Search found 46 matches

by Cherry
05 Mar 2011, 14:57
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Ummm... Prostitute?
Replies: 18
Views: 12529

Re: Ummm... Prostitute?

Let me add concerning Ann's comment, that many of my lines seem to reach a partial dead-end in the 1810's / 1820's with an atti di nascita which lists the father as ignoto and gives the child his/her mother's surname. So, perhaps morals were a bit looser in that time and place, or, as Ann suggested...
by Cherry
20 Jan 2011, 17:37
Topic: Eggs cooked in tomato sauce.
Replies: 32
Views: 29444

Re: Eggs cooked in tomato sauce.

I have to add my understanding that serving meatballs with pasta is probably an American invention. Meatballs, or polpette, are generally found in southern Italy where they are served as a main course or in a soup. Lol You were right. In fact I know what meatballs are, a popular dish because it's u...
by Cherry
19 Jan 2011, 06:35
Topic: Eggs cooked in tomato sauce.
Replies: 32
Views: 29444

Re: Eggs cooked in tomato sauce.

What exactly meatballs are made of? I heard that you put them also on pasta dishes, is it true?
by Cherry
16 Dec 2010, 19:54
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Bertone in Provincia di Pavia?
Replies: 29
Views: 20370

Re: Bertone in Provincia di Pavia?

Holly thanks for the great pictures on Bertone area. Really beautiful. I was twice in the Cinque Terra area of Italy and if I had known then about Ottone-Bertone area I would have visited it. If I ever go back I will definitely do so. Ernest Hemingway visited Ottone's valley (Val Trebbia) in his la...
by Cherry
16 Dec 2010, 19:16
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Italian Movies with English Subtitles
Replies: 8
Views: 8286

Re: Italian Movies with English Subtitles

One of my favorites (not action though) is Divorizio all' Italiana, hilarious. La Dolce Vita is also worth the watch. I just picked up Una Giornata Particolare and am looking forward to watching it. Really, anything with Marcello Mastroianni is worth a try. Another good one is La Vita e Bella, but ...
by Cherry
16 Dec 2010, 18:41
Topic: Teaching English in Italy - realistic?
Replies: 18
Views: 24283

Re: Teaching English in Italy - realistic?

Check these out: http://www.britishschool.it/british/job-opportunity/job-opportunities.html http://www.britishinstitutes.it/pagina.php?idp=219 Don't let yourself be scared from the word "british" I believe that this isn't a strict requirement :-) There one of this private school in almost ...
by Cherry
30 Nov 2010, 09:12
Topic: Marriage During Lent?
Replies: 4
Views: 4973

Re: Marriage During Lent?

She might have been pregnant or they might have had a "fuitina" which then obliged to a quick wedding (or an everlasting shame).

Cherry
by Cherry
23 Nov 2010, 09:09
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Unresponsive comune, its been almost a year!!!
Replies: 63
Views: 27430

Re: Unresponsive comune, its been almost a year!!!

I heard him: he was very sorry, he had seen my email but he forgot to check when he had the chance. He promised me to check it next Thursday, when he'll be again in Bobbio.

:-P
Flo
by Cherry
15 Nov 2010, 10:02
Topic: What does 'cura' mean in "della Cura di Cosel
Replies: 14
Views: 5922

Re: What does 'cura' mean in "della Cura di C

The common symbol for a word that has been broken in two lines is = Example: co= mune or comu= ne the confusion and difficulties about hyphenation is completely mutual from the "Italian" point of view vs English. I remember my English teacher saying: don't even try to split a word into two...
by Cherry
14 Nov 2010, 14:39

I found out the hierarchy, although in Italian: Il Curato è il presbitero che regge (o meglio reggeva) una curazia, ovvero una chiesa minore o cappella dotata di propri beni patrimoniali (beneficio ecclesiastico curato), dipendente da una pieve (chiesa matrice), ma che aveva ottenuto il fonte batt...
by Cherry
14 Nov 2010, 09:28

Thanks cherry - I wonder if anyone knows if there is an hierarchy? Sorry Livio I don't have a scanner :-( I found out the hierarchy, although in Italian: Il Curato è il presbitero che regge (o meglio reggeva) una curazia, ovvero una chiesa minore o cappella dotata di propri beni patrimoniali (bene...
by Cherry
13 Nov 2010, 10:48

I believe Cura stands for Parish. I don't know if there's a particular hierarchy in these different way to call them, mostly sure there is, but in Italian you can call a priest: Prete or Curato. So, the Curato must have a Cura, a church at least. So the sentence should say that they got married in C...
by Cherry
11 Nov 2010, 18:44
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: help needed to find town of ancestors
Replies: 21
Views: 7385

Re: help needed to find town of ancestors

You see from the list JamieCApaldi provided that most of the Anselmi come from Piacenza and its province. Secondly comes Alessandria and Vercelli, in Piedmont, and then just one record from LaSpezia province, which is in Liguria, same region as Genova. Take into account that part of the Province of ...
by Cherry
10 Nov 2010, 22:14
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Contacting the commune: regular mail versus fax?
Views: 5569

Re: Contacting the commune: regular mail versus fax?

I think a fax should be good enough. If you want to be 150% sure, Then write an e-mail also, mentioning that you've sent along a fax, for in Italy a fax has a "legal course" while an email not (but it's simpler to read) and if you choose mailing, I would send a "Raccomandata con ricev...