staro, italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
tessarojm

staro, italy

Post by tessarojm »

i have been trying to find out if Staro is a village or a region. also where is it located. thank you! johnny
tessarojm

Re: staro, italy

Post by tessarojm »

ok i found out that staro is a section, but in what region? that is what i need help with! thanks
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Johnny,
(on the toolbar to your left under databases)
Locations in Italy
plug in staro for 'part of location is'
should work!
vj

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/index.php?name=locs
tessarojm

Post by tessarojm »

thanks valerie, thats a cool tool. can you explain townships, sections, and hamlets to me please?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Johnny, I'll give it a shot by quoting from an excellent book:

from John Colletta, PhD Finding Italian Roots
" ... genealogical research in Italian records is impossible without knowing the comune (town; plural is comuni) where your immigrant ancestor was born. This is because many civil and religious records in Italy are kept at the local level, and those that have been removed to a remote repository are still maintained according to comune. From the very outset, therefore, it is important to understand the fundamental administrative structure of Italy:
Italy is divided into twenty regioni (regions; singular is regione). Tuscany, Lombardy, Puglia, Sicily, Abruzzo, Campania are all regioni. Each regione contains from one to nine provincie (provinces; singular is provincia). The five provincie of Compania are Avellino, Benevento, Caserta, Naples and Salerno. Each provincia contains many comuni, one of which serves as the capo luogo (provincial capital). The name of the province and the name of its capo luogo are always the same. The capo luogo of the province of Trapani is the city of Trapani; the capo luogo of the province of Pavia is the city of Pavia. Some Italian communities are so small they do not have their own mayor, but rather fall within the adminstrative jurisdiction of a nearby comune. These are called frazioni di commune, or simply frazioni (villages; singular is frazione)."

Regione, Provincia, Comune, Frazione:
Veneto, Vicenza, Valli Del Pasubio, Staro

does this look correct?
vj
tessarojm

Post by tessarojm »

yes, that makes sense to me and thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Johnny, you're welcome.
We're all ready to help!
Let us know if you get stuck.
Valarie :wink:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This question comes up quite a bit, excellent explanation VJ...
DeLisa