Search found 10 matches

by Diomedes1962
10 Oct 2010, 08:59
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Replies: 20
Views: 24797

Re: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy

P.S. There are also many movies filmed in Abruzzo, including, of course, George Clooney's 'The American' (based loosely on Martin Booth's 1990 book 'A Very Private Gentleman'). The Abruzzo Film Commission has a website with a directory of movies shot in Abruzzo: http://www.abruzzofilmcommission.org ...
by Diomedes1962
15 Mar 2010, 08:00
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Replies: 20
Views: 24797

Re: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy

Alicia,

I don't know where he was from but one day I might find out - he could have passed for Italian, but my Mom's Irish DNA is where I get my looks (and people often think I'm German - maybe somthing to do with the Scandinavian Vikings who colonised parts of Ireland many centuries ago!).
by Diomedes1962
02 Mar 2010, 22:54
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Replies: 20
Views: 24797

Re: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy

Alicia,
Some French go there, as do some South Americans, who I guess have family connections and the town is twinned with Perth in Australia, so you do hear the occasional Aussie accent and a there are a few Americans, now and then (and Harvard runs a Summer School there). Abruzzo is considered by ...
by Diomedes1962
02 Mar 2010, 22:36
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Replies: 20
Views: 24797

Re: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy

Peter,

That's great. I love all that stuff. I have visitied L'Aquila a few times and it's great for the mountains (and the August meteor showers which just about coincides with the big summer holiday all across Italy). Next time I'll take a more closer look at the local DNA.

Much appreciated ...
by Diomedes1962
02 Mar 2010, 22:10
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Replies: 20
Views: 24797

Re: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy

Alicia,

I think my family are mostly Irish and I live in the UK but I've never been to Eire (my Mom is a Cassidy) so it's strange that I go to Italy a lot, but it's so seductive (food/wine/history/style/sunshine). We also go there because there are no English tourists and the Italians love wine but ...
by Diomedes1962
02 Mar 2010, 21:16
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Replies: 20
Views: 24797

Re: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy

Alicia,

When I saw the name De Filippis I just thought: that looks familiar, you must be a true Vastese.

Vasto is a great place for a vacation: Vasto Marina (low town on the sea) has lots of hotels and Vasto town (up the hill) has a real history. Underneath Piazza Rossetti is a Roman amphitheatre ...
by Diomedes1962
02 Mar 2010, 20:49
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Replies: 20
Views: 24797

Re: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy

Alicia,

Unfortunately not, but I can see that you maybe do: http://www.viagginrete-it.it/struttura% ... p?id=17836

But we visit every August.

Robert.
by Diomedes1962
02 Mar 2010, 20:33
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Replies: 20
Views: 24797

Re: Vasto, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy

Alicia,

Nineteenth Century: Edward Lear Illustrated excursions in Italy – 1846 (includes the Abruzzi)
1842 Visits Sicily, April-May, and the Abruzzi, July-October. 1843 Returns to the Abruzzi, September-October.

Twentieth Century: The Abruzzo Trilogy, by Ignazio Silone
Set in the 1930s, the ...