Search found 24 matches

by DCPandaFan
01 May 2021, 20:15
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: surnames on 1862-1876 map
Replies: 10
Views: 818

Re: surnames on 1862-1876 map

These Italy maps are a digitized version of maps originally produced by L'Istituto Geografico Militare. They are incredibly detailed, drawn to scale, and show land elevations and even the types of crops planted, as well as local place names.
by DCPandaFan
18 Apr 2017, 01:31
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Reasons for coming to America
Replies: 8
Views: 12646

Reasons for leaving Southern Italy

Here is a little information on the Southern Italy of 100-150 years ago. In the late 19th century, most of the people in Southern Italy were poor, and many were landless. Landless people either sharecropped or worked on other people's land in exchange for food for that day and some to take home to t...
by DCPandaFan
02 Mar 2017, 02:49
Topic: Meaning of "Gio: Batta"?
Replies: 5
Views: 3116

Re: Meaning of "Gio: Batta"?

I've seen Gio: in very old records where it stood for Giovanni, or Gian in a compound surname.
by DCPandaFan
02 Mar 2017, 02:05
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: L'Aquila - Paganica...
Replies: 5
Views: 3667

Re: L'Aquila - Paganica...

If you can read in Italian, the Italian Wikipedia does have some information on Paganica and Fagano Alto. The entry on Paganica includes a lot of the history. Paganica is part of the comune of L'Aquila. Fagano Alto is a tiny comune located a few comunes away from L'Aquila. Both Paganica and Fagano A...
by DCPandaFan
12 Dec 2016, 04:03
Topic: Newspapers
Views: 10531

Re: Newspapers

Sometimes the La Stampa archive search function just doesn't work. Maybe there are too many people online all at once. Try it again later. I have used it many times and when it isn't working so well, I let it go to another time. When it works and I get a good hit, it more than makes up for the times...
by DCPandaFan
25 Nov 2016, 20:42
Topic: Newspapers
Views: 10531

Re: Newspapers

Il Centro and other Italian newspapers. At the following link is the online archive of newspapers affiliated with the big Roman daily La Repubblica: http://ricerca.repubblica.it/ricerca . Click "ricerca avanzata" to open the full search screen. Next to the long search box is a drop-down li...
by DCPandaFan
22 Aug 2016, 22:52
Topic: Naming illegitimate children late 1800's
Replies: 30
Views: 11085

Re: Naming illegitimate children late 1800's

Great thread! I remember the first time I saw "da una donna che non consente di essere nominata" in an Italian birth record. I almost fell over laughing! I did not realize then that this was the stock language used by the town officials to identify a child whose mother did not want to be o...
by DCPandaFan
06 Jul 2016, 14:15
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Military Documents
Replies: 6
Views: 2294

Re: Military Documents

My guess is that not many soldiers kept their Libretto Personale after their recall terms ended, and practically none brought it with them when emigrating, simply because of the size of the thing. So now, 100 years later, not many are around and interest in them is low.
by DCPandaFan
29 Jun 2016, 01:58
Topic: Documentary Film
Replies: 20
Views: 17183

Re: Documentary Film

You may wish to check out the CinecittaLuce channel on YouTube. They have a mix of things there.
Also many neorealist filmmakers filmed ordinary people in the late 1940s and 50s, and many of these ordinary people were simple contadini. Riso amare is an example.
by DCPandaFan
29 Jun 2016, 01:42
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Recording previous names of cities/provinces
Replies: 2
Views: 3491

Re: Recording previous names of cities/provinces

A lot of comuni changed their names after unification because the national government had complained that there were too many similar place names. Because a lot of comuni had changed their names, there were several "gazetteer" type books published from the late 1860s and 1870s that cross-r...
by DCPandaFan
29 Jun 2016, 01:24
Topic: Relatives who marry someone with the same last name?
Replies: 7
Views: 2450

Re: Relatives who marry someone with the same last name?

Yes, first-cousin marriages AND marriages between people with the same surname and not unheard of in the Italian towns I've been looking at. I was told that in my father's town the priest would try to dissuade such marriages, but did not forbid them entirely.
by DCPandaFan
29 Jun 2016, 01:18
Topic: The meaning of initials C.V.V on a grave inscription
Replies: 8
Views: 3230

Re: The meaning of initials C.V.V on a grave inscription

If you go the Wikipedia link PippoM provided, on the left margin "In altre lingue" you can select English and read the English version which is a little shorter. The Italian govt created this order of knights to honor the World War I vets who were still living in 1968 and had served 6 mont...
by DCPandaFan
29 Jun 2016, 00:56

Re: Military Documents

Thank you for responding, erudita74! I am aware of the Cole book; I have been waiting for an updated version! The 2 documents I mentioned above corroborate genealogical facts found elsewhere, and so are being used mostly to add "color" and "depth" to the family history, some insi...
by DCPandaFan
23 Jun 2016, 04:55

Military Documents

Does anyone know where one may obtain a translation of these Italian military documents from the early 20th century: (1) Foglio di Congedo Illimitato; and (2) Libretto Personale ? The latter document is 64 pages long, and I'd rather not translate it myself if a translation (preferably an official tr...
by DCPandaFan
17 Feb 2016, 03:37
Topic: Find A Grave for Italy?
Views: 7870

Re: Find A Grave for Italy?

Here is some information on Italian cemeteries: 1. In the Napoleonic Era (early 1800s), each Italian town had to relocate its cemetery to outside the populated area, for health reasons. Sometimes you can spot the cemetery confines on Google maps. 2. A lot of towns re-used the cemetery land every 50 ...