Search found 116 matches

by legnoduro
24 Apr 2010, 22:55
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Help with translation with 2 back of picture cards.
Replies: 10
Views: 6114

Re: Help with translation with 2 back of picture cards.

Ciao FrancineNJ, The salutation is from Domenica, a female. I am having trouble reading some of the script but I believe it reads: Goodbye and kisses to my nephews (nieces or both). A kiss to your wife and to you I give you a hug. Your sister, Domenica Although I would wait for a more experienced tr...
by legnoduro
24 Apr 2010, 22:09
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Thank you note, update
Replies: 6
Views: 4660

Thank you note, update

Ciao a tutti, I have received an email from Cosenza explaining the cost for an atto di matrimonio. I am sending the requested importi and want to include, in a handwritten note on a copy of the email, which references the atto and its number, a brief note. Is this considered rude and should I send a...
by legnoduro
11 Apr 2010, 21:54
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Help reading name on manifest
Replies: 16
Views: 6827

Re: Help reading name on manifest

Thank you Laura and Tessa for your time. I greatly admire your researching abilities.

Joseph
by legnoduro
11 Apr 2010, 17:38

Laura,
I am so sorry! You are right, I misread my documents. Your descriptions are absolutely correct!
by legnoduro
11 Apr 2010, 17:33

Pink
Yes these are his records, although the one you labeled WWll should be WWl.
By the way, he also claimed his birthday as December 28, 1888. That is the date he used on his SS app.

Tessa,
In both years he spells his name Emidio Sereno.
by legnoduro
11 Apr 2010, 17:21

He was single when he arrived here. I have located him on the 1920 and 1930 censuses but no luck with the 1910.
by legnoduro
11 Apr 2010, 17:09

Tessa
I found the same. My grandfather also used the name Emidio. The manifest sure does look like Emilio. What do you think?
by legnoduro
11 Apr 2010, 16:45

Yes it is Fagnano Castello. His mother's name was Filomena Rinaldi and his father's name was Francesco.

I have searched the 1910 census looking for him with no luck. He lived with his Uncle Matteo Rinaldi in Elizabeth NJ. I thought the earliest spelling might help me.
by legnoduro
11 Apr 2010, 16:21

Help reading name on manifest

Ciao a tutti, My grandfather went through several permutations of his surname. The last surname used was Sereno. I have made several attempts to obtain birth records and I suspect it has to do with the wrong surname. I have put a link to his manifest, his name is on line 6. Would someone with more e...
by legnoduro
29 Dec 2009, 00:01
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Scafatuna
Replies: 13
Views: 14877

Re: Scafatuna

Could the word be cafarùne? I understand this word in Calabrese dialect means gully or ravine (burrone in Italian). "Mettere in cafarùne" could make idiomatic sense, or am I really stretching it here?
by legnoduro
26 Dec 2009, 23:28

Interesting post, Peter, but what is your point?
by legnoduro
26 Dec 2009, 20:18

Ciao Cavecreekmommy, Schiafatone (this is how my mother spelled the name) was my nonno's favorite (He was Calabrian)! I fell in love with it as a child and still prepare it today. The rigatoni are generally a bit larger and the schiafa part, as I understand, implies the swelling of the pasta from th...
by legnoduro
27 Oct 2009, 21:40
Topic: Carmine De Luca back to Italy
Replies: 3
Views: 3340

Re: Carmine De Luca back to Italy

Grazie per l'aiuto!
by legnoduro
27 Oct 2009, 18:52
Topic: Carmine De Luca back to Italy
Replies: 3
Views: 3340

Carmine De Luca back to Italy

Ciao a tutti! My great-grandfather (bisnonno) Carmine De Luca came to America with his wife and children in 1911. After the death of his wife he returned to Pietrelcina, Benevento Italy where he died in about 1959. How can I trace his return trip to Italy and ultimately find his death certficate. I ...
by legnoduro
24 Sep 2009, 15:56
Topic: Name difference in two documents
Replies: 4
Views: 3738

Re: Name difference in two documents

I think you're right. I am trying to find another example from someone else or a blank copy to determine the column headings. Unfortunately the copy I have is very hard to read.