hi- I haven't been on site for a while. Was wondering if someone could give me their best attempt at a maiden name that I cannot read. The document is my great-grandmother's birth certificate. I just got a copy of it last year from a cousin. I am not sure if this is a copy of his copy or if he possesses the original but I have asked him to re-examine his copy to see if it is more legible. But I am too impatient! My grandmother thinks that her grandmother's maiden name was BUSILLI but from this document that is either misspelled or a different name altogether. I can see that the last few letters are ELLO and that it begins with a B or a P. I just can't seem to figure it out and maybe someone on-site knows of common last names from Campagna as a suggestion.
I knew my great-grandmother very well and she passed away when I was 12. It never occured to me to ask her her mother's maiden name!
Any help is appreciated - thanks
BTW - this is my first time attaching something (I think) - the site is stating the attachement is too big. It is a 8x10 paper that I scanned and it is now a jpeg...what can I do to post it here?
deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
- Marianne316
- Rookie

- Posts: 35
- Joined: 05 Feb 2006, 00:00
- Marianne316
- Rookie

- Posts: 35
- Joined: 05 Feb 2006, 00:00
Re: deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
okay - I am going to try again to attach this - I hope it works...
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
My best guess is BORRELLO.
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
I had a look at the surnames used in Campagna and found BORRIELLO.
Ada
Ada
- Marianne316
- Rookie

- Posts: 35
- Joined: 05 Feb 2006, 00:00
Re: deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
wow - thanks, guys! That is quite different from Busilli as originally thought.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
Looks like Boriello to me and there are 4 same spelling Boriello's in Provincia di Napoli. =Peter=
- Marianne316
- Rookie

- Posts: 35
- Joined: 05 Feb 2006, 00:00
Re: deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
I know these same parents had 3 other children:
Giuseppe - born April 2nd (yr?)
Assunta - born Nov. 18th, 1889
stillborn child @ 1893 - Giovanna died from childbirth complications with this baby
To be certain I guess I will have to see the other birth certificates and see if the name is more legible.
Does anyone have such access or can tell me exactly how to petition this information?
Giuseppe's family only consisted of himself, a wife and child - all of whom died young so that is a dead end - I am not even sure of his wife's name. I am not sure of the gender or actual DOB of the stillborn baby and I can ask the descendant's of Assunta's family is anyone has a copy of her birth certificate - she has one surviving child left and then grandchildren which are of my father's generation.
Again, your help on this is, and has been, appreciated!
Giuseppe - born April 2nd (yr?)
Assunta - born Nov. 18th, 1889
stillborn child @ 1893 - Giovanna died from childbirth complications with this baby
To be certain I guess I will have to see the other birth certificates and see if the name is more legible.
Does anyone have such access or can tell me exactly how to petition this information?
Giuseppe's family only consisted of himself, a wife and child - all of whom died young so that is a dead end - I am not even sure of his wife's name. I am not sure of the gender or actual DOB of the stillborn baby and I can ask the descendant's of Assunta's family is anyone has a copy of her birth certificate - she has one surviving child left and then grandchildren which are of my father's generation.
Again, your help on this is, and has been, appreciated!
Re: deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
Looking at the writing, one can see that the name is Maria ...
The first letter is an M, and I believe is that the last name is Maioriello
The first letter is an M, and I believe is that the last name is Maioriello
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
The focus is on the spelling in the text of the name on the line starting with DA and not the margin. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: deciphering maiden name on birth certificate
Names from the comune are:
Borriello
Buccella
Busillo
Borriello
Buccella
Busillo
