idea of what names I'm searching for. Without your help this record looks like gibberish to me.

La ringrazio molto per il tuo duro lavoro!!

Steve
Steve Acesta

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Actually, now I can see Vito and Josepha (Giuseppa) Alonzo at the very beginning of the 6th line of the document. Thanks so much for your help Erudita!!
Steve Acesta

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

I'm incorrect about the groom's father's name being Francesco. I think you're right, it may be Vincenzo (very poorly written). I need to work on my knowledge of Italian and Latin given names :)
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I still think the groom's father is a Vincenzo and think the initial V matches the first letter of the name Vito. The letter is not written upright. It is more angled to the right.

Also, as to the witness Accardo. He was from the parish of St Julian. I misread the abbreviation for parish as an abbreviation for parish priest. So his title of Maestro makes sense. The witness Gaspare Monticiolo was of the Mother Church-so he was a member of the parish of S. Silvestre Papa.

I still can't figure out where the bride and her family were from. I see Torre di, or Terra di, and can't make out what follows that.

I'm glad you're finding the lines where the names are written. Count up 10 and 11 lines from the signature at the bottom. The last 4 words on line 10 and then line 11 have the dates of the banns.

Erudita
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Ok, yes. I see that now. They're spelled out - duodecima, decima nona e secunda. Thanks!!
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Steve
After the Monticiolo surname on the 4th line down is the word "oriundo"=originating from.. The next line has the name of the place, which I can't decipher. Then I believe that it says that from infancy (that is abbreviated) she was living in this parish (Mother Church in Latin). So the family would have been members of the parish of S. Silvestre.
Erudita
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Thank you Erudita!
Steve Acesta

mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

"Antonia Monticiolo oriunda ex Caterina Virg(ine)" ???
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I'm wondering if the Monticiolo family was originally from the town of Vita in Trapani Province.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

On the fifth line down after the date at the top, where it talks about the parents. They were formerly spouses of (it looks to me like Terra Vita follows that.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vita_(Italia)
la terra di Vita