Search found 387 matches

by Poipuo4
30 Jan 2007, 15:44
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Surname Decrecento?
Replies: 3
Views: 3590

Surname Decrecento?

I just obtained my great grandparents' marriage certificate from New York. It has the names of my great great grandparents (who remained in Italy): Nicola Insarda and Alfonsina Decrecento. I am not sure if I am making out the handwriting for Alfonsina's last name. It could be Decrecinto. Is that fam...
by Poipuo4
25 Jan 2007, 18:43
Topic: What should my next step be?
Replies: 1
Views: 3966

What should my next step be?

I would like to find more information on my great grandfather. I got his name from my grandmother's Italian birth certificate. I don't have his date of birth. I can only estimate it based on the birthdate of my great grandmother, which was 1873 (assuming that they were close in age, which is not alw...
by Poipuo4
22 Jan 2007, 14:49
Topic: Limongelli family from Paduli, Italy
Replies: 14
Views: 16158

Re: Limongelli family from Paduli, Italy

Hi, it is nice to find another Limongelli descendant. That was my grandmother's maiden name so the name has not continued through our branch of the family. My grandmother had a brother, Alfonso Limongelli. His son, William, is the last Limongelli that I know of in the U.S. We also had a great uncle ...
by Poipuo4
11 Jan 2007, 19:26
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: What does "ci lega" mean?
Replies: 2
Views: 3659

What does "ci lega" mean?

This is nongeneaology related, but can someone tell me what the last part of this sentence says. Is the last part, "but there is something special that binds us"?

Sono veramente
contenta di avervi conosciuto,e non so perchè,ma c'è qualcosa di
speciale che ci lega.
by Poipuo4
10 Jan 2007, 17:27
Topic: St. Francis Orphanage; New Haven CT; help finding orphans
Replies: 13
Views: 24727

Re: St. Francis Orphanage; New Haven CT; help finding orpha

I have two more suggestions: call St. Francis Home for Children on Prospect St. in New Haven, 203-777-5513. Perhaps they are related to the old institution and have archives or go to www.ct.gov. Go to the dept. of children and family services and see if they have any archival information or court re...
by Poipuo4
10 Jan 2007, 17:22
Topic: St. Francis Orphanage; New Haven CT; help finding orphans
Replies: 13
Views: 24727

Re: St. Francis Orphanage; New Haven CT; help finding orpha

Did you see this thread off of ancestry.com's orphan's board: Surnames: St Francis Orphanage - New Haven CT was organizd in 1865 under the management of the Catholic Church. It's name was changed to Highland Heights and remains open today. Located on Highland Street, New Haven, CT Re: St Francis Orp...
by Poipuo4
09 Jan 2007, 13:59
Topic: Records of ships leaving the U.S.?
Views: 2932

Re: Records of ships leaving the U.S.?

No, I think he left for good. I had posted about him earlier on this forum (Guiseppe Insarda from Feroleto). Everyone was very helpful. We were able to find his Ellis Island manifest and also a 1910 census (under the name Guispeppe Ingarda). The family lure is that he left the US and died in Italy a...
by Poipuo4
08 Jan 2007, 17:46
Topic: Records of ships leaving the U.S.?
Views: 2932

Records of ships leaving the U.S.?

Do they keep records of ships that left the U.S. to return to Italy? I have a suspicion that my great grandfather returned to Italy sometime around 1912 from New York. Would there be any records that would substantiate his departure? It appears that the Ellis Island records are all arrivals.
by Poipuo4
27 Dec 2006, 14:51
Topic: Family Certificate questions
Views: 2624

Family Certificate questions

I have two questions about a family certificate: it looks like the head of the hosuehold has an abbreviation in the column next to his name which is either l.s. or I.s. Down the same column, it says in Italian the relationship of each person to the head of the household. Do you know what l.s. or I.s...
by Poipuo4
21 Dec 2006, 19:39
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Women and surnames
Replies: 22
Views: 35685

Re: Women and surnames

Nuccia: I am glad to hear there is someone else with a very long hyphenated name! I have a very long Italian maiden name and an 8 letter married name. It confuses a lot of people too.
by Poipuo4
21 Dec 2006, 13:51
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Do you know what this means? Maricote and dimentaci
Views: 2911

Do you know what this means? Maricote and dimentaci

I received a letter from Italy from a friend, and she said that she wanted to send me a certain regional "dimentaci." From the context, I can tell it is some sort of food. It is possible I can't read the handwriting. Any guesses what this is? Any words that sound or look like that? Also, d...
by Poipuo4
20 Dec 2006, 15:00
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: What Italian traditions do you observe at Christmas time?
Views: 4032

What Italian traditions do you observe at Christmas time?

We still do the fish dinner on Christmas eve, but we have Americanized it a bit, with linguini and clam sauce, filet of sole, and shrimp, instead of all of the traditional fishes. Ah yes, and those wonderful anisette cookies with the sugar icing. Yum! :lol:
by Poipuo4
14 Dec 2006, 18:44
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Women and surnames
Replies: 22
Views: 35685

Re: Women and surnames

I am sure there are other people more qualified to answer this, but from my reading, women in Italy today usually use their maiden names professionally and their married names in social settings. They do not hyphenate, like some of us tend to do.
by Poipuo4
13 Dec 2006, 14:01
Topic: Need help finding info. on Guiseppe Insarda
Replies: 14
Views: 8244

Re: Need help finding info. on Guiseppe Insarda

Thank you everyone! I just got back to the computer this morning. I am amazed with everything you have discovered. I found out that Dorothy's birth name was Alphonsa and that she changed it to Americanize it, so you did find the correct family. Also, that is the correct person (Nick) you found in th...