Search found 16 matches

by hopemax
03 Sep 2010, 01:19
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: documents for hopemax
Replies: 37
Views: 16010

Re: documents for hopemax

Thank you Jim. One of the previous documents you sent me was a death certificate for Francesco Javiero Ghiura. So I believe, these are his children. Since I have never seen it before, what does the fn Oronzo after that part of the name represent? Is it part of his name, reference to his father (&quo...
by hopemax
19 Aug 2010, 17:06
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Options when records only say "Italy"
Replies: 12
Views: 6649

Re: Options when records only say "Italy"

I thought I would do a little update, because I now know where this family came from. I called my Grandma to get more information about her aunt Maria and uncle Louis. She called a few of her older relatives and found out about a cousin, who is Maria's grandson. He has been researching the genealogy...
by hopemax
07 Aug 2010, 19:32

Thank you so much for trying. You have given me so much more info than I ever expected.

I hope I can return the favor someday.
by hopemax
05 Aug 2010, 22:58

Reviewing what I know (or think I know, lol) Father: Oronzo born ~1847 location: unknown, death - unknown, possible Italy between 1901-1906 Mother: Maria Teresa Ballerino born ~ 1857 in Venosa, death - unknown, in USA Children with confirmed births: Orazio: born 12 Feb 1888 Ludovico: born 19 Oct 189...
by hopemax
05 Aug 2010, 21:33

Unfortunately, pegging his birth at 1889-1890 is already making him older than I thought. The US records (marriage, death and family memory) give an age that would have his birth in 1892. It's the immigration records that give me the 1890 timeframe. His brother Ludovico, had listed a US birthday of ...
by hopemax
05 Aug 2010, 19:43

Yes, the documents have been very helpful. It's nice to have confirmation that the family was in Santa Maria, parents names, and the additional sibling info. But, yes, just as many questions as answers. Do you have the files for post-1900? There was another girl on the immigration manifest, Maria Gr...
by hopemax
05 Aug 2010, 18:17

Thank you Tessa and Jim! Looking briefly, Orazio does belong to my family. Which, is very interesting to me. I have a census record for an Orazio Ghiura and his wife Anna living in Brooklyn. I always wondered if this was an older brother than had come to America before the rest of the family. My gra...
by hopemax
05 Aug 2010, 15:09

While I don't know Italian, I did have 3 years of high school Spanish. So the numbers and months are very similar. I also did a bunch of transcriptions for the World Archives Project on Ancestry.com. Those were English records, but it was the same type of slanted, "is than an n or two separate ...
by hopemax
05 Aug 2010, 04:11

The other two birth records, are these correct Assunta (I can't make out the other two names, the one looks like Virginia to me, but I don't think that's right :) ) Ghiura Recorded: 30 Oct 1895 @ 1:00 PM Birth: 29 Oct 1895 @ 11:30 PM Gennaro Pasquale Ferdinando Ghiura Recorded: 21 Sept 1898 @ 8 AM B...
by hopemax
05 Aug 2010, 03:33

Ok, I am using my Italian primer and some examples. I am looking at the 6th link which is for my great-grandfather's brother. And I want to make sure I am doing this right The record of birth was recorded on 19 Oct 1892 at 1:00 PM Father: Oronzo Ghiura, age 46 residing in the same city (Santa Maria ...
by hopemax
05 Aug 2010, 02:23

I should have looked at these in order. The first one is my great-grandfather's sister who is listed on the immigration manifest. Gennaro was not, so I am guessing he died while very young. My grandmother is going to be so excited!
by hopemax
05 Aug 2010, 02:20

Jim,

Thank you so much! I can see in the third image, that it references Maria Teresa Ballerino, which is my great, great grandmother! I'll definitely have to look over these closely!
by hopemax
20 Jul 2010, 21:25

The best place to find birthplace is on a manifest, but early manifests sometimes have little or no info as you have found out. Both names are very common throughout Italy. (No help) However, Brigida's mother's last name Liberta is very, very rare. Acording to these sites, exists only in one place....
by hopemax
20 Jul 2010, 21:00

Whats the chances Giuseppe came over with a member of family. I found a Francisco Carbone married to a Angela Maria Avino? The immigration record that I suspect is his (appropriate age, in between the births of children born in Italy/US) was a ship that seemed to be carrying male peasants between t...
by hopemax
20 Jul 2010, 20:45

I have not researched the other children, but now that is my next strategy. Speaking of which, I know Louis was associated with the mob, and was incarcerated for a period of time. But other than assuming it was a New York prison, I don't know dates. Is there a way to obtain prison records, and would...