Search found 212 matches

by jwazevedo
13 Apr 2012, 06:35
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Bordessa Family, Garzeno
Replies: 16
Views: 12899

Re: Bordessa Family, Garzeno

Civil records for Como Province have been scanned and posted to Ancestry.com, which means that those of us with Garzeno origins have easy access to birth/death/marriage records going back to the mid-19th Century. Many libraries in North America have a subscription to Ancestry, and maybe the same is ...
by jwazevedo
28 Jul 2011, 19:55
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Italian military service and emigration
Replies: 6
Views: 2101

Re: Italian military service and emigration

This is all starting to make sense to me now. My GF was 17 when he arrived in the States, alone. It seems that it's possible the government might not have stopped a youth from emigrating, even if he was nearing military age. I had thought that Italy wouldn't issue a passport in those circumstances, ...
by jwazevedo
28 Jul 2011, 07:27

Re: Italian military service and emigration

Thanks for your thoughts, Karen and Ann. My grandfather was not quite 18 when he immigrated. His military record shows that he was called to service the following year, but was given an extension because he was out of the country. The next year, having not reported, he was listed as a "deserter...
by jwazevedo
27 Jul 2011, 18:48

Italian military service and emigration

My grandfather came to the U.S. in 1906. I've been able to locate his military records from the Archivo di Stato, and he's listed as a "deserter" for failing to report for military service. I understood that a young man of that era could not get out of the country without some proof of mil...
by jwazevedo
28 Mar 2011, 16:08
Topic: Proof of military service
Replies: 2
Views: 1135

Re: Proof of military service

Thanks, Carmine. I've sent off the request, and we'll see what happens.

Grazie,
Jerry
by jwazevedo
27 Mar 2011, 17:31
Topic: Proof of military service
Views: 1135

Proof of military service

My grandfather emigrated from Como in 1906. I understand that he would have needed a passport and proof of military service. Where might I find this "proof of military service"?

Grazie,
Jerry
by jwazevedo
21 Feb 2011, 03:23
Topic: The trip of the Italian immigrant to America
Views: 1708

Re: The trip of the Italian immigrant to America

Thanks, Riccardo. I hadn't known about the travel agent that went from village to village.

I've been searching for a book that deals specifically with the Italian immigrant experience but haven't yet found one that addresses my questions. I'll keep searching.

Best,
Jerry
by jwazevedo
18 Feb 2011, 06:10
Topic: The trip of the Italian immigrant to America
Views: 1708

The trip of the Italian immigrant to America

My grandfather left northern Italy in 1904 and traveled on the French Line out of Havre to New York and then onto California. I'm trying to find details about the process he might have gone through along the way. For example, where did he get his ticket for the passage, how might he have traveled to...
by jwazevedo
09 Feb 2011, 17:06
Topic: What is my next step?
Replies: 8
Views: 3255

Re: What is my next step?

Jim,

http://www.nonsolocap.it/

Click the region in "CAP per regione e per provincia" and then click each province to see each comune. You'll find contact info there as well.

Good luck,
Jerry
by jwazevedo
05 Feb 2011, 23:16
Topic: What is my next step?
Replies: 8
Views: 3255

Re: What is my next step?

Jim, This is exactly where I started with my GF. Have you sent a request to the comune of Castellammare di Stabia for your GGGF's birth record? That will give you info about his parents. If the FHL has films for that town, you can go through birth records to find siblings. A search of immigration re...
by jwazevedo
03 Feb 2011, 18:05
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: An excerpt from an immigration record
Replies: 10
Views: 8823

Re: An excerpt from an immigration record

Thanks, Bob. I've sent you a PM.
Jerry
by jwazevedo
27 Jan 2011, 06:13
Topic: Success in Vancouver
Views: 1528

Success in Vancouver

I’ve just returned from the Italian Consulate in Vancouver, BC, where I learned that my application for recognition of citizenship had been accepted and my birth recorded in my late grandfather’s comune of Garzeno. I could not have done this without the advice and support of this forum, so I wan...
by jwazevedo
27 Jan 2011, 06:03
Topic: The USCIS waiting game
Replies: 4
Views: 2374

Re: The USCIS waiting game

I seem to remember that the consulate just needs to SEE the original. Then they make a copy and return the original. Would this work for you? Would your father have an objection to the consulate making the copy as part of their official business? Could you ask USCIS whether the U.S. government permi...
by jwazevedo
27 Jan 2011, 05:56
Topic: correcting name mistakes in CA
Views: 1514

Re: correcting name mistakes in CA

Hi Doug, Most of these discrepancies seem to be either a simple spelling glitch or a straight translation of the name from Italian to English. In my experience with San Francisco, such discrepancies didn't cause trouble. You might want to file a "one-and-the-same" affidavit for each person...
by jwazevedo
10 Dec 2010, 01:21
Topic: Backlog in San Francisco?
Replies: 4
Views: 2149

Backlog in San Francisco?

Does anyone have any direct information on the current time to process an application for recognition of citizenship through the SF consulate?
Thanks,
Jerry