Translating birth/baptism record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
casagrande

Translating birth/baptism record

Post by casagrande »

Could you please translate my record. I found it under the name Cuneo Pietro Giuseppe, but I think the record states Casagrande.
Found on Family Search.com
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1482818

Thank you,
Linda
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translating birth/baptism record

Post by erudita74 »

June 30, 1825 date of birth and baptism of Pietro Giuseppe (surname should be Casagrande).*

Father: deceased Paolo Casagrande

Mother: Anna Maria Cuneo, wife of deceased Paolo Casagrande (these are the parents of the infant Pietro Giuseppe (Casagrande). Her father was deceased Caroli (Charles).

* possibly he used his mother's surname (Cuneo) due to the fact that his father was already deceased when he was born, but I've not seen this done before.
casagrande

Post by casagrande »

Thank you so much for all help and time. The family name Cuneo carried on, never knew it should of been Casagrande.

Best Regards,
Linda
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome, Linda. BTW, often when an infant is born from an unknown father, then the child would carry the mother's surname. So I find it surprising that the deceased father's surname is given as Casagrande, and yet Pietro carried the mother's surname. My husband has an ancestor who was born months after his father died, yet he still carried the father's surname.

Here's a link to info about the church of S. Andrea in Verzi, Lorsica, where Pietro was baptized (sorry, it's in Italian)

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiesa_di ... _(Lorsica)

Also he was widowed at the time of his marriage to Vittoria. The death record of his first wife is there as well.

Erudita
casagrande

Post by casagrande »

You have been very helpful with my research. Finding out alot. Once again many thanks.

Linda