Search found 10 matches

by Nocta
15 Sep 2007, 19:20
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Translation of US Documents for NYC Consulate
Replies: 2
Views: 3788

Translation of US Documents for NYC Consulate

The information sheet from the NYC Consulate web site states that my father’s and my birth certificates and marriage certificates must be translated into Italian. Can anyone in the NY/Long Island area give me an idea of the price range and suggest some translators? Also, I read somewhere that the ...
by Nocta
14 Sep 2007, 15:26
Topic: Hit brick wall - need expert advice, please!
Replies: 5
Views: 6834

Re: Hit brick wall - need expert advice, please!

It turned out that the mistake in my grandather's mother's name was made at the commune when they digitized the records. When the original document was checked, the names matched.

So, don't give up until you have exhausted every possibility. I also want to thank Suanj for her tremendous help!
by Nocta
17 May 2007, 02:27

Re: Hit brick wall - need expert advice, please!

mler - thanks for your input. The names on all documents must be identical, so this will definitely be an issue. I agree that getting the marriage certificates may help, but it took me six months to get my great grandfather's birth certificate, and I have have no information about his father. If you...
by Nocta
16 May 2007, 03:24

Hit brick wall - need expert advice, please!

There have been some excellent exchanges in this forum and I'm hoping an expert can help with this one. I have spent a year gathering all of the documents needed for the NY consulate. I just realized that my grandfather's mother's maiden name on his birth certificate from Italy is completely differe...
by Nocta
17 Feb 2007, 16:59
Topic: Choosing a commune for civil status
Replies: 0
Views: 2183

Choosing a commune for civil status

I read a post somewhere which stated that you don't have to apply for civil status in the commune of your ancestor. Is this true, and are there advantages to registering in larger communes such as Rome or Florence?
by Nocta
17 Feb 2007, 16:30
Topic: Question about NY Italian Consulate
Replies: 3
Views: 3836

Re: Question about NY Italian Consulate

I think New York State requires an official request from the NY consulate. I went in to the consulate and brought a letter template: "To Whom It May Concern: Mr. X came into our office to apply for Italian Citizenship. Among the required documents is the ---- certificate of ------." They r...
by Nocta
17 Feb 2007, 16:14
Topic: NY Consulate Timeline
Replies: 9
Views: 9228

NY Consulate Timeline

I have an appointment at the NY consulate in March to submit all of my paperwork (finally!). Does anyone know approximately how long it now takes the NY consulate to process applications? Any inofrmation/tips would be greatly appreciated. (Sorry if you already read this in the Genealogy forum - I po...
by Nocta
17 Feb 2007, 16:07
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: NY Consulate timeline
Replies: 1
Views: 3004

NY Consulate timeline

I have an appointment at NY consulate in March to submit all of my paperwork (finally!). Does anyone know approximately how long it now takes the NY consulate to process applications? Any inofrmation/tips would be greatly appreciated.
by Nocta
12 Jan 2007, 19:44
Topic: Problem getting birth certificate from service
Views: 4084

Re: Problem getting birth certificate from service

VaDeb, john_dominic and Julie- thanks very much for your advice. Coincidentally, I received this message this morning: "My apologies for the length of time it has taken for me to respond. We did contact the the comune by telephone, and they asked for the application to be faxed. However, there ...
by Nocta
12 Jan 2007, 00:39
Topic: Problem getting birth certificate from service
Views: 4084

Problem getting birth certificate from service

Hello all - I'm a newbie, so forgive me if this issue has already been adressed and I missed it. On August 2 I paid (via PayPal) ICGS (www.myitaliancitizenship.com) for two copies of my grandfather's birth certificate from Polla (Provencia di Solerno). On Sept. 11 I received a note saying that I had...