Search found 441 matches

by Anizio
13 Nov 2017, 02:39
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Colecchia
Replies: 1
Views: 45

Colecchia

Hello, I found a website with some interesting information on my Colecchia ancestors from Pescocostanzo (AQ). I have only trace them to the 1700s, but this site seems to have a lot more information. http://www.nobili-napoletani.it/Colecchia.htm It references a book: Sabatini G., “Scritti editi ed in...
by Anizio
13 Nov 2017, 02:37
Topic: Using Mother's Surname
Replies: 7
Views: 215

Re: Using Mother's Surname

I have seen many instances of records of people who are listed with their mother's surname. Never the baptism. Anizio, this was in the bride’s [Concetta Caligiore] baptism extract in the allegati where her mother was given with her mother’s surname. It was not the baptism of her mother [Rosa Cavale...
by Anizio
05 Nov 2017, 07:38
Topic: Florence
Replies: 4
Views: 139

Re: Florence

Sorry but I know that......I was asking about the digital records at the link I posted. There are digital records predating 1700s for Florence online. I just want to know if they are for one Parish or all parishes....
by Anizio
01 Nov 2017, 16:28

Re: Florence

The antenati site does not go back to the 1700s....which is my starting point here :(
by Anizio
31 Oct 2017, 22:14
Topic: Using Mother's Surname
Views: 215

Re: Using Mother's Surname

I have seen many instances of records of people who are listed with their mother's surname. Never the baptism. In my experience it tends to be the same circumstance that leads to the presence of "alias" "detto" or "vulgo" in records where people have two surnames. More more prevalent pre-1800s. In f...
by Anizio
31 Oct 2017, 22:02

Florence

Hello, my cousin and I just found out we have ancestry from Florence. One of our ancestors, Filippo Maccarelli was born in Rome in 1771. His father is listed as Pietro Maccarelli of Florence. I found this resource, but I am a little unclear. Does it give access to ALL baptisms of Florence, or just t...
by Anizio
31 Oct 2017, 21:58
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Alias
Replies: 21
Views: 375

Re: Alias

An alias, also known as a vulgar surname (vulgo) and sometimes written as "detto" means the family had multiple surnames recognized in the community. There are many posts in this forum discussing it.

I myself have many family lines with aliases.
by Anizio
29 Sep 2017, 02:52
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Recent Passenger Manifests/Immigration
Replies: 1
Views: 133

Recent Passenger Manifests/Immigration

Is there any way to get access to immigration records or passenger manifests for someone who went to the US in the 1970s?
by Anizio
19 Jul 2017, 15:43
Topic: Searching for information on the Ferraiolo family.
Views: 359

Re: Searching for information on the Ferraiolo family.

adelfio wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 17:35
Send this email for civil records with a photo id

You do not need to send photo ID for civil records unless they ask. Name and address is usually enough. Photo ID is more for when you are sending someone there on your behalf as a proxy.
by Anizio
16 Jul 2017, 22:15
Topic: Sharing tree info
Replies: 13
Views: 534

Re: Sharing tree info

it absolutely irritates me when people keep anything but their living people private. It means I have no idea what is in their tree so I have no idea if we are a match when ancestry suggests we may have one. Especially since I have a vast tree, and almost always can help other people more than they ...
by Anizio
15 Jul 2017, 02:46
Topic: Spelling of LoRusso/Lorusso changes meaning.
Replies: 5
Views: 404

Re: Spelling of LoRusso/Lorusso changes meaning.

Anyone who told you changing the capitalization of the R changes the meaning made it up. First of all, the only way to know the meaning of your name is to trace its origin, one generation at a time, until it first shows up in your family tree. That will likely give you the closest thing to a meaning...
by Anizio
14 Jul 2017, 22:25
Forum: Genetic genealogy
Topic: Ethnic Percentage
Replies: 2
Views: 818

Re: Ethnic Percentage

Remember ethnic % is an estimate of YOUR individual personal ethnicity, not a suggestion about the % of your ancestors who were of that ethnicity. You do not have DNA from all ancestors, and those you do you do not have in equal parts.
by Anizio
14 Jul 2017, 20:26
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: the use of "ALIAS" & "DETTO" in Church records
Replies: 8
Views: 969

Re: the use of "ALIAS" & "DETTO" in Church records

You will not find many church records online, scanned, or on microfilm if you find any at all. It requires visiting, having someone go there, or writing letters and emails to parishes and diocese archives. You must also be very cautious. There will be many people living at the same time in the same ...
by Anizio
14 Jul 2017, 18:54
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: the use of "ALIAS" & "DETTO" in Church records
Replies: 8
Views: 969

Re: the use of "ALIAS" & "DETTO" in Church records

Alises in civil records are very rare. Just as the requirements of the Council of Trent for churches to start creating records causes many cases of double-surnames, the beginning of civil records with the Napoleonic era in Italy started eliminating them. It still happens, and I can think of a few ex...
by Anizio
13 Jul 2017, 22:12
Topic: births
Views: 349

Re: births

Exactly what erudita74 said. I have had so many people telling me stories about how their ancestors were born out of wedlock and I had to correct them. So many of my grandparents' parents and grandparents around that time were born to parents married in a church and only married civilly years, somet...