Search found 5 matches

by jdonofrio
15 Apr 2006, 04:10
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Tattoos
Replies: 40
Views: 72323

Re: Tattoos

Well, if you have Sicilian roots, you could try a trinacria symbol - which is symbolic of Sicily. I always thought these were pretty unique, not many people would have something like this! Here's an interesting one: http://www.tao.it/tritoneviaggi/ By the way, they are also a symbol of the Isle of M...
by jdonofrio
15 Apr 2006, 03:18
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Meaning of word Pretetta in Italian?
Replies: 4
Views: 4322

Re: Meaning of word Pretetta in Italian?

I don't have the documents posted on the web but I could email them if you wish to take a look. The name is written on two different documents, both written two times, for the daughter Rosaria Costanza and her father Andrea. Suanj, while Protetta is a good guess, it doesn't look like it is spelled w...
by jdonofrio
15 Apr 2006, 00:07
Topic: Meaning of word Pretetta in Italian?
Replies: 4
Views: 4322

Meaning of word Pretetta in Italian?

I recently came across the name Pretetta in an Italian marriage record (Avellino province), but it seems to be an obscure name. Possibly I am misreading the handwriting on the document. However, it is written several times on the document and looks like Pretetta. I did a Google search on this word, ...
by jdonofrio
27 Mar 2006, 08:14
Topic: Anyone have any experience with Catasti Onciari records?
Replies: 6
Views: 6508

Anyone have any experience with Catasti Onciari records?

I was wondering if anyone has done any research with Catasti Onciari records located at the Archives of Naples? (These are tax rolls that contain information on people living in Italy during the mid-1700 time frame.) Has anyone in this forum ever worked with these records? Did they provide any usefu...
by jdonofrio
01 Sep 2003, 23:03
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Meaning of family name Vendegna?
Replies: 18
Views: 17928

Meaning of family name Vendegna?

Does anyone know the meaning of the family name "Vendegna", or have any insight into the meaning? The family is from the Potenza, Basilicata Province area. It is not a widespread name. Some members of this family moved to the Denver area in the US, where the name is spelled "Vendegnia...