Search found 44 matches

by cportante
14 Jan 2019, 17:37
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Researching Gattuso family in Valanidi, Calabria
Replies: 6
Views: 958

Re: Researching Gattuso family in Valanidi, Calabria

Until halfway the 18th century there was only one Valanidi with the parish S. Nicola. It was up in the mountains and was later on referred to as Valanidi Superiore. In the course of the 18th century people initiated a settlement near the coast which was referred to as Valanidi Inferiore. The first ...
by cportante
14 Jan 2019, 17:32
Topic: Researching Gattuso family in Valanidi, Calabria
Views: 958

Re: Researching Gattuso family in Valanidi, Calabria

I know this is a few months late... dangat - There is a Gattuso family Facebook group that you can be added to if you like. We try to get to the bottom of some of the connections between the Gattuso family and many of the other related families (from which I descend) in the Valanidi / Pellaro / Gall...
by cportante
12 Jan 2019, 00:24
Topic: Records for Castellbuno
Replies: 4
Views: 523

Re: Records for Castellbuno

Do you mean Castelbuono in Sicily?
by cportante
10 Jan 2019, 18:51
Topic: Prison records from 1830?
Replies: 3
Views: 439

Re: Prison records from 1830?

Thank you. Would that be the Archivio di Stato in the area where the crime was committed AND where he served the time? The crime was likely committee near the city of Reggio Calabria, so I assume the case file would be in the Archivio there, but I don't want to assume that. Do you happen to know of ...
by cportante
09 Jan 2019, 22:55
Topic: Prison records from 1830?
Views: 439

Prison records from 1830?

Ciao a tutti! Does anyone have an idea how I might be able to obtain prison records (or court records) from 1830? It appears, based on his daughter's marriage record and his death record, that my 5GGF (if I have ID'd him correctly -- only about 75% sure at this point) committed murder and was senten...
by cportante
20 Nov 2018, 17:26
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: San Severo (FG)
Replies: 1
Views: 777

Re: San Severo (FG)

Correction: It's L. Gallo, not Rossi.
by cportante
20 Nov 2018, 07:37
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: San Severo (FG)
Replies: 1
Views: 777

San Severo (FG)

Ciao, tutti! Does anyone have a good contact in the Stato Civile in San Severo (FG) by any chance? I have always had good luck with receiving information from other comuni and usually very quickly, but I have never gotten a response from San Severo despite several attempts over the course of months....
by cportante
05 Sep 2018, 06:44
Topic: Italian PM Giuseppe Conte
Views: 915

Re: Italian PM Giuseppe Conte

When I hear Prime Minister Conte speak with his distinctive Pugliese Italian accent, I am reminded of my wonderful Pescara dentist, Matteo Danza, who was also from San Giovanni Rotondo and had a beautiful photo of Padre Pio in his office (San Giovanni Rotondo being the town where Padre Pio is enshr...
by cportante
02 Sep 2018, 05:20
Topic: Searching Di Deo family from Abruzzo
Views: 851

Re: Searching Di Deo family from Abruzzo

Are you the same Jeffrey DeDay who has a family tree on Ancestry? If so, it appears you have a lot of information already, including his parents' names: Francesco Di Deo and Filomena Barattucci. His birthday, according to Stato Civile records, however, is not 8 November 1892 but 5 November 1893. The...
by cportante
02 Sep 2018, 01:37

Re: Italian PM Giuseppe Conte

by cportante
01 Sep 2018, 17:50

Italian PM Giuseppe Conte

Ciao a tutti! Current Italian PM Conte was born in Volturara Appula (FG), Puglia, was raised in S. Giovanni Rotondo (FG), and lived for a time in Vissuto (FG). He graduated from school in San Marco in Lamis (FG). Does anyone happen to know where his ancestors originally came from, though? Italian an...
by cportante
28 Jul 2018, 10:36
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: What is this profession, please?
Views: 487

What is this profession, please?

I am having trouble figuring out what this profession is, as I am not sure of some of the letters. Image attached. Thank you!
by cportante
07 Jun 2018, 02:14
Topic: Criminal history
Views: 726

Re: Criminal history

Hello mmogno! I thought you might be a contributor here, too! Thank you so much for these links I'm going to see if I can request the information by email; otherwise, it will be a project for me when I go to L'Aquila next year (hopefully). Erudita: Thanks again. I'm going to see if there was an arti...
by cportante
06 Jun 2018, 20:38
Topic: Criminal history
Views: 726

Re: Criminal history

Thank you so much for that link, erudita! I have been trying to find info on Italian penal code prior to its current manifestation and was coming up with very little. Someone on another board kindly translated those lines for me. I couldn't read the crime, but it apparently was "lesione" -- one time...