Two pictures in Sicily?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
QwertyO

Two pictures in Sicily?

Post by QwertyO »

I think I have attached two pictures of my great grandfather in Italy in the 1950's or so. My husband and I are planning a trip and I'd like to go to these same places since I believe they are part of my ancestry. My first guess is somewhere in Agrigento, Sicily. If there is anyone who knows and can help me out that would be fantastic!

Thank you so much...I hope the photos are attached, I can't tell.

-Susan
Attachments
IMG_9395.jpg
img.jpg049.jpg
QwertyO

Re: Two pictures in Sicily?

Post by QwertyO »

Also, are they city markers or grave sites? I do have relatives with the last name of Girgente but also know that people may have been named for the cities they lived in.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
QwertyO

Post by QwertyO »

THANK YOU! Everyone here is always so fast and helpful, I appreciate all the information. I look forward to adding these monuments to the list of things we be sure to visit!

Appreciate your time and help!

-Susan
QwertyO

Post by QwertyO »

Is this a picture of just the one monument with the word "Girgenti" on it? I looked at it again and it looks like that is the first picture for definite sure. Does anyone know where the second monument is?
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

QwertyO wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 02:10 Is this a picture of just the one monument with the word "Girgenti" on it? I looked at it again and it looks like that is the first picture for definite sure.
http://www.agrigentoierieoggi.it/wp-con ... s/50-2.jpg

MCMXV MCMXVIII
GIRGENTI
orgogliosa adorante
XXIV giugno MCMXXIII
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

QwertyO wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 19:54 Also, are they city markers or grave sites? I do have relatives with the last name of Girgente but also know that people may have been named for the cities they lived in.
People wouldn't be named for the town they lived in. After all, the purpose of a surname is to distinguish someone - what would be the point of a surname that could apply to everyone who lived in a town? Rather, they sometimes acquired surnames corresponding to a place where their ancestors had come from, or believed to have come from. So someone with the surname Girgenti was someone who had a ancestor living somewhere outside of Girgenti whose ancestors were believed to have come from there.