Search found 193 matches

by kencwalker
31 Oct 2016, 14:54
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: re: italian citizenship questions
Replies: 2
Views: 327

Re: re: italian citizenship questions

Buongiorno mezzogiorno62, Assuming you meant "neither were US citizens at the time of his birth" (they did not naturalize), then yes, you should be eligible for Italian citizenship. Italy only recognizes citizenship by birth (jus sanguinis), so you have to demonstrate a continuous unbroken line of c...
by kencwalker
14 Oct 2016, 21:33
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: inscription on grave marker
Replies: 4
Views: 297

Re: inscription on grave marker

mmongo, Very Nice! Good stuff. Thanks! I can "see" it now that I know what it says. :) T, Thanks for confirming my read of the dates and the help on the ???. The wife's name was Lydia Olivia, but don't think that's part of the ???. The reference to 2 figli is interesting as he had 4 sons and 2 daugh...
by kencwalker
14 Oct 2016, 19:15
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: inscription on grave marker
Replies: 4
Views: 297

inscription on grave marker

Ciao IG members, I could use a little help reading and translating the inscription on a grave marker. The marker is in the Italian Cemetery in San Francisco, and written in Italian. It is for Bartolomeo Vallerga on FindaGrave, here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=44421529 The ...
by kencwalker
26 Sep 2016, 15:14
Topic: "recent" civil birth records
Replies: 8
Views: 857

Re: "recent" civil birth records

however when this child went to grandparents, the her data must be registered in the Commune ... If you have the possibility, you can search in the Birth records after 1912 , in the case of tardive Birth registration.... and if no luck to search in 1912 births of the surrounding towns records. suna...
by kencwalker
25 Sep 2016, 21:29

I would think the local Catholic Church would have record regardless since civil records were started around 1809 and in some regions quit using civil records until they started using them again but the Catholic Church would still record the birth and baptisms. Hi Ray, I replied before I read your ...
by kencwalker
25 Sep 2016, 21:18

sunaj and Italysearcher, Thanks for the info about foundlings. I don't think this relative is a foundling in that sense. She was not given up and raised by another family. I think she was raised by her grandparents after her mother immigrated to the USA (when the child was 3). Other evidence: she ap...
by kencwalker
25 Sep 2016, 19:17
Topic: Suggestions for a search
Replies: 3
Views: 523

Re: Suggestions for a search

Before searching in Italy, it's best to collect as much info as you can from US records. For example, do you have any immigration or naturalization info? Have you looked at Ellis Island ship manifests for find Luigi, Giacomo or Angela Lorenzo? Manifests after 1902 (or so) have last residence (and ma...
by kencwalker
23 Sep 2016, 18:44

"recent" civil birth records

I'm looking for feedback regarding civil birth records in the 1910-1920 time frame. Based on other threads, I assume all births were recorded , even if the mother or father was not identified. My previous research was the 1866-1910 era for ancestors in Cavaglio d'Agogna & Fontaneto d'Agogna (Novara)...
by kencwalker
21 Sep 2016, 05:25
Topic: finding invisible Italians in 1920 census
Replies: 5
Views: 575

Re: finding invisible Italians in 1920 census

Sometimes people just aren't in the right place at the right time, and no one gets around to counting them. Thanks, sounds like my ancestors spent 1920 in your family's 1930 census black hole. :) I hear you about the names or places defying expectations. I found Peter Greoge (aka Pietro Giorgi or P...
by kencwalker
21 Sep 2016, 05:09

Re: finding invisible Italians in 1920 census

Have you searched any city directories for that timeframe and region? Yes, I found an entry for Rene Pommier in the 1911-12 San Rafael city directory. I'm not sure why he's listed in the directory. According to the family legend, these 3 family members met while employed at the LaFarge French Laund...
by kencwalker
21 Sep 2016, 00:19
Topic: Feedback for professional work
Replies: 2
Views: 444

Re: Feedback for professional work

Since many of the board members have either hired professional genealogists or are themselves seeking compensation for their work and expertise, I think it would make this board a richer experience if there was a place to comment on the work of the professionals that are here "for-hire". Wonder wha...
by kencwalker
20 Sep 2016, 23:53

finding invisible Italians in 1920 census

Is there a forum category for “Invisible Italians”? If so, I have a "thought experiment" for the group regarding US census searches. My search for my GGF Carlo in the 1920 census has been frustrating (aka unsuccessful). Other family members have presented challenges, but none as hard as this. My fru...
by kencwalker
19 Sep 2016, 16:53
Topic: Ancestry.com “Hints” – Separating Facts from Junk
Replies: 3
Views: 620

Re: Ancestry.com “Hints” – Separating Facts from Junk

Ray, Thanks for sharing your tips. As I said earlier, Ancestry's "hints" are tempting.....but just that, "hints" (or maybe better described as a bookie's "tips" at the horse track LOL). The same goes for search results in FamilySearch. In some cases, they provide powerful research suggestions. I've ...
by kencwalker
19 Sep 2016, 16:31
Topic: Common Sense test
Replies: 28
Views: 2403

Re: Common Sense test

Can some one explain where FRED came from? Possibly a rough attempt to anglicize "Fortunato" In the 1910 census, my great uncle Carmelo somehow became "Thomas". Fortunato to "Fred" baffles me far less. :-) Yep, happens all the time. Some are obvious: Giovanni becomes John and Antonio becomes Anthon...
by kencwalker
17 Sep 2016, 02:29
Topic: Common Sense test
Replies: 28
Views: 2403

Re: Common Sense test

It's fascinating to watch this thread and the "Looking for Salminas" thread. I see it every day, and yet I'm still amazed how quickly this group can find so many leads with a few family facts. It's like watching a piranha feeding frenzy as the data is posted (in a good way).
Salute!
-Ken