Search found 6 matches

by Kenan
20 Jun 2003, 15:17
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Origins of the surname Palanga?
Replies: 12
Views: 14625

There is no Palanga in Yugoslav telephone directory for Montenegro area. Peter

Yes, we added a slavic"-ich" extension to it long time ago so it's Palangic (Palangich) now. I was told this by my old uncle. I wasn't aware it was slightly changed, untill I spoke to him about r familly history.

It ...
by Kenan
20 Jun 2003, 15:07
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Origins of the surname Palanga?
Replies: 12
Views: 14625

Palanga (polangen) is the name of a research group led by a Ms Livshin at rlivshin@compuserve.com whom I have e-mailed her to request her knowledge of the Palanga surname since she is so heavily involved in the shtetl research she leads. I am surprised you never came across her name in your ...
by Kenan
20 Jun 2003, 00:02
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Origins of the surname Palanga?
Replies: 12
Views: 14625

please re-read what I said. Southern Italy is not the source of the Palanga surnamed people. The source is most likely Montenegro and Alabnia which is just across the Adriatic opposite both countries znd is a conduit for the flow of peopl into Italy and into other areas of Italy. Peter

Yes, u're ...
by Kenan
19 Jun 2003, 23:26
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Origins of the surname Palanga?
Replies: 12
Views: 14625

Hi Kenan,

the surname PALANGA is common in Puglia because the palanga or palanca is an instrument used to build the 'Trullo'.
The Trullo is an ancient stone build very common in the Alberobello area. here you can see one of them http://www.italyis.com/puglia/ars_hist/trulli/trullo2.jpg

The ...
by Kenan
19 Jun 2003, 22:20
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Origins of the surname Palanga?
Replies: 12
Views: 14625

Peter thanks for the nice reply!

The possibility that my ancestors came from southern Itally is indeed big one but there is one other thing I noticed while looking for origins in the secondmentioned Lithuania.

There is an italian word that is descriptive of a ground line stretched along the shore ...
by Kenan
19 Jun 2003, 19:05
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Origins of the surname Palanga?
Replies: 12
Views: 14625

Origins of the surname Palanga?

Hi folks!

My old familly name was Palanga and after some brief research, I came to the conclusion it is either of italian or possibly lithuanian origin.

I checked the Ellis Island immigration records and noticed almost all of the Italians with this surname were from the south of Italy. This is the ...